sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully the third name on the list, Joe Hill, will be the driving force for this show. He's a capable novelist, an excellent comic book writer, and I'd love to see what a TV show from him would be like. The world was denied a Locke & Key TV series; here's hoping this new TFTD will make it to broadcast.

Episodic anthologies are a tough sell, though. The only current anthology show that comes to mind is the Haunting Hour on the Hub network. American Horror Story is close, but lasts a full season instead of independent episodes like the original Tales from the Darkside.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Sfy and fantasy so I'll gladly check it out, but the concept for Beowulf alone doesn't do a whole lot for me.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That is my hope.

Joe Hill is Stephen King's kid, right? I'm not familiar with his work, but if it's anything like his dad he could bring that eerie NE vibe to it. I just don't know if that's what the CW would be looking for; I kind of doubt it.

It seems like there's a few anthologies in the works. Every so often they try to make a comeback, but it would definitely be a tough sell in these days of serialized programming. But there's also a Twilight Zone revival in the works and Sciffy is working on something. I've never heard of Haunting Hour, so I'll have to see if I can track it down.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's funny. Animal Planet had a really well done anthology series a couple years ago. It was called The Lost Tapes and used the "found footage" trope. It dealt appropriately enough with mostly cryptids and beasts of legend and myth. It was very well done and entertaining. Didn't last long though.

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sounds cool. Definitely going to check this out.

Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King, but goes by Hill in an attempt to make his work stand on its own -- without the benefit of his father's notoriety (something I admire him for). Stylistically, he's very much like his father but his characters tend to much more distinct and fully realized. He certainly would bring a unique voice to the series. Also the New England flavor, hopefully.

6. RJDiogenes

^^ That sounds good-- if the CW lets him do it. Tales From The Darkside doesn't sound like the CW's style at all.

That does sound pretty cool. I never heard of it, otherwise I would have watched it.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Machinima And Ridley Scott Cancel Plans For Series Of Sci-Fi Shorts

Or not enough money...
    http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/11/21/machinima-ridley-scott-cancel-series-of-sci-fi-shorts/

I was looking forward to this. oh well.

9. sojourner

Re: Machinima And Ridley Scott Cancel Plans For Series Of Sci-Fi Short

Having a little trouble with cut and paste?

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

OPPOSITE WORLDS - new series - SyFy January 2014

OPPOSITE WORLDS TUESDAY, JANUARY 21 AT 10PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundos_Opuestos_(TV_series)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111715

when in the past and when in the (near) future?
    Any social experiment is interesting like Beauty and the Geek.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

AMC Orders Pilot for Galyntine

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like post apocalyptic stuff, so that is intriguing.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Arrgghh... too much SF is about apocalypse or technological regression. I think it's a lazy way to go. It's easier to have technology regress to stuff we had in the past than it is to use one's imagination to think of ways technology could move forward. But I read and watch SF because I want to see things I haven't seen before, things that are new and alien, not just a rehash of medieval times or whatever.

14. sojourner

Apocalypse settings are cheaper to produce than high tech future settings.

15. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends, filming in Detroit isn't that cheap either.

16. sojourner

Cheaper than building Detroit of 2500 CE.

17. Christopher

Which is, in a way, my point. They take less expenditure of thought, imagination, and research, and thus are less impressive and interesting to me. You see the same thing when space-opera writers over the decades have written about alien planets corresponding to various eras in Earth's past, so that they're really just disguised historical fiction. I just find that to be a bit of a cheat. When I read or watch something about the future, I want it to be actually about the future, not about the past dressed up as the future.

18. RJDiogenes

I was sick of the post-Apocalypse trope after Mad Max.

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gotta love Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development

20. Christopher

Well, the parallel Earths in TOS were about saving enough money to keep the show on the air, so at least they have an excuse. I'm talking about all the prose SF out there, stories that could depict anything, but that just fall back on medieval aliens fighting with swords and bows. That's simply a failure of imagination.