I object to the notion that Star Trek collapsed:

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dale Sams, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

under the weight of its own continuity. It collapsed because of Berman-Braga fatigue, aided and abetted by

That stupid Enterprise theme song...

...The inability to understand that we want our heroes to kick ass, not *get* their asses kicked.

IMO, it's the lazy (and often mediocre) writer who sees continuity as an impediment rather than a rich field.*

*See the diff between Alan Moore's work in general and John Byrne's Doom Patrol.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that Enterprise's theme song and other details may appear minor, but to me things like that are very important. It's all a part of the same production team. Just like the pajamas in TMP hurt the look of the film. There's a reason why Voyager-Enterprise and huge portions of TNG look so much alike, while DS9 looks so different.

I can't be the only one who around the second season of Enterprise who just said, "Oh God...just let it die." It had nothing to do with continuity. It's not like the Ferengi are so GD interesting that having to work with their continuity can hurt their appearance. And I thought what they did with the Romulans on Ent. was interesting.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you think the theme song had anything to do with Enterprise's failure, how do you explain Smallville, with it's equally horrible theme song, going a record-breaking 10 seasons?

3. Dale Sams

Illogical Admiral.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Hey, I liked "Save Me".

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

+1

I liked ENT theme song too, but I do agree with some of OP's points. The continuity did weigh a fuckton, though. It's just that it could have been managed just fine with some genuine talent, and the B&B's were a decade pass their prime.

ENT had too much of that "been there, done that" feel to it. Honestly, it felt like a prequel to Voyager.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If shows are measured by how awesome their opening theme song is, Perfect Strangers would be in it's 26th season.
    "Standing tall... on the wings of my dreams."

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It had one of the longest runs of any themed series ever, if you discount the fact that it had a very long holiday. What is the problem with that? It started with a groundbreaking set of shows in the 60s when I suspect a lot of board members were not even born and then there was a long hiatus until the 80s when the truly epic nature of Trek came into its own. The longitude of its various manifestations is only surpassed by the variety of the characters it generated. ST was never about space; it was a series of one hour dramas about humanity. The setting was just a bonus to make nerds and geeks feel happy about the magic that went on.

The music was always good but frankly if that what makes or breaks the shows for you, you don't get Trek.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And Cleopatra 2525 would still be on the air . . . .

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Oh God, how much I hated Farscape's Season 1 theme song! It still remains one of the finest syfy shows in existence.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I didn't mind Farscape's theme music, but, yeah, it literally drove my girlfriend out of the room.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You didn't even fast forward it? :rommie:

[​IMG]

12. Dale Sams

Look how much milage Greatest American Hero got!

13. Dale Sams

Nice speech. It has nothing to do with nothing but it was nice.

Gotta love the internet: where people read the header, then just scan until they see something objectible and hammer home on it....ignoring everything else said.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Why is this even here? It's just a bash at a bunch of stuff which has little or nothing to do with Abrams Trek, and should probably have been posted in a different forum. Or better yet, on a personal blog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.