Dallas - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 15, 2013.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Have you seen Dallas before? lol Thinking things through was never a strong suit for most of the non-JR characters.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

FINALLY watched these episodes. (Sue me, it's been a long week.)

Mostly I'm enjoying the show. It's still suffering from what it occasionally suffered from last season, the whole modern day drama "let's check in with each other" scenes at the beginning (which could just as easily be serviced by a quick "Previously on..." recap) and otherwise some odd character behavior.

I find it really difficult to believe that Bobby would have just sat there and let Emma talk to Ann that way when they first met without demanding some kind of answer or explanation about why Emma would be so damn rude.

As for why they'd just "walk right up to her," remember these are the super wealthy Ewings. This is exactly the kind of thing Bobby and JR and everyone on the old show did, all the time. Even still, being so super wealthy and powerful, they probably have a much different perspective on things like that than the average viewer like you or I.

I loved seeing J.R. and Sue Ellen together, and his line to Frank "How's it feel bein' a poodle?" had me laughing out loud.

I was kind of hoping the reveal about (Pamela) Rebecca wouldn't have been so straightforward. I mentioned in the last thread my slight disappointment that Cliff was involved in all of it if only because by the end of the old series he and at least Bobby had been able to make amends with each other if only for for the sake of April and Christopher and the other people they mutually cared about. With J.R. out of the picture for (presumeably) most of the past 20 years, I just don't see why Cliff would have engineered a plan to ouster the Ewings like this, let alone his own nephew (and Pam's son) who he generally seemed to actually care about. Now, if it had been about going after John Ross, that'd be a different story.

All that said, I also said in the old thread I would love to see what would happen if Cliff's daughter and J.R.'s son got together, and it looks like we're going to find out! :lol:

The Harris Ryland thing with Emma really bugged me though. At the very least I hope we'll find out exactly what it is he's going to use to defend his actions.

Lastly: the more I see of Josh Henderson, the more I like him as John Ross. Conversely, Jesse Metcalfe annoys me more and more as Christopher, but I think that's more because of his acting and my own personal tastes regarding individual performances (long honed and at times painfully so these last two years whilst reviewing casting auditions for the show I work on.)

Still, it's great to be in the world where DALLAS is back and I will eagerly await next week's episode!

"Love is for pussies."

Never in a million years did I think I'd hear that line said on DALLAS. But I also have to wonder - which sad sack in Misc did they ape it from? :lol:

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

sooo agree on both these actors.

but am I the only one creeped out that Rebecca/ Pamela is Christopher's cousin? and that Jon Ross is now sleeping with a pregnant woman?

4. doubleohfive

Pregnant women can still have sex, you know. Just sayin'...

As for Pamela/Rebecca being Christopher's cousin, it's a complicated relation.

A) Christopher is not Bobby's or Pam's biological son. Christopher is the child of Sue Ellen's sister, Kristin Shepard and Jeff Faraday.

And even if he had been Pam's biological son, it was revealed in the original series that Pam and Cliff were in actuality only half-siblings.

So even though they are sociologically "cousins," biologically there really isn't anything, genetically, to be morally against.

That said, my cousin looks a lot like Anne Hathaway and we are not related to each other by blood at all but we still think of each other as cousins and would never, in a million years think of each other as anything else, so I get why you feel like it would be weird.

5. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it "on demand" yesterday. I'm really liking what they're doing with the younger cast now. They really have stepped up their game. The plot with Emma was kinda "meh" there, until Judith Light showed up. Damn, now she's a demented bitch! I didn't see Emma's kidnapping as a mindfuck at all. Wow. I'd like to see her and JR go toe-to-toe a little before his final episode.

This gets us to the plot with Sue Ellen. I gasped when she poured herself a drink, but I'm so glad they only sent us to the edge there. I really like the way JR is going out - he admits to being a bastard, and he's there to help his son, but at the same time, he's much more of antihero now - coming to Sue Ellen's rescue and telling her how proud he is of her now. That's not something the old JR would have done. I really hope that when he goes out he'll have done something really good for them all for a change while at the same time twisting a knife in somebody's back - preferably Judith Light, just for tickles and grins.

He got double bonus JR points for suggesting they go hire a bunch of wranglers to go beat the shit out of Cliff Barnes. LOL. I'm from the South and I have actually said that to people sometimes just for laughs: "They did what? Well, I say we hire us up a bunch of wranglers to go beat the shit of him and his truck."

Oh, and I see they are going to pit the boys' secretaries at each other. That's an old trick from the original series' playbook. Cool!

6. doubleohfive

Given the number of times the old show relied on Sue Ellen starting to drink again, I wouldn't be surprised if Linda Gray had had it added to her contract that Sue Ellen not start drinking again on the new show.

