X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

The part of the interview that most interested me was the talk of mining the X-Men universe. I had been hoping for something like this.

I would be cool to keep the First Class timeline going, showing early exploits. Then you could have a present day timeline with the original cast, or even solo films like Wolverine. Doing a spin-off like X-Factor or even Excalibur set in the present timeline would also be cool. You could bring back an older version of Havok for X-Factor and get Nightcrawler back for Excalibur.

If done right, as Marvel has to date, they could do some amazing stories and have cool cross-overs. Maybe like introducing Apocalypse in X-Factor in a small role, and then having him be a huge villain in an X5 or something.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^That is exactly the reason that I don't read the comics. Too complicated. Too many crossovers and stories happening in multiple titles.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I agree COMPLETELY.

Sure in a small restrained way way it could work. But going overboard is going to alienate the mass audience if you need to see every spin-off to understand the main films. Which is why I have stopped reading comics.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be nice, maybe, if DOFP was the last hurrah for the original cast, maybe even including Wolverine. At the end, they could declare the timeline altered, such that a third First Class doesn't serve as a prequel to the original movies.

That way, you could do far out stuff like having Fassbender's Mags build Asteroid M in the 80s...

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You make it sound like they're pumping out 12 X-Men movies a year that one MUST see in order to understand the other.

1 or 2 a year isn't exactly tough to keep up with, and they don't have to be "must sees" to understand the others, I'm sure.

Did the last Wolverine movie REALLY connect to the last X-Men movie, for example? Not at all.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If they're standalone movies (like Wolverine), that's all well and good. I just don't see the need to start having the Marvel universe all over the place in every movie. I just get wary with the term "crossover." There comes a point where it simply gets obnoxious, as if the X-Men don't have enough characters to support their own movies. Just because characters exist in the same universe doesn't mean they need to run into each other all the time. There are plenty of X-Men stories to tell without dragging other teams into the mix.

Especially with all the individual Avengers movies coming out and the Guardians of the Galaxy and Spiderman and whatnot, throwing even more Marvel Universe movies out there is just going to feel like superhero overload.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I hope they don't go as far as to reboot the last movie just because it might fuck up the Wolverine movie that looks like might be good.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't have as many problems with X-Men: The Last Stand as everyone else does. I think it is a pretty weak and anemic entry in the series, particularly when compared with the Singer & Vaughn entries. But I don't find it nearly as offensive as everyone else seems to. Plus, I don't really see the point in totally ignoring it because it's not like 20th Century Fox is ever going to let Singer get another bite at that apple. They're not going to let Singer, or anyone else, produce a new, Phoenix-related sequel to X2 that just pretends that X-Men: The Last Stand never happens. The Last Stand happened and I'm glad that Singer at least acknowledges that he'll have to deal with it, even if he just does it by using time travel to retcon it away. At least there's still an in-universe explanation for it. (Time travel retcon is also the only thing that prevents me from completely disowning J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movies.)

OT, but as someone else who's been fairly disappointed with Daniel Craig, I'd love to see Fassbender as Bond! (And I've been advocating doing Bond movies as Cold War period pieces for the last 10 years.)

Yeah. McAvoy has a pretty round face. I doubt that would take to old age make-up very well. I also think his resemblance to Patrick Stewart is strained as it is (although, somehow, he falls into it a bit more naturally than Tom Hardy ever did).

As for Fassbender, you may recall from the making-of docs on X-Men: First Class that the studio was very leery of casting Fassbender in the first place because they thought he looked too old. Making him look older probably wouldn't be a problem.

Or, they could just go the Downton Abbey route. (In universe, there's about a 10 year span between the beginning of Season 1 and the end of Season 3. Yet they made absolutely no effort to age anyone.)

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

An X-Men/Avengers crossover movie would be tha shiznit.

But it would have to take place on the moon.

THE MOON!

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I have a small confession-- I've never actually seen X3: The Last Stand.

The spoilers and rumors that I heard gave me serious reservations about the movie to start with, so I decided to wait for some genuine word of mouth. The word of mouth, of course, was awful. Cyclops gets the shaft? Again? Vaporized by Jean, no less? Xavier killed in the same way? Butchered the classic Dark Phoenix saga, that Bryan Singer had so perfectly set up? Lame. So I decided that I would rather not see it at all rather then see one of my favorite stories of my youth done badly.

