STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bet the Ceti Alpha system would do, if Star Fleet would bother to monitor it a bit this time.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Also make sure Khan has his Moby Dick novel with him.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I gave it a C grade. The over all film was okay, but it had a lot of problems. One of my two biggest problems was the death scene. It just didn't work and took me out of the film. The other one being Spock this time around. I just don't think the acting was what it was in the last film, and in the last film Zachary's Spock was perfect!

There were things that I liked, like teamwork, Kirk and Uhura's transporter friendship scene, McCoy's "Are you out of your cornfed mind!" lol, Sulu having a chance at the captain's chair for a minute, and the small attempt at S/U, also liked that Kirk listened to Scotty when he said not to use the torpedoes, Pike, Nimoy's cameo, Cumberbatch was nice, and Chris Pine really did a good job this time emoting (he did a nice job last time, but this time was even better).

That's about all I've got right now.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So he says. I see no reason to believe him.

Besides, the thing with the Ba'ku is exactly the sort of operation Section 31 would pull. The real Federation would never stoop that low. It's above that sort of thing.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. I'm seeing a problem now with my beloved Section 31. It gets Starfleet off the hook from any horrible, non-evolved thing they ever do because it can just be blamed on being really Section 31. That is not good.

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

So Kirk and Khan are now blood brothers.

Yay.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg.. :guffaw:

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it with the family last night in IMAX 3D. During the warp core scene, the guy sitting next to me started to chuckle. I poked him in the ribs, causing him to spill his 48 oz. drink onto the woman in the row ahead of him. She screamed and sent popcorn flying for six feet around her, then stood up, turned around, and slapped the guy in the face. Now he's mad. He turns on me. My youngest daughter on the other side of me yells, "Leave my dad alone!" and bites him on the arm. It got weird after that.

OK.

Actually --

THERE MAY BE MORE DETAIL ABOUT THE ENDING BELOW (SPOILERS) THAN SOME OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE YET WOULD WANT, EVEN IF YOU'RE ALREADY MUCKING ABOUT IN A THREAD WITH SPOILERS.

This is now my favorite "Star Trek" movie. Number one, ba-by! My wife, not a Trek fan, called it, "very good" more than once. That's a lot like a Red Sox fan saying, "I'm glad the Yankees are playing well, this year." My two daughters, who felt dragged there, were laughing at the laugh lines, and enjoyed the spectacle. My ten year-old told me she liked it before I could even ask. Scotty stole the show for her. Abrams may not have created three new fans, but I won't be "dragging" anyone to the next Trek movie.

I won't repeat views already posted by those who've seen it, but I will say this about two of the more controversial, or at least contentious things about the ending:

-- I think Kirk's death scene was BETTER than Spock's in TWOK. It conveyed real emotion by both characters. Real fear. A real sense of helplessness. Real anger and pain. Spock's death scene seems emotionally flat compared to it. Did it borrow from that scene? Yes. Was it "borrowing" to the point of plagiarism? No. There were maybe two or three verbatum lines from TWOK, and that was it. Spock knows what Kirk is going through because of his mind meld with Pike, and it angers him beyond belief that he can't comfort his friend at this moment. He channels that anger back to Khan. The theather was silent during the scene. No snorts. No giggles. No sounds of facepalming.

-- The way that Kirk was brought back to life was perfectly plausible. It was not magic as I expected from what I heard on these boards. It wasn't just a shot of Khan's blood and he's up and about. It was a long and involved medical process of restoring his life then restoring his body and mind. (The way Walt Disney wanted it to happen to him, some day -- in other words, there are people who think such things are possible.) The process took two months before Kirk even regained consciousness. And just so no one takes the entire thing too seriously, McCoy's questions to him when Kirk wakes up are priceless.

The ending was great. Pine finally gets to deliver the monolog. The other thing was the ending was thematically appropriate. Mercy was shown to Khan. Starfleet's response to these horrible events was not the militarization of Starfleet (which was perhaps even justifiable with cause, now), but instead, the Enterprise is restored and begins the first five year mission of deep space exploration. Despite the terror, despite the danger, despite the years of rebuilding and healing that will still have to be done, the ideal and pursuit of exploration goes on as Starfleet's primary mission. That's not optimistic? That's not "Star Trek"?

Damn fine movie. Damn fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Kirk/Khan slash fanfic writers have won! NOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek:

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    It does make him more of a woobie, though, which is good for fangirls and fanfiction writers everywhere.

But the decision is kind of WTF and I kept wondering why the hell everyone and their dog gets a trial, but Cumberkhan doesn't. Because he's TEH EVULZ. He did save Kirk's butt and got shot in the back for no good reason, but he's evulz and deserves to serve time as a (super)human popsicle.

