Syfy's 20th Anniversary Special and the Viability of More Farscape?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Re: Syfy's 20th Anniversary Special and the Viability of More Farscape

Stargate, Eureka, and Warehouse 13 were discussed at length, complete with cast interviews. As were Farscape and BSG. Sliders was touched on, but only briefly. Ditto for The Invisible Man.

And, of course, they mentioned Sharktopus!

(Although Mansquito and the Flu Bird Horror went sadly neglected.)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I remember being angry in the earlier years because my local cable company did not carry the Sci-Fi Channel. It was a big deal when my family went on a trip that the hotel had it. It was the first time I saw the Star Trek cartoon.

WHen I was a teenager with money to burn I actually got DirectTV just to get the Channel! Which looking back was crazy. It was mostly to see reruns of shows like The Flash. Which was really the big thing about that channel in the early years. This was before old genre shows were being released on DVD and the only way to see that old stuff at all.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched this when on Monday (I think), and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a really fun look back at all of their different shows. I would have enjoyed it if they'd had some SG:A cast members though, and I was really disappointed that they completely ignored Merlin, and Doctor Who. I know DW is on BBCA now, but it did air on Syfy for four series/seasons. I also thought it was a little weird that they identified Contiuum as an import series, but not Lost Girl.

As for Farscape, I would love to see more of it in pretty much any form. I haven't gotten a chance to read the comics yet, but I plan to. From what I read about them there were some pretty interesting developments during their run.

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found it interesting that First Wave (3 seasons) and Lexx were not mentioned at all; not even a two second flash of the title logo. I also thought we would see something of Tripping the Rift; Sci-Fi seemed so high on it at the time.

And I did find it conspicuous that none of the BBC stuff got a mention. Sci-Fi Channel was, for a great many, their first exposure to the Russell T. Davies Doctor Who; it's where I first saw it and the only outlet I had to see it from.

In any case, I enjoyed the special. It reminded me that Sci-Fi has done a lot of good despite itself.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot about First Wave and Lexx, but didn't those shows, along with Farscape, make up the original Sci-Fi Friday? It would have been nice to get even a feature on the original Friday Night Line-Up because like TGIF on ABC, the Sci-Fi Friday was a fixture for the channel for years before they acquired Friday Night Smackdown.

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The very first Sci-Fi Friday line-up in March 1999 was Sliders, Farscape, Poltergeist the Legacy and First Wave. Sliders had debuted on Sci-Fi Monday nights in September 1998 (paired with Welcome to Paradox), but Sliders entered nearly six months of reruns so that the back half of Sliders season four could help premiere Sci-Fi Friday. Sliders was in the 2.0 ratings range before the reruns; it came back around 1.6 and never recovered.

It should also be noted that Sci-Fi was so confident in First Wave that it committed to co-finance 3 seasons up front; it was this commitment that led to be a factor in Sliders season six not happening. Of course, that was probably a blessing for Sliders. Sci-Fi was planning on slashing the Sliders budget further and using the production model of G vs E (i.e. skirting union rules). The unions shut G vs E down because of the method (leaving it to return and finish the remainder of its obligated episode order as Good vs Evil).

From what little I know, a Sliders season six was going to consist of the Sliders exploring only one patchwork world (the result of season five villain Geiger successfully collapsing the multiverse). This would have cut down on visual effects and set dressings and left the season somewhat like the first half of Andromeda season five. I've often wondered if Sci-Fi decided to take the Sliders cost saving model and just apply it to Andromeda that year; it seems like a big coincidence otherwise.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ineteresting, never heard that before. Kind of funny as I don't think First Wave is remembered too well.

8. Greg Cox

Anybody else remember THE CHRONICLE? I always thought that had potential, although I'm not surprised that they didn't mention it since it didn't last very long.

And I'd completely forgotten about LEXX . . ..

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Browder can easily play 10 years younger than he actually is. In Stargate, I believe the actor that played Mitchell's Dad was actually younger than Browder.

10. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Face Off also. It is fascinating to me to watch the creative process. Also, for a reality show, the contestants often help each other out and though they do talk about each other, I haven't seen any attempts at sabotage. The fourth season starts in January. Hot Set is good too. 2 contestants have to lead teams to build movie sets to the set theme and, as in Face Off, they are given a short amount of time to accomplish it. I enjoy the creativity.

11. cb31

cb31 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought The Chronicle was a great show and I was a little irritated it didn't last longer...but I thought the same thing about Special Unit 2 on UPN also! :(

12. Greg Cox

Very true. This last season, in particular, all of the contestants were very supportive of each other. (Okay, there was that one nutcase in the very first episode, but he stormed off in a huff and never came back . . . not even for the finale.)

And, yeah, HOT SET is fascinating, too, although I often disagaree with the judges . . ..

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

IMDB says Ian Robinson, who played Frank Mitchell, was 2 1/2 years younger than Browder.

Still, I saw Browder at a convention last year (November 2011), and he was starting to look his age. I haven't seen his Chuck or Doctor Who episodes, though, so maybe that doesn't come off on screen.

14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I disagree with them too and sometimes with the judges on Face Off too. One contestant completely missed the concept and they eliminated someone else. I didn't understand that. Oh well, it's still entertaining.

15. Re: Syfy's 20th Anniversary Special and the Viability of More Farscape

Enjoyed the show, but thought the frenetic crazy miniseries really wrapped the show incredibly well.

the story kind of feels "finished" to me. If they did it, and got the actors back, I'd of course watch, but I don't feel that it was a Firefly situation where a grave injustice was done (anymore).

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember enjoying The Chronicle, and I absolutely loved SU2. I probably would own it if had ever come out on DVD.