Defiance Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lucky, Jun 20, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

eh, some of the villains in Firefly dressed like that as well. I didn't laugh out loud looking at them like I did when I saw that guy on Defiance.

So far he is totally boring. But maybe he'll turn out to be really a lizard alien?

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

This is too much of a video game trying to be a television show rather than the other way around. That's where a lot of the goofiness is coming from.

3. teacake

How's that video game going anyway?

4. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

The world itself is like a character though, and a good one. It is similar to especially Star Wars but even Blade Runner as well in that sense, where the setting is the star more than the characters or plot.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Tokey the Bear:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Or, the real one if you prefer:
    [​IMG]

I love that there are all these cataclysmic changes to the geography, geology, and climate (hint: the Capitol Records building is way inland), and yet the stupid flimsy ass Hollywood sign is still standing just to show that it's LA.

[​IMG]

That thing has barely withstood normal wear and tear as it is.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a great season premiere. I like the new set up with the E-Rep, it should definitely lead to some good conflicts as the show goes on.
    I also noticed that Irisa's makeup does seem more subtle this year, but it's definitely still there. I'm actually amazed how different she does look with the makeup since it's really not that dramatic.
    Nolan's search for Irisa was a cool little plot, and I loved her entrance.
    The prison stuff with Datak was definitely interesting, although it does look like he won't be in there long. I'm pretty sure we saw him back in Defiance in the trailers. I also liked the stuff with Alak trying to be in charge, and Stahma telling him to shut up and do what she says. It'll be interesting to see what she does if he goes against her orders.
    Amanda taking over the NeedWant was cool. It'll be interesting to see what happens with her now that she appears to be going to work for the E-Rep mayor.
    The E-Rep mayor seems like he should be a fun villain. He is a little over the top, but it's not enough to ruin the character for me. I loved his armor and fake backdrop for his speech, it was kinda goofy, but I thought it worked pretty well in context.

7. teacake

The humans are the weakest characters.

I would like a whole series set in the NeedWant.

Oh and yeah I had the same thought about the Hollywood sign but I'm wondering if after the big destructo-thing someone rebuilt it.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So last season gave us Jaime Murray. This season they add James Murray. Who's next? :D

9. teacake

^It's great how this series raises such profound questions.

10. Locutus of Bored

End of episode musical montage featuring a song by Murray James?

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49BA9NI1P0[/yt]

11. teacake

I really fell in love with Helena this season.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Helena? You mean that crazy clone on Orphan Black?

13. teacake

jesus christkxa;gfagl

I am stupid.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something that just occurred to me, where did this prison camp that's apparently within a day's drive from Defiance come from? In season 1 everyone was being sent to prison in Vegas, even Nolan's bounty hunter friend was to be sent there when he was arrested by E-Rep. And now there's an E-Rep run prison practically next door to the town.

15. Locutus of Bored

It's just fences and tents and prefab buildings. They've had an entire army there for months and lots of forced labor from the prisoners. It's not like it's that hard to build.

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if there was already a thread on this, but thanks for starting.

I thought Nolan was dead at the end of the first season, but Irisa obviously did something to resurrect him. If she fell into the bright light inside the cave, what happened to her body? She apparently survived the ordeal, and thus Nolan had been out looking all over for her for nine months.

The new mayor who looks like Robert Downey Jr. seems likeable so far, but if he's an E-Rep representative, he's got to be devious like Datak Tarr. I would like to see this new guy as a person I'd love to hate.

I thought the Liberata were supposed to be subservient, but the hairy alien who had Nolan beat up in old L.A. was some kind of boss.

Stahma is one sexy mother. "Dad would go I-rath if he saw you using Ereshkewa [?] in the bath." :lol:

Good show!

17. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dureena Nafeel from "Crusade". The network told the producers to tone it down and they did (they also told them to make her a nymphomaiac or something; thankfully they didn't). In any case, she may well have not been wearing any makeup after they changed the appliance on her head.

The premiere set up a nice tone for things going forward. It's clear to me that Arisa is staying away of her own will so she WON'T hurt Nolan, but is resigned to coming back now to hopefully figure things out.

I understand that Defiance is now free-to-play for the masses... Anyone here actually tried it? I get motion sickness with FPS games.

Mark

18. teacake

ah I remember that from Crusade but I think there was a SG-1 female alien that had her makeup changed too, to make her prettier.

Free to play eh, might try it out though FPS is not my thing.

Any ideas what these kill fantasies and shadow self thing is with Arisa?

19. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda felt like Nolan got pudgier and his voice less gruff than last season. Maybe it's the actor needing to settle back into character or something.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously this guy goes against the grain for that species.