Moffat calls the BBC 'stupid'

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/doctor-who-steven-moffat_n_4310768.html

As a kid I didn't notice anything wrong with the later years. Still, looking back I don't really watch anything above Pertwee anymore.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Moffat quote is from his interview in Radio Times. The Grade quote is also from Radio Times, but taken in turn from his piece for the Behind the Sofa book (ie, its a reprint of something he said a year back, not really a response).

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It's the Huff Post, not exactly the most reputable news service in the world.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really see an issue with the 50 years thing. All that says is that Doctor Who has been around for that long, not that we've had 50 years of non-stop episodes (and we still count the Star Trek anniversaries the same, even though they've had longer gaps between series than DW).

And to be honest I can't really blame the BBC for cancelling the show back then. I know people like to defend certain episodes, but even at it's best the writing was still a far cry from what it used to be (or should have been).

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well why not here from the man himself Michael Grade

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXQX0P52MU[/yt]

Here is an idea why not increase it's budget.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He couldn't. That year's budget was spent on launching Eastenders, so they had to cancel other things: nnot just Who, also Lovejoy, Bergerac... Mostly happened before Grade arrived. He just stood up and defended the decision.

7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

The cancellation/hiatus took with it the silly harpsichord music and the glacially-slow storylines and the "Saturday morning" (at least from my American perspective) feel of the show in the late 80's. So it wasn't all bad. Aside from some dodgy decisions and hit-or-miss stylistic choices early on, the new show very much benefited from a long break and the changes that come with time.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

*Yawn*

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Moffat slams a decision made nearly 25 years ago and we have headlines declaring Moffat has called the BBC stupid. Slow news day?

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Not in the slightest, given the source of the "story" and it's not anywhere else. The Huff Post lets any Tom, Dick or Harry it seems Write a story.