What Are You Working On (And How Are You Getting There)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 23, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been working on getting a full time job for a long time now. In the Short term, I'm doing a few projects for my Dad and will be doing my Taxes in a few weeks.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm working a big site that will give chronological reading lists for all the Star Trek novel series, both those based on the shows and those Lit-only series, which are in any way connected to Pocket Book's 'Star Trek Lit-verse.' There will be a few other smaller projects on the site. I've been working on it slowly for a couple years, but real life keeps getting in the way. I've resolved to finish it for sure this year, but I think the actual publication date will be just a few months away. That's what I've been doing most of this afternoon.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

true dat, but I never got the chance to see the actual stadium itself...although you have. :scream: ;)

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

a few things, I'm working on getting my BSEE but that's a few years and a lot of class hours away, something more short terms is that I'm writing some erotic slash fic for an art commission, and I'm working on building a Remington 700.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The Orioles need an asterisk, but for other reasons...

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" fan fictions, and yes they are. If you're interested, the link to all of them are here: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/TheLotusTeaDragon

Just scroll down and they're on the right hand side if you're interested. If not, I understand.

The only one offhand I can think of that's decent is Freenote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suishouxie.freenote&feature=related_apps

It's free, and has a decent number of writing tools.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There are always those newfangled pencil things.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I found an old novel that I was working on a couple of years ago that has potential, so I'm doing extra research for it (heavy on the research). Also a movie script idea I've had kicking round for a while. Which is why I won't be around so much for a while.

Fanfics. I have a couple up on fanfiction.net, Discworld ones. Turned out pretty well.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

My flat is in pieces right now because I am totally remodelling it. I have filled in one bedroom door and made a new entrance in a different wall, and I am putting in French doors to let much more light into the room. That has been a nightmare as the walls were wood lath and plaster, covered by another drywall wall that had been built over the top. Ended up with about 40 bags of rubble for a 1.5 x 2.5 metre hole.

I also have my kitchen and lounge floor up as I am tiling the kitchen floor and putting down a wooden floor in the lounge.

Once the new black tiled kitchen floor is in I am putting in new units that are gloss white, a new sink, a new monobloc tap and a new worktop, and moving the oven across the room which has necessitated cutting a channel through the stone floor for the electric supply.

This is all to meet a summer deadline, as I am renting this place to friends and moving away for a while

Also, somebody just gave me my first games console, a hand-me-down Xbox 360, so I am working on playing my first computer game in 20 years. Mass Effect.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

That sounds intense. Are you moving far/for long?

Also I'd like to encourage people to engage with each other more in this thread!

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well then, just go there, and you won't be depressed anymore! :)

It really is a very nice ballpark. Much better than the Metrodome. It'll even get the All-Star Game next year!

As for my trips this year - probably the ones I'm most excited about are AT&T Park (Giants) and Dodger Stadium. Those will probably become my favorite non-NY parks by the time I get there!

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know exactly where i'll be moving to yet, i'll be teaching and it depends where I get placed. But out of the country at least, and somewhere non english speaking. And it's a minimum placement of a year. I'm quite excited as I have been in the same job for 10 years, and have tired greatly of sitting in an office all day. I snapped a few months back and applied for the training. I now have about 6 months to save as much money as fast as possible.

Incidentally, as far as finance tips go, if you are talking about basic budgetting for yourself rather than investments and such? Write it down. Just write it all down, all the incomings, all the outgoings, and every bit oif it. When you can see what is happening to your money right in front of you it's much easier to understand. You can't budget in your head, you'll just make the calculations you want to make ;)

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

That's fantastic! Not the snapping part, but the rest. I hope that it's a great experience for you. And thanks for the tips, I'm definitely trying to write it all down.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I have a lot of goals.

