The road to the R2 1/350 TOS Enterprise...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Okay, I've just finished reading everything related to the development of the 1/350 TOS E in the recent issue of Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller Vol. 26.

[​IMG]

Phew! I can't recall the last time I was so engrossed in an article. Part of me wanted to race ahead while another held me to catch hint every word. Gary Kerr has evidently put a lot of his heart and soul into an accurate TOS E and it shows. The photographs of the forthcoming kit are breathtaking. The attention to minute detail and accuracy are incredible.

One thing that comes across even in quickie f/x shots of the first kit build-up (the one seen at Wonderfest 2012) is how much more impressive this looks compared to what you see in TOS-R, at least to my eyes. Hell, it's a real model, an actual physical object for light to play on its surfaces naturally. The large scale of the model also helps impart a real sense of mass. It's no surprise the original 11 footer made us feel we were looking at a truly massive object. I can imagine seeing this model assembled in front of you should be impressive.

These articles have neat bits of trivia included regarding details we might otherwise never be privy to, such as how a slight innaccuracy found its way onto the PL 1/1000 TOS E but would hardly be noticeable at such a small scale. Another was that Gary actually had an opportunity to get some measurements and photos of the original full-size shuttlecraft mock-up (so he's already got some start on the 1/32 scale Galileo) :techman:

The other remark was that Lynne Miller (then owner) said Matt Jefferies had told her the mock-up was only 3/4 scale. The mock-up is only about 22ft. long so that means the real shuttlecraft is 29-1/3ft. long? Really? I find this revelation rather goes against the grain for me---I don't wish to misbelieve anyone, but this nugget really catches me by surprise. A 29ft. shuttlecraft strikes me as just a bit too large to be accommodated properly within the Enterprise's hangar facilities. I had my shuttlecraft drawings at 28ft. once and still found that too big to accept. I'm afraid I'll have to see/hear more supportive evidence to buy it whole.

Nonetheless these articles and pics were well worth the wait and I can't wait to read the followup articles in the next two issues.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A small note. The image of the model on the magazine's cover is not the final product. The folks at R2 have reiterated time and time again that if they cannot get the gridlines down to a very fine scale such as seen on Tamiya aircraft models then there will be no gridlines at all. They insist the gridlines are to be as faint as possible or they simply won't be included on the final kit.

Also, the kit will be moulded in different colours to assist novice and paint challenged modellers. These different coloured plastics will also be a guide to help paint the model correctly. They've also taken the trouble to make painting this large kit much easier. Apparently a lot of the parts can be painted separately without masking before you need to attach them to the main body of the model. This also means that you can paint the assembled major components without a lot of masking (except for windows). Windows will be actual holes with clear parts for the actual windows rather than mere decals or raised detail like on smaller kits.

It's astounding to see how many parts are in this kit particularly when you consider how relatively simple the design of the ship is usually seen. The detail is incredible.

As revered as the original 11ft. filming miniature is there's no question this kit (when well built) will surpass the filming miniature in many respects.

This just keeps getting better and better.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I can't wait to get my mitts on this kit. I've been actively salivating for years over this one. Everything I've seen makes me fully believe that the asking price is reasonable. I'm gonna get the detail/accessory kit too. Color me impressed.

--Alex

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm on the list (one of the 1701 club) to get hold of one of the Premiere kits which includes alternate parts to build one of the three versions of the ship (1st pilot, 2nd pilot or production). I definitely want the lighting kit which R2 has also designed for easy of installation. I'm not inclined to get the weathering decal kit. I think I'd rather do any subtle weathering myself.

I am straddling the fence in one respect. I can't decide which version to build. It's really tempting to just go ahead and build the Kir era series production version, but I'm also fascinated by the idea of building a finished Pike era ship. This would have working lights and a few added details not yet put onto the 11ft. miniature when first built and used for "The Cage."

Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and apparently the box cover art was done by comics illustrator Alex Ross. Bonus.

5. NebulaClassGuy

NebulaClassGuy Lieutenant Commander

I'll be waiting for someone to throw a wrench into the gears of convention, and do a build of the April-era Enterprise from this kit... IMO, that would not only be original, but would be something to see.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Considering the (not unreasonable) cost of this kit it will have to be a truly dedicated fan willing to buy more than one kit to build more than one version. That said if you can pull off an exceptional build I see little reason you couldn't use this for some special f/x filming.

7. NebulaClassGuy

Oh, quite true, quite true. But I'm sure there are already folks out there who plan on buying the kit to bash up some of the Franz Joseph fleet ships, so I'm sure some people will be doing customized builds.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep, like I said "dedicated" because it's a lot cheaper and easier to do that with the PL 1/1000 kits.

9. Albertese

^^^But, looking at the parts, and listening to those fellows on the R2 video, it seems as though they had Scout/Destroyer conversions in mind when planning things out. The Nacelles are designed with 90 degree rotation in mind and the lower end of the interconnecting dorsal seems well suited attaching to a nacelle... the possibilities are certainly evident...

Also, I didn't know Alex Ross did the art. That's Awesome! The man's a genius! Marvels and Kingdom Come are two of my very favorite comics!

--Alex

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Anyone ready to make a movie? :)

11. NebulaClassGuy

12. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are there any links for those souls out there who have crappy book stores?

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here you are. There's also here at Fabgear. Don't be fooled by the UFO coverage seen on the page because the issue also covers other stuff.

You might also be able to get it from Amazon as well as other places.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  14. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Here is a link to a 47 minute video titled "Round2 Models at Wonderfest, 2012." that was uploaded to Youtube about a week ago.

The first 20 minutes of this video is about the 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  15. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Much thanks to the both of you:)

16. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Can't wait for this as well, part of the 1701 club and following it every step of the way. :techman:

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep, this is the month.

18. Albertese

So, do all you 1701 club shills actually get a kit this month?

If so, I am sooooo jealous.

--Alex

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No money has actually exchanged hands yet. Being a 1701 member simply means that you were among the first 1701 people to put your name in with an intent to purchase. In exchange we received periodic updates on the development of the kit. The only condition was that while we were free to talk about the updates and their content R2 asked that we not copy and openly share the photos and actual text of those updates. Finally in September (or possibly early October) the 1701 members will be the first offered the opportunity to purchase a premiere edition of the kit. The premiere edition includes the alternate parts to build one of the three versions of the ship: 1st pilot ("The Cage" Pike era), 2nd pilot (WNMHGB) or series production (Kirk era). It's a similar idea as the small PL 1/1000 scale TOS E kit. After the release of the premiere kit then R2 will release the standard retail kit which doesn't include the alternate parts. But R2 will be offering separate accessory kits for the standard edition: alternate parts, a lighting kit and a weathering decals kit. And you can be sure that third parties will step up to offer other accessories.

A 1701 member isn't truly obligated to purchase the premiere kit when it's offered, but then why put your name in early? If you don't purchase it when it's offered then they just offer it to the next one on the list. And they did get some 2000 names or so put forth so there should move all those premiere kits.

The 1701 updates are particularly sweet. You got to see into how a model is made, but more so you saw how meticulous and devoted these guys are to produce this incredible kit. It really is the holy grail so many of us have been waiting decades for.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For fear of sounding morbid, I wonder how many fans wishing for such an exacting and feature filled kit have died before it became a reality?

Sincerely,

Bill