sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get why the CW would use a safer interpretation of the character, I just think the pill taking hero is a better story. Probably not the story for the broadcast outlet like the CW, but it would work on FX or AMC or one of the premium cable networks, where they tell edgier stories.

I'll still try the CW's version because I give all genre stuff a chance.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't mind more CW superhero shows -- but I'd like to see a superheroine show or two. I hope they can get the Amazon project up and running. Or... what else? Hmm, I guess it's too soon to try another Birds of Prey, especially since Arrow has its own Black Canary and Huntress. But hey, what about Raven? A teenage goth sorceress who's half-demon? That's got The CW written all over it.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were stories that they were working on developing a Raven show around the time Smallville ended, but I don't think anything ever became of it.

5. Vendikarr

I love Raven, but I don't think it's a concept that would work for television. Raven was raised in another dimension, and taught to use her magic there. When she was a teen, she was ready to fight evil.

TV would have her raised in small town America, and not aware of her special nature until the events of the pilot. She would meet a wise mentor who can tutor in learning to use her magical abilities. It would be an age of discovery storyline.

The problem is, despite being half demon, the show comes across as a witch story. And with the exception of Bewitched and Charmed, witches have no staying power on television.

It's possible they even recognized the similarity, because they did have the series The Secret Circle that was a witch story come out a couple of years ago, and it didn't last.

6. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stargirl would be perfect for The CW. It could work better than AMAZON as far as being SMALLVILLE like.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The very fact that there are exceptions proves that you can't generalize like that. Most shows of any genre or subject matter fail. Many police procedurals are hits, but many more are flops. Many medical dramas are hits, but many more are flops. It's simply the nature of television that the majority of shows fail. It can't be blamed on the subject matter, because it's the same for every subject matter.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Okay this is gonna be strange but I just got done watching Orphan Black season 1, and had to comment on the tour de force by the lead actress, to go along with fairly tight production, direction and writing. Didn't think it would sustain a separate thread, so I'm posting here after a nice Russian stout.

I'm not one to like depictions of the gay lifestyle, kind of grudgingly absorbed it as part of The Wire, but this is the closest a show has come to letting me accept that portrayal in stride as part of the overall show.

Other than that I commend the lead actress on playing multiple parts wonderfully; she left me eager for what the second season brings.

And Max Headroom!

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There's an Orphan Black thread around here somewhere. I think it went dormant until the new season.

10. Borgminister

Ah... always late to the party! :(

11. Enterprise is Great

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Since this is the CW, something tells me that the iZombie girl will not be a shuffling, rotting cadaver. :rommie:

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wonder how they'll avoid the necrophilia angle? At some point she has to have a boyfriend right?

14. Vendikarr

Here's a snippet from the iZombie entry on wikipedia

The series deals with Gwendolyn Price, a revenant gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon and her friends Ellie, a 1960s ghost, and Scott, a wereterrier. Gwen can pass for a regular girl, but she needs to eat a brain once a month to keep from losing her memories and intelligence. As a gravedigger she has plenty of access to recently deceased people; when she consumes their brains she "inherits" part of the deceased's thoughts.
    We know the series will be different, seeing as it's going to be a procedural, but they will probably keep the appearance aspect the same.

15. Enterprise is Great

16. Borgminister

That one's gonna depend on Halle's acting in large part.

17. Enterprise is Great

Cinemax Acquires Robert Kirkman Spec ‘Outcast’

18. Enterprise is Great

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

While I'd love to see the return of Tales From The Darkside, I wonder if it can be true to the original without Romero and needing to fit the CW brand. Hopefully Kurtzman and Orci will be involved in name only.

20. Enterprise is Great