In zombie films, how come nobody has ever...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Deimos Anomaly, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I get that, it's just that most of these stories try and keep to some sort of 'reality' rather than imagining their own details. Like zombies with toxic blood, for example. Where'd the zombies get that, where'd they get the new parts that can HANDLE toxic blood?

Silly to try and use that to refute more generic points, as it's obviously specific to one case, and doesn't fit with MOST examples of the generic zombie.

Sure, they're all slightly different, but if you want to discuss them in general, best to start from a basis in reality (ie the human body it starts from) and not try and start with a magical space zombie. His toxic blood defense is just as valid as refuting the point by saying that zombies can fly :lol:

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Maybe I'm lost in this conversation somewhere, and I've never read WWZ or the ZSG, but, my understanding is that the ZSG is akin to the Guy in Scream who knows all the Horror movie Rules (The one who loses her virginity always gets killed, Big Titted blonde runs up the stairs when she should be running down the stairs, etc). So, the ZSG is speaking of the Zombie genre as a whole, I believe, not specifically to WWZ Zombies. Therefore, the blood is always toxic, but, it became that way through a different route depending upon which "Patient Zero" origin trope they use.

I've seen an awful lot of Zombie movies, and never once seen them fly (Other than when they go off a building and plummet to the ground)

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to say that, while I'm no expert on zombie movies (basically, I've seen a handful of the Romero films, the Raimi movies, TWD and various 80s B movies), I've never seen one where zombies are "toxic." Yes, I've seen them bite people and infect them (not unlike rabies) but never seen one where their toxicity is such that insects and other organisms that eat dead rabid animals would be affected. Is there a movie like that?

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

This is in my head every time I watch The Walking Dead.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yes I did, and I recall quite clearly the part where it says that flesh infected with the Solanum virus is made toxic by that virus.

Yes.

Given that zombies aren't real, ANYTHING about zombies suffers from this!

Like I said, if the flesh of a zombie is infected with something, then eating that flesh is likely to kill whatever ate it.

Really? You think it's a good idea to wear heavy hot armor and use a method of killing zombies that is hard to do? Or do you find it easy to chop through a Human neck in one blow?

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

OK, maybe I'm out of my depth, I assumed Toxic blood meant blood would cause death (IE: Zombism?)

Many of us did watch Daryl on The Waling Dead eat a squirrel or Chipmunk and thought for a second or two he was eating an arm, and we worried....

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we need to petition for a Zombie Tech subforum... :p

8. the G-man

To humans, yeah. But I'm unfamiliar with any zombie film or TV show that says the virus/etc is toxic to every other life form.

In fact, the ZSG theory that zombie blood is too toxic to allow parasites, etc., to eat zombie flesh is belied by the very fact that every zombie film shows zombies decaying.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Actually, something else that no zombie films use - or indeed post-apocalyptic fiction: Bicycles.

Cycling is far quicker than a zombie shambling, and less tiring than running away... And as for movies where everybody fights over the last can of fuel...

10. the G-man

1st ep of TWD had Rick riding a bicycle.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Bikes have been used in post-apocalyptic fiction before. Nick Andros and Tom Cullen rode bikes in The Stand.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Bikes are also very popular in the S.M. Stirling 'Emberverse' series (Starting with Dies the Fire).