NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

And here's the latest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worked all day today on getting the base model for the helm fleshed out. Now it's time to detail it.

2. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure how important lighting is to the accuracy of your recreation, but all of those coloured lights on the bridge are too much. Are you lighting the set solely from those coloured overhead lights?
    From a quick observation (although I'm sure some diehard fan will know for a sure to correct me), it looks like the lighting on the bridge is from regular white spotlights in the center circle part of the roof facing across the opposite side to which they are on. I'm seeing a lot of top down shadows on those outer chairs in your renders. I don't think those coloured lights were strong enough to be casting shadows, and it's washing out some of your detail.

3. havoc92

I've got one omni per sconce at .65 multiplier and a single spot in the center of the bridge at .55. And yeah, I am liking the effect less and less. I put 3 omnis around the helm and barely got enough light on it to get it out of shadow. Put the spot in to add a little and it proved way too much even at .55; so, definitely have more tweaking to do in order to get the balance I need.

The real tell on just how much the omnis on the perimeter are doing is shown in the first image in the area around the viewscreen. There are no lighting sconces in that area and it is quite dark compared to the rest of the bridge. Need to find a fix for that as well.

4. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've done some searching and found a couple of photos of the bridge lights (hopefully the link works). If you look at this pic and the next one in the set, you'll see that the main lighting is in that center part as I suspected, most likely changed based on the camera angle. I don't think those coloured extra bits add any lighting. I don't know where the light source for the meshy bit over the turbolift door comes from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/4572906659/in/photostream/

If I were lighting that set, I'd probably add spotlights to match those approximate positions, then use final gather to sort out the rest. You may not want to go with a realistic final gather setup though if you want to keep that clean diagram type look though, plus your render times would be significantly longer.

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Nice work, havoc92! As someone who's tackled making original Enterprise interiors myself, I know this can be an undertaking! Love that you're putting so much effort in getting the console buttons canon!

6. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Dude- I dig the lighting... And it really does reflect what they did on the show. We've all seen scenes were a blue (and it was blue that was affected most) was more violet sometimes and blue other- in the same episode.

7. havoc92

Will probably work a bit on lighting before doing the next full bridge set render; but, here's where I currently am.
    Dug throught the prop auction pics to get some of the detail shots I needed.

[​IMG]

8. havoc92

Ok, been a busy boy today..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have to build the timer wheel mechanism for the chronometer. Next will be the targeting scanner and it's compartment.

9. havoc92

[​IMG]

So pretty much all the detail work is done for the chronometer. Got really good refs on the internals of the scanner that I've been pouring over
    and trying to get a handle on. So, the scanner is the next bit.

10. havoc92

Trimming polys at the moment; but, here's where the latest asset stands:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The amount of detail on the helm has it un-exportable; so, doing a lot of trimming to try and
    bring the polycount down. The compartment for the scanner has been cut in; but, the scanner
    at the moment will likely be handled as a seperate asset.

11. LibraryComputer

LibraryComputer Ensign Red Shirt

This is getting better and better. I cant wait to see it finished.

12. havoc92

Trimmed, exported. Took quite a bit of choppin; but, it doesn't show, so I'm happy ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DrMcCoy

DrMcCoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looking Great!!

14. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been playing with the lighting levels and looking at some of the reflectivity issues. Think I've about got them licked.
    Big problem is that the command platform was nearly white; so, it was reflecting everything back. I lowered the
    multipliers on all the perimeter lights by 10 percent and that helped substantially. But the lighting near the turbolift
    is still an issue I'm working. Part of the problem right now is that a section of glass that would filter the light is not
    in place.. hasn't been created yet. Another issue is that the ceiling area there includes two seperate lighting
    sconce types that I have not joined together as yet, so I'm getting a lot of bleed through as well. Real happy with
    the latest renders even with the remaining problems. ;)

15. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The set is looking good havoc92. I'm assuming that the command platform is still work-in-progress? In the reference pics I have it has black sides and carpeted top, so the reflections from it in completed form should be minimal. I think from looking at various pics of the bridge, the colored perimeter lights make little contribution in the majority of scenes and that a circular set of white ceiling lights is what does the primary lighting. Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

16. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Really goes without saying, but exceptional renders and work as ever.

Is the main viewer really that small?

dJE

17. havoc92

Yeah, figured I'd get the heavy detail stuff out of the way first so that the minor stuff is what I finish with. Had to mod the platform a bit for size before dealing with carpet, which will be a seperate mesh. So, there's a method.

The lighting is gonna be a tad bright for a bit while I troubleshoot problem spots where the light leaks through, etc. Then they'll be tamed even more. Probably end up dropping overall level by another 10-20 percent.

I've got shots of the upper dome area though and if there's an overhead light fixture, it isn't in the original footage. So, have to take a liberty there and build one that fits with what I can see. Was pretty certain there was one; just a matter of determining size and vertical ceiling for it. Already have spots in place; so, just a matter of building the fixture.

18. havoc92

Thank you and yes, the main Viewscreen is actually pretty big; just looks a tad small from that angle. But it is to spec ;)

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I actually kinda like the trippy light set up.

--Alex

20. havoc92

[​IMG]

Work has begun on the Command chair now. ;)