DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Catwoman
    Supergirl

Ghostbusters

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

other than Billy getting $20 for saving a woman i actually enjoyed Justice League #0. i'm sure he'll learn his lesson about abusing powers soon.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

i hope so, because I seriously dislike Billy. I hope he learns his lesson in the most horrific way possible.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i don't care for New 52 Billy either. i'm sure he'll learn his lesson by the time Black Adam starts causing trouble.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Justice League #0: With Lee gone, I'm giving the book another shot. I've missed most of the Captain Mar....err Shazam stuff so far, but it kinda feels like I've missed nothing at all. I still don't like just how nasty Billy Batson is. This one may take some getting used to. Oh also: The Question! Eeeeeeeeeeh :D

Wonder Woman #0: Now that was interesting and unique. The story is told in a Golden Age style. The writing is exposition heavy, and the dialogue is hokey. They captured to feel perfectly. I mean, it's a straightforward and simple tale, but as a Golden Age homage it's aces. This was a seriously fun read.

Green Lantern New Guardians #0: In what freaking way is this a 0 issue? This is New Guardians #13 in all but name. It's nice to get Carol back into the fray, and I'm glad they've changed the ridiculous outfit. It's just...this is Zero Month, and this book is just continuing its story without any regard for that.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yesterday was a big day for purchases.

DC Titles...
    Birds of Prey #0
    Catwoman #0
    Green Lantern: New Guardians #0
    Justice League #0
    Supergirl #0
    Wonder Woman #0

Non DC Titles...
    Irresistible #2
    Irresistible #3
    Star Trek #13
    The Shadow #5

I was surprised to see that Irresistible #3 was out already. I didn't even know that #2 had come out. Fortunately I was able to get a copy. Looks like the comic shops got more copies in, so Trekker, if you're still interested, you might be able to get some back issues of both this and Comic Con Girl. They still go fast though. I got the last copy of #3. I think this series is the highlight of the week. They really kicked up the racy sexual content big time in both the writing and the art, and the story itself is compelling with events that have consequences.

I also got around to reading the first issue of something I picked up last year... The Beauty #1.

[​IMG]

It's about a modern world like our own, but where a sexually transitted disease has infected half the population. This "disease" however seems to have mostly positive effects. It causes the infected to become better looking and fitter, but with a slight fever (not enough to affect their day to day living though). Most people want it, and it's only one sexual encounter away. However, some groups out there see it as a danger and lash out with terrorist attacks. One day, a woman dies on the subway due to internal combustion. It's thought to be another terrorist attack on the Beauty and its carriers, but it seems that she died of "natural" causes. Could the Beauty be responsible? Our team of cops, which includes an attractive young woman who has been infected, are on the case.

[​IMG]

Top Cow put out this one issue as part of their Pilot Season. It could have been a one off isue and I read it thinking that it was, but found out that it got enough votes to make it to series. Read about the news here. And you can also read the entire first issue online here.

Okay, back to DC Comics... I can't wait to get to the other #0 issues. Most of the ones I've read so far have been pretty good. I especially enjoyed the Batman origin stuff.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

9. Admiral_Young

It'll be debated more once the issue comes out :)

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm cold.

Does this mean I can burn all my old Robin Comics?

I have enough to keep the house heated for two nights.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd just turn your furnace on, personally.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Use the comics. Better to use them for heat, there is no resale value.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm confused. If Tim still never joined Bruce until after Jason's death, then exactly what is the point of saying he was never Robin? There's still apparently no overlap of Robins in the new timeline.

14. Nerys Myk

Because he took the name "Red Robin" instead.

15. Admiral_Young

That doesn't explain why he takes the name Red Robin though...unless he does in order to somehow honour Jason's memory by not taking the name Robin in the story. The five year timeline is just dumb.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But doesn't this help address the issue of too many Robins in too short a time span?

(FORGET MY COMMENT, JUST READ THE REST OF THE THREAD.)

17. Nerys Myk

I'm sure Teen Titans #0 will address this.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking more about the theory that the timeline should be expanded: Batman operating for ten years, Superman for five-six. I agree the timeline should've been seven-ten, but I think DC is reluctant to out and out state that Batman was the first superhero, given that Superman was historically the first (1938) and so should be the first hero within the universe (its a meta argument, but it seems to be their direction).

The problem seems solvable by simply suggesting that Bruce Wayne did not operate as "Batman" until Superman first appeared in blurred form in Metropolis, but I can see why they want to keep it fuzzy.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe once they hit 14 Bruce lost interest and that is why there are so many Robins in such a short period of time.

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is DC comics. If history is any indication, they'll have a different timeline in the next five years anyway.