The funny thing is, I actually own it. It was given to me as a gift. Part of a box set that had the first three X-Men movies, both Fantastic Four movies, Daredevil and Elektra.

But now, with Singer opting to take the movie into account with DoFP, talk of "fixing" things from the movie, The Wolverine picking up from X3, and finally this bit...

...which may just be Singer thrown out red herrings, have all combined to convince me.

I need to watch X3. What the hell, I didn't pay for it. Somewhere out there, Admiral Young is screaming. Wish me luck. I'll see you on the other side.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^If you go into it knowing that it's awful, you might not hate it that much. :p

13. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

X3 had some interesting bits - but it wasn't the best really. Just take it for what it is

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would love to someday see the Phoenix Sage redone. Especially with the success of Thor and Avengers, it's clear that the movies can easily get away with aliens and more mystical adversaries. As much as I enjoy the first two X-Men movies, I think the series grounded itself a little too much.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm back. That really wasn't very good, was it? Too clutered. Too many characters. Too much going on at once. The Jean sub-plot was a total waste. The movie lost a lot of energy that it never quite regained after Xavier was killed, but that paticular sting was lessened knowing what waited in the post-credits.

But Nick Ryder is right, there were some good bits. In particular-- I liked seeing the Danger Room, I liked Kelsey Grammer's Beast, and laughed out loud and clapped with his delivery of, "Oh, my stars and garters". :lol: I liked the Fastball Specials, Iceman icing up and best of all-- Kitty vs the Juggernaut!:cool:

But, yeah, not a great movie. Still, with both DoFP and The Wolverine picking up from it, I'm glad I took the time to familiarize myself with it.

Honestly, they could've done Dark Phoenix without needing to go cosmic at all. Instead of eating a star and destroying an inhabited planet, she eats a nuclear power plant and destroys a city. Instead of the Imperial Guard, you use the army, or X-Factor, or Freedom Force or some other government mutant agency to bring her down.

If you should ever watch/re-watch the "Dark Willow" arc of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, take note of the fact that it is beat for beat essentially an adaptation of Uncanny X-Men 135-136.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think the precedent set by the first two films implied a rendition of the Dark Phoenix saga that would be anywhere near as far-flung as the comic version. Not without a massive budget increase at any rate.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh, I get what you're saying, and I do agree that the Phoenix Saga could have worked within these movies without all the cosmic stuff.

I'm just saying that I'd love to see a big-screen version one day that is more true to the comics. I want to see a big flaming bird that eats stars, and I want to see the X-Men battle the Shi'ar on the moon!

18. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Feh, no thanks. If I want that kind of far-fetched stuff I'll go watch Thor. :P

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    One thing I never quite understood was why X-Men: The Last Stand was so short. I mean, it's only a little over 100 minutes long, barely longer than the 1st one. Perhaps the movie wouldn't have felt quite so crowded if it had been at least as long as X2.

I think most of us would agree that X-Men: The Last Stand can't hold a candle to X-Men, X2, or X-Men: First Class. But what I'm wondering is, how do you folks think it stacks up next to X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

Personally, I go back & forth. The Last Stand fumbles one of the most iconic stories in comic book history. But there are some isolated moments that work really well. I think the deaths of Professor Xavier & Phoenix are both given the right sense of operatic treatment. The same can be said for when Mystique & Magneto get de-powered. The big moments work. It's all the lovely little small moments that are missing; small moments that Singer handled so well in the 1st 2 movies.

Wolverine never quite reaches the operatic highs of The Last Stand. But at the same time, it doesn't make any truly egregious missteps either. (Deadpool could have been better, but that's not a big issue for this movie.) There's a mediocre competance to Wolverine that gives it a far more even feel than The Last Stand.

So is it better to squander enormous potential or succeed at lower expectations? I used to prefer The Last Stand, but I've found myself leaning more towards Wolverine in the last couple years.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" ranks below "X-Men: The Last Stand" for me. Just was a disappointing disaster IMO. "The Wolverine" from all accounts is the film that Origins should have been.