I also think that demoting Kirk for exposing those natives to the Enterprise and accidentally creating new religion may have been a bit harsh.

However, seeing as they promoted him to captain after saving the Earth in the previous film, maybe that's how Starfleet rolls in JJ-verse.

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't mind them lifting moments from The Wrath of Khan, and really, it's only about two minutes worth. It wasn't as if they copied everything. But, I think I would have gone back to the original episode.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKazCfsVKR8[/yt]

What I wouldn't give to see Karl and Bennedict play this moment out. :lol:

12. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

The people complaining about it really should rewatch TWOK now...

13. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Upon first viewing it, I groaned because they felt so forced. Seeing it the second time, it wasn't as bad. I didn't mind. And again, it takes up, what, a minute, two minutes out of a two hour and ten minute movie?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Khan did get a trial - we just never saw it. :shrug:

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the next film opens with him being thawed for trial... and escaping...

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

While he's crushing Marcus's head, he yells that Marcus should've let him sleep. All he wants is for his crew to be safe and for him to be with them.

My guess would be in a type of "plea bargain" (best analogy I can come up with right now), Khan basically got his wish. He's with his crew, and his crew is safe. As I said above, it's really an act of mercy when you think about it.

17. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's an odd moment. I saw a late showing with some friends. We all love this stuff, we all had a bit of a WTF? reaction to that part of the film.

But... that doesn't make it bad, necessarily. It's something I'll have to digest, and a second viewing may help.

On the one hand, it feels a little stale, going over old material like that, so closely, especially as the film's emotional core (it's 2 minutes, sure, but it's also the centerpiece of the film's main story). On the other hand, it can be seen as an original creative choice, and an interesting use of the alternate universe idea from the first film. I can't recall seeing anything quite like it in a film like this.

I'm not sure I would really want to see it become a habit, with each film being built around a big "déjà vu" moment. But in small doses... maybe.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

How would you guys think about the remake of Spock's death scene from TWOK, and had Spock shouted "HAAARRRRRRRRISSSSSOOOOOOOONNN!" after Kirk died, had Harrison NOT been Khan?

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Seen it. Liked it a lot. Anyhow...

Things I liked:

1. Plot

- made much more sense this time around. I haven't really given much thought to plot holes, but honestly, I don't really give a fuck. It worked.

2. Cast

- Zach Quinto is an AWESOME Spock. That scene in Pike's office ("multiple attitudes") was one of his highpoints. He absolutely nailed it.

- Chris Pine IS Jim Kirk. I loved him four years ago, I loved him even more now. And I'm seeing his Kirk grow, from an arrogant hothead into a respectable leader. Pine is a really good actor and I have no doubt he could pull off any kind of Kirk JJ required of him.

- Ben Cumberbatch - amazing performance, but NOT ENOUGH SCREEN TIME! Honestly, I couldn't give a crap about the fact that he and Ricardo Montalban share exactly zero shit in common (apart from both being human males). His Khan was badass. Even though there was absolutely no need to make him Khan. None at all. He could have been just a random augment from Botany Bay, it really wouldn't matter.

John Khaaarison is the best Trek villain since General Chang... OK, since the Borg Queen. Still, immesurably better than Ru'afo or Shinzon, not to mention Nero.

I especially liked the bit when Uhura confronts those Klingons. Zoe knows her tlhIngan Hol, thats for sure. :) It was great hearing that language on screen again. Everyone else was good too, especially Pegg and Urban. Peter Weller I liked as well, not to mention Bruce Greenwood. Too bad they killed Pike off. One less great character in the franchise's future.... Alice Eve / Carol Marcus? Meh. To paraphrase Spock - What the fuck was that chick doing there? Yeah, I know, posing in her undies.

3. Fanwank
    - Those models on display in Marcus' office were a great sight to see. Pine reciting "space, the final frontier" was a nice touch. Ketha province? Get out of here!

Things I disliked:

1. The concept of transwarp beaming
    - the fact that it's the miracoulous uber-amazing super tech is not what bothers me. The problem is that it brings this deus-ex machina feel to the story. Just feels like cheating. Also, this, and the fact that it took Enterprise only 10 seconds to reach Earth from TNZ, makes the galaxy feel rather small. The whole feeling of vastness just goes away.

2. I'm kinda tired now... Fuck this, I loved the movie, lets just leave it at that.

20. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

As a bit of a uniform and insignia nut has there been any official details on the rank bars on their dress uniforms?
    McCoy seemed to have three bars while Scotty had only two, yet they are both lieutenant commanders and heads of department?