Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And even the Watcher was taking notice. Surtur was forging Twilight on the core of a GALAXY he'd imploded or something. That was back when apocalyptic storylines weren't a dime a dozen.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Err... isn't that his whole job? To notice everything?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we're talking about Uatu iving on the moon, Twilight wasn't being made on Earth.

So he would have had to have craned his neck a little to focus.

4. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well yeah, it was him. Don't remember exactly what book it appeared in, the storyline involved numerous crossovers, but I do recall it was Uatu. I was just mentioning this because, at the time, it was a big enough deal for The Watcher (ie, Uatu) to consider it (Surtur reaching the eternal flame in Asgard, I think that was his goal) a major cosmic menace. These days he'd probably say "meh."

5. Guy Gardener

Three pissed off Celestials from another universe were tag team wrestling Galactus and an adult Franklin Richards from the future in Earth orbit a week ago... This week the the Phoenix is baring down on earth.

Don't you think tomorrows Valeria Richards could have moved things around with her master plan to put those Celesitals in front of the Phoenix Force and spare the Avengers some serious dry cleaning billings? Yes, they send out now.Jarvis is getting far too old scrub Hulk shit out of stretchy purple Jeans anymore.

7 freaking days.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"Michael Korvac" was an extremely simplified version of the classic Korvac saga, but still got the heart of the story right. The details are very different. The original Korvac story featured the original Guardians of the Galaxy from the future rather than the new team from the present. (Whoa. Time paradox.) Korvac himself was from the future and was experimented on by the Badoon, not the Kree. Corrina was the daughter of The Collector, an Elder of the Universe.

But the heart of the story, of course, was in Michael's unwillingness, despite his great power, to go on once he lost the love of Corrina. That's what made the original work and that's why I liked this episode. Of course, as I said, this was an extremely simplified version of the story. To have done it properly would have taken several episodes.

The original, written by Jim Shooter back in the late 70's, ran for a year in the Avengers book, and if the story were to be done today, it would probably be an "Event", with all of the crossovers and minis and hoo-haw that these kinds of stories get these days.

I noticed that the episode was written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (or "DnA"), who wrote this team of Guardians for the Marvel cosmic line until recently.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this episode, being a big fan of DnA on Marvel Cosmic over the past few years. Every Guardian was spot on (though, I did not picture Peter Quill having such a deep voice). I loved Rocket pulling guns from seemingly nowhere and, of course, "I am Groot." I hope to see more of them in the future, with Drax and Gamora along for the ride.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that DnA were working on A:EMH. I haven't read any of their stuff yet, but I've heard a lot of very positive things about there Marvel Cosmic stuff.

9. shivkala

The Marvel Cosmic stuff was largely the work of DnA, but it was kicked off by Annihilation, which began with the work of Keith Giffen. His prelude lead to a few mini-series, including DnA's Annihilation: Nova miniseries. The regular series,Nova was the break-out title from Annhilation when the event was over, and was written by DnA.

Their work on Nova lead to the Annihilation: Conquest mini-series, this time written by DnA, though one of the mini-series attached to it, Star-Lord was written by Giffen and brought together Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot, who would go on to join up as the Guardians of the Galaxy, joined by Drax and Gamora (both of whom took part in Annihilation and were involved in Nova's title, Phyla Vell from her time as Quasar (another mini-series from Annihilation: Conquest, and Adam Warlock.

Guardians of the Galaxy, written by DnA spun off from this and both it and Nova lead into the War of Kings, then Reign of Kings, both of which were mini-series written by DnA. They dovetailed into The Thanos Imperative, by DnA. Spinning-out of that were Annihilators and Annihilators: Earthfall, again both written by DnA, which capped their run on Marvel Cosmic.

I highly, highly recommend all of them, and I say that as more of a DC fan. I truly think these comics are among the best out of either company over the past decade.

Here are the books, again they are very much worth it:
    • Annihilation, Books 1, 2, & 3
    • Nova, Volumes 1 & 2
    • Annihilation: Conquest, Books 1 & 2
    • Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 1
    • Nova, Volumes 3 & 4
    • War of Kings
    • War of Kings: Ascension
    • Nova, Volume 5
    • Guardians of the Galaxy, Volumes 2 & 3
    • Realm of Kings
    • Nova, Volume 6
    • Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 4
    • The Thanos Imperative
    • Annihilators
    • Annihilators: Earthfall

There are some War of Kings lead ins, mostly from the X-Men comics, but I mostly stuck to the DnA stuff.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When will the guardians of the galaxy be back in comic form?

Well good news is:

Annihilatiion book 1
    NOVA vol.1

Is aviable on the nook color in preorder.

11. Guy Gardener

Maybe soon, or maybe never.

They just gave all the cosmic books to Bendis.

he may want to start fresh, but then he'd also be a fool to ignore all the rich fertile soil he can plant his own ideas in.

The most awesome part of the original Korvac saga was when the Avengers figured out where the big bad was hiding, but there were too many Avengers to fit into the Quinjet so Stark hired a bus with his company credit card.

So in this continuity, no one of the Guardians are Human?

I wonder if Quasar is Still Mar'vells daughter?

12. shivkala

Marvel has been teasing their new cosmic, however, most of that teasing centered around the new Nova. The website Cosmic Book News has been adamant that Marvel said there'd be a new Guardians of the Galaxy book.

And
    it looks like Thanos is back. If he's back, perhaps so too are Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord and the Richard Rider Nova are back also.

13. Turtletrekker

Nah, it wasn't because there were too many Avengers, it was because Henry Peter Gyrich had the FAA suspend the Avenger's ability to fly Quinjets in a metropolitan area. :guffaw:

14. Guy Gardener

Hank was killed off in one of the X-Men movies, it would be such a pity to have such an impressive deush excluded because of licensing bullshit.

15. shivkala

I wondered that about Phyla-Vell, too. Interesting since in this continuity, Mar-Vell is still alive.

As for the Guardians none of them were really human per se, though a lot of them had ties to Earth. Rocket and Groot were pure aliens, as was Gamora (who wasn't shown, probably because she's never had an outfit that was kid-TV appropriate ;)). Closest to human is Moondragon, who I guess is technically human, despite being raised on Titan and attaining their mastery over the mind. Drax is the reanimated and altered corpse of her father, so he's in the "sort-of-human" camp. Then there's Adam Warlock who was created on Earth to be the perfect human, but ran off into space, spent some time on Counter-Earth, and then more years in space. Peter Quill, the Star-Lord, was half-Spartoi and half human.

16. Turtletrekker

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just read some "WTF are they smoking?" type news. Apparently Marvel is planning to introduce another Avengers cartoon in 2013 (one that will take place in the same universe as Ultimate Spider-Man and the upcoming Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.). Obviously they wouldn't have 2 Avengers shows going on at once, so if this is true, they would no doubt cancel Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Forbes article confirms new Avengers Animated TV series to start next year

It really doesn't make much sense. Is it really that important that all of their Disney XD shows share the same universe, especially at the expense of a well performing show?

I'm really hoping there was some kind of misunderstanding somewhere.

18. Guy Gardener

Remember back when the mojoverse seemed hyperunrealistic?

19. Turtletrekker

Nah, I've been reading the same things. Apparently it was Jeph Loeb's decision to bring all fo the shows into the same continuity. Of course, I would have preferred that the other shows be created to fit into the pre-existing continuity of A:EMH, but apparently the decision has been made. :(

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So, what, is Loeb trying to create a Marvel Animated Universe?

Maybe they should have tailored USM to fit into A:EMH's world, seeing as it came first. :p