Why do some people so passionately hate Rod Roddenberry?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stoek, Aug 19, 2013.

1. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't saying that no character in Star Trek ever hated anyone, but I see your point. What I meant was Star Trek often had messages of getting along and giving people the benefit of the doubt. When I see haters I think I see people who didn't get the point of Star Trek and maybe they're the type of fan who just love the space battles

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, you much have. For later in the movie Picard did go and make an attempt to rescue Data.

:)

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, LATER.

In the moment, there was no time to rescue each crewman who was being assimilated to a sickbay that may or may not have been under attack (remember that scene?) and have the Borg crap removed. How many were there? Who would go from deck to deck to find the crew and take them to be deassimilated? How many medical staff would that have taken, and how many security personnel would be needed to fight off the incoming Borg?

While a movie is playing you have time to go grab a box of Milk Duds, their self-deprecating name and remarkably mild flavor are the most apologetic of the boxed candies, but the characters in universe are fighting for their lives.

When it comes down to the nut cuttin', you do what you have to do for your crew. If that means making the decision to kill one who is being/has been assimilated by the Borg, you make the best decision you can at the time.

If that decision is colored by your own experience, so be it. You will live with the consequences of your actions.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I can understand Rod Roddenberry for wanting to better know who Gene was, because he was around 17 when the man died. I was 19 when my Dad died, I was attending college and living at home, and then suddenly I was legally an orphan (due to the under 21 laws at that time).

Similarly, my biggest regret is I never had a chance to talk to my father while as an adult, and learn from his advice, perhaps avoiding many mistakes I've made in the last 40 years.

There's nothing wrong with Rod trying to earn money from the franchise. I'm in possession of poems my mother wrote before she died in 1965. I keep debating whether to make them publicly available. I really know nothing about her at all except she was a 17 year old from a large family when she married.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. marksound

Young people can't understand that as you get older you tend to look at your parents in a different way. Time and experience leads you to understand more of the things that your parents did when they were younger. They will see that in themselves in their daily lives, and they will either laugh or be horrified.

As I grow older, my father and I have more things in common than we did when I was growing up. My dad and I had a strained relationship for a lot of years, but with me in my 50s and he in his 70s, we're working to make it as good as it can be.

It's hard to explain, but rest assured that whatever you're going though there's someone nearby who can understand and help. But before they can help you, you have to be patient with them and help them understand.

I would bet that Rod is searching for his dad through his dad's work.

If people don't agree, that's ok. I'm just throwing that out there for those who don't have a good relationship with their parents and might want to make it better.

Rod maybe didn't get to resolve all the stuff with Gene, but whatever he needs to do to get closure is ok with me.

Of course, if your parents were child molesters or mass murderers none of this applies. :eek:

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

That's just it, there was going to be a later for that crewmember, if Picard didn't kill him..

:)

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Naw, my Dad was a preacher, not a priest. :shifty:

8. marksound

If there was time for that, which there obviously wasn't.

While you were chomping on your Milk Duds, the ship was being overrun by the Borg. Time was critical.

Maybe we didn't see the same movie.