Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Civil War
    2. Secret Invasion
    3. World War Hulk
    4. Avengers Vs X-Men
    5. Siege
    6. Fear Itself

Would be my rating of the ones listed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Civil War
    Secret Invasion
    Chaos War
    World War Hulk
    Siege
    AvX
    House of M
    Shadowland
    Fear Itself

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Annihilation
    World War Hulk
    Second Coming
    War of Kings
    Secret Invasion

4. Admiral_Young

Also technically "Avengers Vs X-Men" is the first Marvel event under Axel Alonso's editorship since Quesada was "promoted" I believe.

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Cyclops won. Awesome. :bolian:

No matter what Cap says in the epilogue, Scott got exactly what he wanted at the start of the series; mutants are back.

And he's in prison - so what? He was more than willing to die for his cause, being locked up ain't shit. And, as has been pointed out, is so fucking hypocritical it's laughable. If it had been Jean, Logan and Steve would be kissing her ass and practically throwing her a party.

Hell, even Xavier's death can't be that much of a bother considering the old man's actions of the last few years. In death he'll get his sainthood back, and be entirely forgiven for his misdeeds in Deadly Genesis and with the Illuminati. Oh, and no one mention Onslaught, right? :shifty:

All in all, while the final issue was a bit meh, the ambiguity of the ending is what I actually like about it the most. Though you've got wonder if the next event will address Cap and Wolvie's hubris, the way this one took aim at Cyclops'. Probably not. :vulcan:

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as storylines throughout the X-Books, this was probably my favorite since Messiah Complex.

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, God, I can't even imagine the hypocracy Wolverine would be spouting if Jean had done what Cyclops had done here. I'm betting we would have gotten Logan calling her Jeannie 1000 times and threatening to gut anyone who dared accuse her of everything.

The X-Men need their own leader, not Captain Hypocrite and St. Wolverine the Avenger.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well seeing as Cyclops killed him thats kind of hard right now.

So I guess the young not NotMagneto! version of Cyclopes will have to do.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's like saying that if Barry dies somehow that you should go back in time and find a younger version of the same man to complete the smouldering corpse's term as presidency.

I'm amazed that worked for star for as long as it did.

Summers Loyalists... "the Summers rebellion" Shit. That sounds familiar.

Methinks that all our mutant future history might have been spun.

And look what a crack pot Bishop turned out to be he destroyed the world 7 times over.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

actually Not!Magneto Cyclopes is still alive, he's just probably insane and in jail.

11. Guy Gardener

Is Cyclops still insane?

And was he ever insane more so than Drunk?

insanity suggests atypical actions.

Drunkenness suggests acting like you've always wanted to if consequences were meaningless.

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Drunk with powah.

Or... drunk with bad writing.

13. Guy Gardener

Drunk with powah of course.

But drunk while writing bad makes sense as well.

14. Nick Ryder

I got the distinct impression that for the past few years, most of the writers really really did not like Cyclops and kept finding ways to make him completely unsympathetic and unlikeable.

I honestly thought he was going to die in this one - I really did. Like they did so much character assassination to him that the "cyclops" we saw in those Marvel Now promos was some other mutant - after all there are "More Mutants" again.

But seeing that helmet he was wearing in that "jail" scene - maybe that helmet thingy he wears is like a lojack - they can shut down his powers if they want to.

The characters I really sort of feel bad for are Namor and Emma Frost - Emma spent over a decade as a 'hero' and it seems like everyone's head was stuck in the 80s when they write her - oh she HAS to be a villaness... that's when she was the bestest! I dunno, honestly I liked her as a reformed 'bad girl'. Now it just comes off as 'we only kept Emma heroic until Jean Grey or someone like her came back' - so all we had to do was change the hair color from red to blonde and we could recycle old ideas.

I really was hoping for Emma to take over things on Utopia - I really couldn't see her moving to the Jean Grey Institute - even though it had been stated repeatedly that she thought of herself as a teacher first and foremost "freedom fighter" was secondary.

Namor - well he's gone heroic and 'baddie" for a while - but its like fuck, those Atlaneans just can't catch a break.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Bendis will revert Emma back to the White Queen of the Hellfire Club. It'll probably clear out Kilgore as the Black King.

16. Nick Ryder

Which just smacks me of lazy writing - I mean, she was a pretty decent "Grey" hat hero. Not entirely shining pinnacle of goodness, but not super villaness either. AvsX really a horrible storyline - basically with the intention that "Avengers=Good, X-Men=Not so good." I mean since when have the Avengers even encountered a Phoenix, heck Rachel Grey wandered around England as the Phoenix for years! No Avengers got in her face then. Even WITH all that reality warping stuff that happened in those Excalibur comics too! You think they'd start going "well gee maybe all that weird shit in England is because they had a Phoenix with them."

I also think it's pretty crappy how Rachel was more or less ignored thoughout this whole thing - she was a Phoenix for a goodly part of the late 80s-90s and even had a whole frickin' Shi Ar attack squad after her! Killed the entire Gray family in one strike! And the Avengers didn't get involved...

I'm STILL looking forward to Marvel NOW - I do like that finally they're kind of mainstreaming the mutants - but I still feel like Emma, Scott and Namor and especially the Rasputins have gotten shafted pretty horribly. Scott was right. Cap was wrong OR at least maybe not 'wrong' in that he over-reacted.

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't really get shafted, atleast not with their fates, story wise. Magik stuck some avengers in hell, basically. Colossus beat Spider-Man until his blood splattered on Collossus's face. Emma either really injured or killed a guy for lying about something, and had half the mutants on utopia worshiping her. They also all took over the earth. The avengers didn't make them do that, and for about 75% of the time, the Phoenix didn't make them do it, either. They should be wanted criminals.

Now, the writers may have screwed them (although I honeslty think something like this has been building since House of M), but at this point, just from an in universe perspective, the 5 phoenix mutants should just get locked up. I'm also not too sure about rachel needing to be involved more than she was. I don't think she can really be counted as the same kind of Phoenix. She obviously didn't have the full, pretty sentient, Phoenix Force, or she would have gone crazy, like every phoenix host (not just on earth) has. She had a weaker version, or just one without the mind altering properties, but she was not dealing with the same creature/force of nature that was in AvX. I don't think her will to resist the destructive impulses of the real phoenix would be stronger than Jean Grey's, the 5 or Hope's, so I would just assume that her version was different, and that she would have turned just as evil if she had been effected by it (although she would have been better initally, I doubt she would have stuck anyone in hell/limbo on earth).

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Namor's turn as a fugitive will be short-lived. He will be featured in New Avengers, which will focus on Bendis' "Illumunati" group. Interestingly, Black Panther will now be a part of the group, despite his current enimity with Namor. Hickman said that the first arc will deal with a new threat to Wakanda, so perhaps Namor will balance the destroy/save scales in Wakanda's eyes.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I agree it's too bad Rachel wasn't involved in the story more, and I barely know the character. That could have been a cool plot twist in #12 to defeat them, using Rachel, since she basically had barely been in the series to that point!

20. Admiral_Young

The glaring omission of Nathan after X-Sanction to me is really inexcusable to me. He should have been a big part in this story, given his training and guardianship of Hope and the fact that he is Scott's son. I agree as well that Rachel should have been used more as well...Aaron kind of brought her into the conflict in Wolverine and the X-Men, but she needed to be utilized more in the event.