25th Anniversary of Super Mario Brothers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris3123, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

That video was neat. The NES games had a charm the new ones don't have...even though the game play & graphics are a zillion times better. :lol:

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I was born in 1987, but had an NES and must have played SMB through to the end at least a hundred times growing up.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Virtually the same formula pumped out for 25 years and we love it still, Shiggi must of sold his soul to the devil :lol:. I am waiting for a Super Mario Bros Wii 4 player sequel :evil: and I want a 2D galaxy while your at it :scream:

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

They forgot the Gameboy games...

6. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I don't know what it was about Super Mario Bros., but it was a huge hit back then. They had one in the corner store down the street from my middle school around 1987 and there would be mad foot race when school got out, and the game would be tied up for hours.
    That place had quite a string of classic coin-op games: Super Mario, Star Wars, Temple of Doom. There was a Gauntlet at the nearby supermarket. Good times.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are they starting with Super Mario Bros.? What about Donkey Kong in 1981 and Mario Bros. in 1983. Mario is actually a year away from his 30th anniversary.

8. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Those are both classics, but Super Mario was, I think, a MUCH bigger hit than those games. It was ridiculous. The NES was launched with Super Mario and I don't think the console would have been half as succesful if not for that one title.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

They forgot a lot more than that. I think a bunch were just left out on purpose, focusing only on the "highlights." But yeah, they omitted the Super Mario Land series, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Super Mario World 2, MarioKart, and others I am probably forgetting. Let's face it, there are just too many Mario games to cover in one brief video!

10. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think they were going for the games that make up the "core" of the Super Mario Bros. series. So, on a major console, and a straightforward platformer starring Mario.

Nintendo tends to do that with most of their franchises—look at Zelda, where the portable games are essentially side stories, and the console games are considered the "main" story.

EDIT: And then I realize that New Super Mario Bros. is in there. Nevermind. ;)

11. Robert Maxwell

Well, New Super Mario Bros. is in the same vein as the original, that's probably why it was included. "Franchise" games that aren't straight platformers didn't make the cut, though I'm baffled as to why Super Mario World 2 didn't make it in.

It's also a US-centric video since the original Super Mario Bros. 2 (released in the US as The Lost Levels) doesn't even bear a mention despite being huge in Japan.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Mario World 2 didn't make it because it was Yoshi centric. It was a prelude to the Yoshi games (like Yoshi's Story). The gameplay style was quite different too.

13. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

It looks like Nintendo are re-releasing Mario All-Stars on a Wii disc to celebrate.

Surely a virtual console release would have been more logical...?

14. Robert Maxwell

Sure, be all logical about it. :p

People will pay more for a disc!

15. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, all of the games in SMAS are on VC already. The new disc will appeal to the window-shopping crowd or those who prefer physical media.