Who saw A Million ways to die in the west?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by steveda19, Dec 12, 2014.

1. steveda19

steveda19 Lieutenant Commander

I know its a comedy..But most of it is true about the wild west. The Plains and the southwest desert are the most deadly and dangerous places to live. Not only the people like Indians and bad guys will kill you, You got Bears,Rattlers,Panthers,Mountain Lions and Wolves to deal with. And not to forget the food there will kill you eventually.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I didn't bother 'cause it looked like shit. I'm not really a MacFarlane fan though.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I pretty sure only sadists who utterly hate themselves saw it.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

You've got to quit that. :p

I saw it and liked it. While I wouldn't say it's true of the wild west, as it lampoons and hyperbolizes things, there is a kernel of truth in it. The American West was certainly dangerous, due to drought, clashes with native Americans, and disease, but most reports of gunfights and lawlessness were most certainly exaggerated.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There were also lots of cases of something violent happening to someone (usually to their genitals or ass) and then people standing by in exaggerated surprise and going "Ohhh!!!!!"

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As someone who loves anything by Seth McFarlane... I didn't really like it :p There were only a few really funny bits and far too much of it screamed stilted stand-up routine and vanity project.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It was about 45 minutes of material stretched to fill a feature. A project that probably should have died in development but made it through because of his pull in the industry. Making a couple shows that run for a decade tends to earn you a bit of goodwill.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Agreed, I got too much of what I was expecting which killed it for me.

9. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I liked it, but I have to agree it wasn't really enough material for a whole feature.

OT: Speaking of dark comedies, just having seen your avatar bountiful, I now know what I will watch tonight... with a bottle of Bourbon.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It had some moments... & a lot of non-moments. NPH kind of annoyed the ever loving shit out of me after a while though

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty average film. A good case of if you saw the trailer you saw 90% of the funniest scenes in the movie.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah.

An addendum to my last post, I didn't expect the sheep penises.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I told many people back when it was in theatres, it's funny, but not hilarious. Granted, I've pretty much given up on Seth McFarlane in recent years, though I did enjoy Ted. However, between Ted and A Million Ways, Ted is definitely the superior movie.

One thing that did impress me with A Million Ways was that it actually is a well-crafted movie. Meaning they did their homework making it feel like a proper Western with all the location work and all that. So much so that I kind of wish they had dropped the silly toilet humour and tried to make it an honest Western, which I think McFarlane could have pulled off. Unfortunately, marketing it would have been impossible. A Western from the guy who makes Family Guy doesn't quite wok as well in promotional circles as a comedy from the guy who makes Family Guy does.