Recommend me some good anime movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kelthaz, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After reading the thread about Miyazaki in the TV & Media forum it made me want to see more anime films. Besides Miyazaki's work I haven't seen any films at all outside of the One Piece films. I don't really care what type of movie I see as long as its good, but as a sci-fi geek I will obviously lean towards sci-fi or fantasy movies.

I'm no anime newbie and I'm more than capable of enjoying the craziest stuff the Japanese can throw at me. I also don't care if it's subbed or dubbed. Give me some ideas.

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm not a huge anime fan but I LOVED Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. It's a pretty straight forward story about 4 futuristic bounty hunters searching for a bio-terrorist. It's probably one of the most Western anime in terms of storytelling (hence why they talk about doing an American live-action remake every few years). The characters are all very fun and I love the opening scene where they foil a convenience store robbery. ("And you! You take too long to take a shit!")

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?

If you're into film as an art form then I'd recommend the cinematic cut of the Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen; its a freaking masterpiece.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Ghost in The Shell, the 1993 movie.

Fantastic animation and surreal writing.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have heard of Cowboy Bebop and I think I'd love it, but I don't feel like getting into another series right now. And I believe the movie takes place after the series, does it not?

I've heard of it, but I don't think I could handle anything that sad. I've recently finished watching Code Geass and Gurren Lagaan; my heart can't take any more punishment.

Normally no, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Is the film okay to watch for someone who has never seen the show before?

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The movie was made after they finished the series but it takes place somewhere in the middle. The movie is a totally independent stand-alone story. You don't need to see the series to understand the film and I don't believe the film spoils the TV series.

7. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're talking about contemporary titles, pretty much any of the Miyazaki films are quite good IMHO, particularly "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" (my two favorites of his so far). Most of his movies are also pretty kid-friendly and can be watched by the entire family. As far as past/classic movies, I loved Osamu Tezuka's "Unico" movies but I don't think you can find them anywhere (if anybody knows about any upcoming DVD release, PLEASE let me know!). I also loved "Project A-ko". Masume Shirow's "Appleseed" was also an interesting movie. "Akira" is, of course, a must see cyberpunk classic. I actually can't think of a lot of anime "movies" I've watched since a lot of the anime I've watched have been shorter-length features (OVAs) or based off of TV shows.

8. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

Of those not mentioned, I recommend The Wings of Honneamise, Vampire Hunter D and its sequel Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Ninja Scroll is also a classic, but is really NOT kid friendly. Wicked City is in the same boat.

There are two series that I like, neither of which are very long compared to many others. The first is Iria: Zeiram which is a sci-fi/action type thing. The second is a personal favorite as it's one of the first I ever saw. That would be Record of Lodoss War which is a Lord of the Rings type fantasy. I think it's available in both a shortened version and a much longer tale. The longer is better.

9. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy are some great compilation movies and act as a replacement for the TV show which can be rather "monster of the week" at times. You mentioned watching Code Geass, Gundam is the franchise that inspired a lot of conventions in that show and the mecha genre as a whole.

11. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

recently I have been reminiscing about a movie I saw during a school field trip in the early 80's when I was very young. I didnt know the title, just that it had a cute panda and a girl that could turn into a fish. Turns out it was something called Princess White Snake, which was supposedly the first anime film ever made. I really wish I could see this film again. But I doubt its out on dvd, at least in the US. Anyone seen or know anything about this film?

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a prequel to the series. And is pretty much stand alone. Some say it's better to watch the series first; others say it's better to watch it before the series. I don't think it really matters.

Though, you said you don't want anything too sad and it can really pull the old heart strings.

13. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Can't agree more!:biggrin::techman:

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sky Crawlers, if you go in knowing that it's not about shit blowing up.
    I haven't seen it yet, but people seem to like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

15. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Brave Story is like Ghibli, but not. Has Brave Story been released in the States yet?

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Oooh! I saw that online! It was cool!

And I've also seen Tokyo Godfathers. It's sad and funny at the same time.

17. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I would suggest Patlabour mobile police and Patlabour the movie (mobile police is movie one and “the movie” is the sequel for some reason) I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patlabor-1-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255198013&sr=1-1-spell simply for my giant robot fix that week (it was on sale) and while it lacks in that department it gives a great story. This of it as a philosophical detective story with some giant robots in the background