1. Learn the ropes of my new position. I just started a few weeks ago. I've already been sort of useful, but my new boss is extremely busy and doesn't have time to point me to everything I need. There have also been issues getting me set up with the software I need, so I can't even do what I need to do. Things might be tough for a while.
    2. Get a bigger place this summer. That one's a question of money and location.
    3. Finish editing my friend's novel.
    4. Finish editing my own novel (a NaNo from last year.)
    5. Work on a visual novel with my girlfriend.
    6. Continue working on SagaSim (the world simulator linked in my sig.)
    7. Get my son's medical issues addressed (or at least get some progress going.)
    8. I have a couple other story ideas I'd like to put down, too. One of them, I am already writing. Should probably turn out as a short story.
    9. Rebuild my primary Web server since it's kind of a mess.
    10. Take a vacation with my girlfriend sometime this summer. May go to Montreal.

I always have a lot going on.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's crazy talk. Quit talking crazy.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm...
    - Trying to learn to use my insulin pump to its fullest potential so that I can have better control of my diabetes.

- Trying not to lose my temper with my dad while I plant some seeds of skepticism so that maybe he'll stop blaming me for having diabetes and stop recommending stupid fucking naturopaths. There is little in this world that causes me as much disgust as alternative "medicine."

- Trying to learn the ukulele.

17. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the "can o' worms" kind of thread... some will open it, some won't. Maybe some don't have any worms (you've already got plenty of fish, so you're set).

Lucky 13. I really hope it is. For me and everyone else here. Lots of interesting insight into what people are up to. I wasn't going to contribute, but... what the hell, why not.

I hit a major roadblock in my life, for no apparent good reason on the outside (I'm healthy, had been doing pretty well financially, was gainfully employed, etc). I sank into depression after I was laid off from a rather unscrupulous company that had bought our division from our comparatively larger parent company, then sent 40% of the staff home after a few months (despite promises to the contrary), to later enable two senior executives to pilfer resources and forge documents to gain a massive infusion of investment but got caught and caused the whole company to collapse in the most deplorable disgrace. This was in mid 2009.

I hadn't had a really good long vacation for quite some time, so with the sinking economy and jobs being shed, not opened, I purposefully decided to take a break for a year and work on a few personal things. What I hadn't anticipated is how... dependent I was on external structure. I wasn't very self disciplined and didn't really make much progress in 2009. By mid 2010 I was really starting to get scared, as employment opportunities were still really dismal.

I decided to start writing a book, with much encouragement from several trusted friends, using a lot of ideas I had jotted down over the years. A kind of philosophical book on where humanity is ultimately going, what are chief areas of concern (beyond the obvious tremendous negatives to the environment) and some remedial suggestions as to how to move forward in a more productive way. But after 12 months of slaving away, I came to discover that Al Gore was doing the same kind of book. My efforts would prove superfluous. Don't you just hate that kind of thing? It sunk me further into the damp, dark doldrums.

Well, I had tried a few different medications to help soften the periodic dips into deep depression, but all of them altered my consciousness in peculiar ways... I didn't like it one bit. Fortunately, I began to discover a few things that would help pull me out of it more naturally. Exercise, hydration, plenty of sleep, and focusing on small easily accomplished tasks to bolster feelings of self-worth. It's so very hard to do this when you've got the kind of mind that can't help but be comparative to past potential... a side effect of learned behavior. I hate being fragile to external opinions.

So, to try putting it more briefly, I'm working on two things:
    1. Improvement of self-image
    2. Achieving gainful employment

Once those two are squared away, the runway will be cleared for delving into many other things on the back burner, including a shifting of my book focus in a way that might still prove useful, yet without loaded expectations.

18. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to write more on my "last man" story. Problem with me is I like to write it all to be just right from the start. Which is insane, and it makes for some really chopped up writing. Now it's more a question of just sitting my ass down and just continuing. To get somewhere.

19. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wish I actually WANTED something. :p

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to say never a larger scam was put into play than "natural medicine" until I met the Leahman Brothers.

and I saw your ukulele vid, not bad, but could use my ocarina