The smugness of Spiner

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by john titor, Jun 30, 2010.

1. john titor

john titor Captain

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From a couple interviews and stories, I get the vibe that he's kind of smug, but I don't necessarily get that vibe from the website. Aside all the glitz and effort put into his website, it's really no different than those for other actors' & celebrities' websites, which are basically online resumes in order to advertise and get work.

If you think he comes across as smug in the website, I'm afraid it's because he has to be. You're supposed to go above your usual self in resumes in order to attract employers.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Whoever he hired (or whoever one of his staff hired) to do the website design has done a great job IMO. It does seem a lot for an actor whose name isn't that familiar to the masses....

So I may see why one might interpet this as smugness.

4. john titor

john titor Captain

I like Spiners smug.

5. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The website's "latest news" hasn't been updated in nearly a year. Not that smug.

6. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

He has a slightly acerbic sense of humour which can come across as smug. No, I don't think he's smug, but I think he likes pretending to be. It can rub a few people up the wrong way, but I'm not bothered by it in the slightest; in fact I like it.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, I agree.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Commander Red Shirt

I don't know about smug, but the main page of that website is a little silly, with the different images from bit parts in fair to middling movies. These things flash by like you're looking at Pacino in the Godfather, Heat, Serpico...not quite the same as a slightly effeminate cruise director in a forgettable comedy.

9. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the web sites kinda cool.... I like the cross fade effect they use to pan through the various roles he played, and moving your mouse over it will let you adjust how it pans a bit.

Having a web site about yourself isn't always smug or arrogant.... He's an actor.... and actor who has plenty of fans. You can find a web site out there for just about every actor, musician or artists of some kind. It's how they show off their portfolios not just to their fans but also to any future employers looking for what they do.

Just because he's got a cool flowing web site, doesn't make him smug.

10. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I'm still wondering if he's gay or straight.

Not that it's any of my business. :shifty:

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

As a popular actor he probably feels he has a responsibility to provide an informative website for his fans. I ordered his great CD from there a few years ago and it was his signature on the customs declaration as well as the personalized on the CD case. If it was a boring website we'd have people complaining about that, too.

He's with a female partner and has a child with her, if that helps? He is married to publicist Loree McBride, with whom he has a son, Jackson Spiner, born 29 June 2002.

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smug? Nah.
    Self promotional? He has to be to land roles.
    As for his website, all it shows is that the person who designed it is very good. When your livelihood partly depends on image, you want the best you can get.

All of that said, he's still a very talented actor and a great singer.

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this is the impression I get of him through his Twitter feed. He has a somewhat oddball sense of humour, and I think he enjoys pushing people's buttons, so he tends to give that impression of being smug.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WTH kind of entertainer would he be if he wasn't smug, on some level? It's not like the guy is an undertaker. He's an actor/comedian

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Whoever put that thing together is a effing genius.

16. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    His website is beautiful and he has to put all those photos of his other roles because, while we involved with Star Trek know how good of an actor he is, Hollywood probably has stereotyped him and he'd like to explore different roles.

Personally, I'd like to see the guy get some more work. He's good.

17. Cornholio

Cornholio Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't even know he was still alive.

is he?

18. TheSpaceBiker

TheSpaceBiker Ensign Newbie

EDIT: sorry double post

19. TheSpaceBiker

TheSpaceBiker Ensign Newbie

In bio, it should just have clips of data's day in it :D
    (actually, just make that the whole site)

20. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I really like his sense of humour. I follow him on twitter and he is one of the better, most interesting people on there.