Yeah, it was nice seeing him do the stand-up thing. That it was for Sue Ellen's sake was even better.

Not necessarily. J.R. had Sly cozy up with Cliff midway through the series as source for Cliff to get J.R.'s inside disinformation. By the end of the series though, Cliff was a partner at Ewing Oil, and all the established secretaries - Sly, Phyllis, Jackie, and Kendall worked together. Though, I do know there was some drama with Julie, J.R.'s first secretary (and mistress) on the show... but I don't remember much about that plot line.

7. wissaboo

I've been a pregnant woman, so I know. It's probably a personal bias but it totally creeps me out if a pregnant woman has sex with a man who isn't the baby's father. :lol:

and ewwww. Christopher and Pamela are cousins. And double ewww Pamela is named after Christopher's mother!

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Just saw the episodes last night and I agree with what's been said. The new cast members have really stepped up their game. And Rebecca is especially more interesting in her new role. Funny… We've got Pam back, but in a way we didn't expect. Last season, I wondered how they'd keep her on the show, but it looks like she'll be a real mainstay now.

Speaking of laughing out loud at J.R., I laughed at this…

Hagman did look a bit unwell and sounded raspy, but he's still got it. I'll miss him when he goes, but it looks like the rest of the cast will be able to hold the show. I both look forward to and dread J.R.'s final episode in a few weeks. The fallout of him finally being gone will be something. I wonder how Cliff will react.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Anne character is the weakest link here, IMHO. The actress was poorly cast... she doesn't stand out to me as a suitable mate for Bobby, either. I can only see her as the character from Desperate Housewives, and I don't find she's in sync with the rest of the cast somehow... I can't explain it well enough. I like her in other things but not this project.

This kind of synergy between the actors is critical... I'm trying to decide if I'm able to still watch post-JR (I am loving each and every one of his brief scenes!!) and Bobby, Sue Ellen, JR Jr. and Pamela are doing it for me. Bobby's son and his squeeze, not so much, but I know they are mere foils for JR. Jr.

Anyway, back to the sloppy long-lost daughter storyline, it is classic old Dallas but you can sort of see where it is heading... Anne will have to somehow 'choose' between her daughter and Bobby somehow (giving up the biofuel secrets?) and choose her, but Bobby will forgive her anyway and it will be discovered that the daughter had been brainwashed from birth to hate her mom as a revenge fantasy from her ex... etc.

By the way, props to the writers for including 'Pamela' somehow... ;) It might be enough to fill a missing hole in the legacy cast. Jeez, the premiere was great but they missed out on an appearance by Cliff Barnes! Hope to see him soon and I hope JR and he have one last scene together.

10. wissaboo

I was thinking how great it would be if they included a montage of great JR scenes in his funeral episode, but I doubt they have the rights to them :(

Side notes, I saw Bobby and Sue Ellen on a talk show and said the send off for JR was handled beautifully. Did you guys know it was Linda Gray's legs on The Graduate poster?

11. doubleohfive

Again, not necessarily. Warner Bros. is still producing the show, so if they still own the rights to the original series, they could easily do a montage as you suggest. One of the considerations however would be aspect ratio - the old show was shot entirely 4:3, and I feel like the revival is shot in HD 16:9. Not impossible to get around, but certainly something to consider.

I did! So cool.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ General Hospital has been doing a lot of flashbacks recently. They look really stretched out and therefore really bad.

Better they should have the black bars on the sides.

13. doubleohfive

14. doubleohfive

15. Ar-Pharazon

It can only get very interesting when Bobby asks J.R. for his particular brand of "help".

Also, Annie get yer gun...and shoot that worm.

16. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that we all will miss Larry Hagman on Dallas, but I really do think that the new cast will be able to carry the show, which will result in very high ratings for TNT. I hope so anyway.

17. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well now, Annie just turned into a real, real interesting character.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Did you cheer? I cheered!

Non-sequitor: Every time I see Pamela Rebecca she reminds of both Denise Richards and Tricia Helfer, like if it were possible for those two actresses to have a love child together, it would grow up to be Julie Gonzalo.

19. Ar-Pharazon

^ I kinda saw it coming in that scene. Especially after Bobby asked for J.R.'s help.

Anne was a little too calm.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I didn't see it coming.
    I just realized that J.R. could be
    a) murdered
    b) it could take until the end of the current series to resolve it

Just a possibility in the sea of ideas to keep the show about JR even if he's not actually in it.
    I would also go for some prolonged exploration of John Ross and Pamela. Each of them have heaps of crazy... both products of two bitter lifelong rivals. Could anyone see them getting married, producing a son and then of course getting down and dirty with drawn out divorces?

:) All of this has happened before... waitaminute!!
    Pamela Barnes = CYLON

Anyway... does anyone else think we are going to get another "Who Shot JR?"