All You Need is Kill..Tom Cruise does scifi again

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Mar 28, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: No wonder women leave his ass after a couple of years of marriage.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm not really interested in his personal life, but he didn't even make scifi for the first 75% of his career, now he has made Minority Report(in my top 5 best scifi movies of the 2000s), War of the Worlds, Mission Impossible (ok not scifi really but a tech thriller) Oblivion(which LOOKS terrific) and now this movie based on an alien war. MIGP made the msot money of ANY MI movie and had great reviews.

Yeah yeah he's short but so is a Hobbit!

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

He makes good movies. Action, sci-fi. I will watch em all. This one looks interesting already.

6. DarthTom

In all seriousness, perhaps Cruise's interest in sci-fi is related to his beliefs in Scientology and that -sci fi plays much into their belief system related to Xenu and the end of civilization?

Just a guess.

Regarding his stature in modern sci-fi - I'm not sure he's any bigger than Zoe Saldana, Harrison Ford, or Bruce Willis. And with SW coming up - and if Fisher, Hamill and Ford possibly showing up again - that will eclipse everything else out there.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cruise makes better choices, his BO grosses may be comparable with some of those (Ford hasn't had a hit in years) but the quality is better. Zoe's two scifi projects(ST09 and Avatar) make up $3.1 billion of her popularity.

Well Scientology itself is science fiction yes, but he never seemed to have interest in converting it to his films. Minority Report came out in 2002. Over 20 years of stardom later.

RAMA

8. DarthTom

Soon to be three. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

But of course!

10. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably not. I don't know if he has an interest in scifi per se, or if he simply realizes scifi/action films make money.

I don't care for either Minority Report, or War of the Worlds, but love Vanilla Sky, probably the only non-action scifi film he has ever been involved in. Probably why it didn't do so well too.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I watched the original movie Vanilla Sky was based on and preferred it(didn't know Vanilla Sky was a remake till the story seemed familiar), but I did forget that one, a year earlier than Minority Report.

12. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I have both Vanilla Sky and Open Your Eyes on DVD. I have only watched the original once, however.

Cruise has also been in at least two fantasy films, Legend, and Interview with a Vampire. Haven't seen either, though.

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the book. I'll probably watch the movie.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zoe Saldana? Are you crediting the box office grosses of Avatar and Star Trek to her? By that same standard, Jeff Goldblum was the No. 1 actor in the world after Independence Day and Jurassic Park.

Columbiana is more reflective of Saldana's draw.

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like Tom Cruise but I can't stop myself from watching his films. Guy picks good movies to be in.

16. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Will Smith is the king of sci-fi.

ID4
    MIB 1, 2, 3
    I Robot
    I Am Legend
    Hancock
    Wild Wild West

That's good for about four billion USD in worldwide box office revenue right there. "After Earth" is his next movie this year, and he also has a role in a fantasy movie called Winter's Tale.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Hamil was on The Neighbors yesterday.

Eclipse is truly the right word.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cruise is a bigger star than Ford or Willis at this point in his career so yes, by default he's a bigger skiffy star than anyone else. All expensive movies are made for the broadest possible audience.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

True, he probably is, though I still think Cruise makes better choices. Out of that list there are maybe 2 excellent movies and two above avg. After Earth looks good as well.

RAMA