Microsoft planning complete reversal of DRM policy for Xbox One

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by firehawk12, Jun 19, 2013.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not confirmed yet, but Microsoft updated their FAQ page and many sites are basically confirming that the news is real.

Talk about a massive backpedal. I think I'm still sticking to my guns and getting a PS4 though.

Confirmed:
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

They must be so damned worried. So much for the infinite power of the cloud. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I guess they realized they were going to get their shit pounded, sales-wise, in November if they didn't change course once Sony completely smoked them at E3.

Seriously, the only thing missing from that presentation was a mic drop.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

They really didn't have much of a choice. It was a disaster...

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]v=np6vAuS0KNs[/yt]

I must admit, I'm a little surprised. After Sony's conference, I expected they'd wait a month and announce some concessions, but a complete reversal only a week after E3? I guess that shows just how spooked they are by the preorder numbers they're privy to.

Overall, I think this is great news for the industry, but I am a little bummed that they appear to be abandoning the plan to share downloaded games with friends. The industry is moving toward digital distribution over the long term and I'd like for some way to transfer licences to be included in that future.

I'm tentatively sticking with my plan to get a PS4, but I'll see how things pan out over the coming months before making a decision.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Good that they changed their minds but they have only done it due to $$$ and not out of any moral sense or just common sense. Also with PS4 being cheaper and the fact Sony never tried to fuck us, am sticking with the PS4 but I will get an XBox One probably hoilday 2014 when Halo 5 comes out.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Smart move by Microsoft, but I'm still getting a PS4. The only thing that's changed now is that I might get an Xbox One at some point in the future, depending on price drops and whether or not their exclusives can match Sony's (which, based on this generation, I highly doubt). The only game announced for XB1 that genuinely interests me right now is Titanfall, and that's not a permanent exclusive; it'll be on PS4 eventually.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And this is how listening can benefit everyone. They should have done this from the onset, but good on them for changing their minds.

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

In the quite words of Captain Harriman:

Full power reverse!!!!

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Now all we got left is the mandatory Kinect and it's always on, and of course that higher price point.

Still not touching it though, i simply dont trust MS to at some time in the futute try to impliment this again once people have invested in the X1 and have it in their homes, and do they really think we are so stupid to believe this about turn was done for our benefit. lol

But for those that still want a X1 you got your wish.

11. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

I have a mental image of some guy leaving MS today like Dr Claw..."Next time gadget..next time.."

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd still like to give them the middle finger for even thinking about it, but Sony having a monopoly, or even undisputed dominance on the home console market wouldn't be any good for us. Don't really want to contribute to that either.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

When the price drops or my 360 breaks I'll get a One probably. Don't really care at this moment.

14. Bob The Skutter

I'm glad they're reversing the decision. I'm still not going to buy Xbox One, at least not until price drops and a decent amount of games I want. Basically a reverse of this generation with PS3.

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The last console I bought was Mattel's Intellivision, so that won't change anything for me. :)

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

have em come out with a package that drops the kinect entirely and we'll talk

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

This is the only decision they could have made without committing financial suicide. It's nice to know that consumers didn't just sit back and tell Microsoft, "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think they need to fire their entire market research department, as didn't they say they had conducted extensive market research to determine what the consumer wanted, before the back tracking?

Seriously it wasn't rocket science that the entire once a day sign-in was a bad idea. If you need to sign in once to set-up the console, most people who don't have the internet would have a friend that does and they can borrow their internet to set-up

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I did notice one more thing in their annoucnement, no region restrictions for games. Does that mean the blu-ray player will be region-free as well?

20. Bob The Skutter

Doubt it. PS3 doesn't have region restrictions on most games but does on Blu-Rays.