‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

But those three never played those characters while both franchises were still in active production. Evans took the role of Captain America after it was clear that his iteration of the Fantastic Four wouldn't continue. Ditto with Ray Stevenson playing Volstagg after Punisher: War Zone flopped. Jon Favreau was a slightly different case, in that he was a director first and an actor second on Iron Man and Iron Man 2, but again, both movies came years after Fox had moved on from Daredevil.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Very true. Besides, even if she is playing Diana (still a big "if" at this point), even that would start off as a supporting role before a co-(co-co-co-co-) lead in a Justice League movie. Any kind of Wonder Woman solo feature seems to be off on the distance somewhere.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Best not to, now that you mention it....

In addition to winning every major battle of World War II....

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I realize you're just joking, but that's actually not true. Ethan Edwards in THE SEARCHERS is very different from, say, Rooster Cogburn in TRUE GRIT or The Ringo Kid in STAGECOACH or whatever Wayne's character's name was in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE.

Anyway, aside from scheduling issues, what does it matter whether both franchises are going concerns or not? Are we saying that modern audiences are so easily confused that they won't be able to tell the difference between Sif and Wonder Woman? I mean, it's not like we have to worry about a Thor/Wonder Woman crossover film somewhere down the road, or that actors can't star in more than one series at once.

Last time I checked, nobody got Han Solo and Indiana Jones mixed up. Or Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. Or Professor X and Jean-Luc Picard. Or Gandalf and Magneto . . . .

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So you're saying Han and Indy aren't the same guy?

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Now, now, point of order. The recent trailer for Days of Future Past clearly shows that time travel is very possible in the X-Men world. And we all know time travel in Star Trek is pretty much as easy as snapping your fingers. You're telling me there's no way that Jean-Luc Picard is actually a mental projection of Professor X four hundred years into the future? :p

7. Greg Cox

And what's more, I'm pretty sure that nobody who sees Ender's Game this weekend is going to think that it's a sequel to Blade Runner.

Seriously, what exactly is the issue here? Why do we think that audience's heads will explode if (gasp!) they see the same actor playing two different characters in the same genre? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but isn't that how movies--and acting--have always worked?

It's called suspension of disbelief. You're not supposed to notice that that Mystique looks a lot like the girl in The Hunger Games . . . .

8. Turtletrekker

The girl in The Hunger Games can look like anyone she wants. She's a shape-shifter.

9. Greg Cox

Or maybe Mystique is just a big Jennifer Lawrence fan? :)

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Funny you should mention that. Earlier today I caught myself wondering for a split second if Indiana Jones would be in Star Wars Episode VII. :rommie:

Saw Attack of the Clones last night and that car chase on Coruscant looked like something out of Blade Runner.

Back to Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman... I've liked the idea for years. Looks like the idea came to a lot of people. It's the hair I tell ya.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Buster Crabbe played Tarzan, Flash Gordon, and Buck Rogers. He even played Buck between the second and third Flash serials.

In the 1960s? I thought Destiny was the one with precognition.

12. Greg Cox

Yep. And as I've mentioned too many times before, Tom Tyler played both Captain Marvel and the Phantom in the original movie serials. And Lon Chaney Jr. played the Wolfman, the Mummy, Dracula, and the Frankenstein Monster back in the day.

Hell, more recently Christopher Lee played Saruman in THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies and Count Dooku in the STAR WARS series, not to mention Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes, and Sir Henry Baskerville once upon a time.

Actors play multiple roles, sometimes in the same genre. That's what they do. I doubt that anybody ever objected to Humphrey Bogart playing Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe . . . .

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

All this is true, but it's also true that there's something of a historical rivalry between Marvel and DC, or between their fans. Although, as I said, that hasn't stopped countless people from working for both.

(I was surprised in reading Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation the other day that Scheimer worked briefly at Hanna-Barbera before founding Filmation. Having grown up in a day when Filmation and H-B were the DC and Marvel of Saturday morning cartoons (or maybe vice-versa) -- the Big Two battling for dominance -- I found that rather shocking and hard to conceive.)

14. Greg Cox

Yeah, I've always thought the "rivalry" was silly. It's not like they're sports teams or whatever. Ditto for Star Trek vs. Star Wars.

(Says the guy who has written at least eight books for Marvel and six for DC!)

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Stan played it as a joke, but some fans took it seriously. Me, I read comics from both.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you have been watching AMC Movie Talk, it seems that Thor's Jamie Alexander...has been talking to DC... and the insinuation is (they can't come out and say it, but the insinuation is definitely there) that she will be playing Wonder Woman in the Superman/ Batman debacle.

17. Turtletrekker

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah but this past weekend the insinuation was made even stronger as they had her on the show.

19. Greg Cox

"Debacle"? They've barely started filming.

Let's not rush to judgment here . . . ..

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well, it might be a good movie. There were elements of the first film that were quite good in my opinion.. and yes, I like novelizations more than most people, so I'd like to read your take on the script, but overall, Man of Steel wasn't good. It bored me with all of it's action. My buddy.. well, I felt bad for him. It look like he wanted to leave. There no ideas in the film, and little regard for what made Superman a great character. Notice that in the original films, superman wasn't so concerned with fighting Zod as he was in preventing people from being hurt.

But we will see....