Infinite Regress - Transporter question

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Thorius, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Thorius

Thorius Ensign Red Shirt

So, the crew of Voyager discovers this Borg Viculum device (not sure of spelling) which is causing a problem for 7 of 9. So, they *beam it aboard* to deactivate. If it doesn't resist transporter technology, why wouldn't you just dematerialize it, then *never rematerialize it*? Problem solved?

Is there something about transporters which makes it impossible to *not rematerialize* an object. I realize there are "safety protocols", but it would seem like they could override those protocols in a situation like this?

2. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Transporters sound like the ultimate weapon. Why couldn't they just dematerialise every little problem or alien species they come across?

Well, besides 'because the show wouldnt make sense that way lol!'

3. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

Didn't the viculum contain an all-important doohicky, without which the episode could not go on? Or maybe vital information? It's been a while since I've seen that one.

4. Thorius

Thorius Ensign Red Shirt

Sure, it could be over-used as a plot device, and kill the show, but I guess I'm just wondering why in this particular case, Tuvok didn't at least *suggest* the Logical course of action. Perhaps Janeway could have countered that they needed to learn more about the technology and the virus, as it might provide a defense against the Borg in a future encounter, or something like that. I think that would have been in keeping with Janeway's character, and the typical starfleet mode of operation - learn, learn, learn, no matter the risk. It's just they never even seemed to consider the idea of destroying it with the transporters. Seems odd.

5. Captain_Nick

I'm sure there is some techno-terrific explanation. Perhaps they couldn't penerate the device's protectyon field

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quantums. Quantums quantuming at the subatomic level.

...or some such technobabble. Why didn't they just shoot Genesis torpedoes at the Borg? Unstable cuboid planets are still miles safer than Borg ships.

7. Thorius

Thorius Ensign Red Shirt

Err, except they *did* transport the device successfully. If they couldn't "penetrate the protectyon field", they couldn't transport it at all, logically.

8. Captain_Nick

That will teach me to be posting this late at night

Maybe Tuvok wasn't on the ball that day. Happens to all of us. Although I can't really see him 'accidentally' knocking over a glass of Coke onto his console and losing the data or whatever while it's locked in the pattern buffer. That's more a Paris thing.

9. Captain_Nick

Subatomic, neural, quantum plotprotectyonic radiation. :techman:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Vinculum is probably resistant to tampering, including by transporter. You can beam it aboard, just not *away*.