Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Yminale, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well, if I recall correctly, atheists want to:

1] Subjugate religion
    2] Force churches to disband
    3] Indoctrinate children
    4] Rule the world
    5] Put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am totally down with #5, but all the rest sounds like too much work for me.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

We atheists will...

1] Subjugate religion - With a big stick.
    2] Force churches to disband - With a big stick.
    3] Indoctrinate children - IN THE SCIENCE CLASSROOM!!
    4] Rule the world - They shall kneel before Zod.
    5] Put our hands in the air and wave them like we just don't care - Don't be ridiculous, man. We're not monsters.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

What about Antitheists then? ;)

5. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

They just sit around arguing about finding a better name.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should concentrate on learning their instruments.

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, there is a small minority of "evangelical" atheists who embarrass the rest with vocal intolerance of any sign of religious beliefs, no matter how traditional and watered down. At Christmas they probably go down to the mall and tell three-year olds that Santa is a fraud.

You could argue that they're not so much atheists as religious fundamentalists whose adopted religion is a belief in No-God, the next logical step after moving from polytheism to monotheism, and more strident against monotheists than monotheists were against polytheists. Fortunately they're a small minority.

The most amusing thing I've run across are strident agnostics who were trying to codify agnostic beliefs. I guess they were worried about having the wrong doubts. :D

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's even worse are Pollytheists, who worship parrots. :shifty:

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It amazes me that this debate exists. Creationism is an item of faith, not of science and thus doesn't belong in science classes. Even if you believe in Creationism, there's no scientific aspect to it- as a matter of fact it's there to try and refute science.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Meh, beats Pantheists, who trusts a guy whose half goat anyway?

11. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with creation stories being taught in school. However only as part of a mythology or comparative religions class. And even then multiple creation myths would have to be discussed.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I don't think it extends to electrical appliances. I'm not a FRYING-pantheist!" - Dave Lister :guffaw:

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

I'm beginning to suspect there's more to the terms "hardshell Baptist" and "soft-shell Baptist" than I had assumed. Maybe it has something to do with crabs, like Big-Endians and Little-Endians in Gulliver's Travels.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah. The apatheists started to say the same thing, but just trailed off and resumed playing XBOX.

What if we were to get jiggy with it instead?

They can join the Uncle Theists. [boo!]

They could call themselves the Quarrymen. I heard that name's no longer taken.

[boo!]

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Do Baptists walk sideways? I'd never noticed.

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

No, but some of them have a wide stance.

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was going to clarify some remarks I made earlier in the thread, and explain why I said some of the things I did, but it's not worth the effort.

Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that the efforts of people to corrupt science and science eduction for religious reasons are unwelcome and will not be tolerated. Attempts to dress the vehicles of such efforts (which are analogous to pathogens) up in scientific jargon fail because the bread and butter of science is detecting falsehood.

Of course, the reason why science education is targeted is transparent: it is necessary to compromise the ability of practicing scientists to detect falsehood in order for counterfeit science to be passed off as genuine, and the only way to undermine that ability is to delude the minds of practicing scientists.

This is one reason why I said upthread that creationism is really a political movement, rather than an intellectual one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, after Cain slew Abel, he went off to the land of Nod where he knew his wife and started a family. This would mean that Cain married either a sister or a niece or some other relation and their children had children, etc. Of course at this point, there's the question of why her origin wasn't mentioned, but even more so the fact that inbreeding had to have taken place.

How do they explain it? They claim "it is not a problem early on in the human race because the genetic line was so pure." What folly. The birth defects tend to arise because the genes are too closely matched. But in any case, the argument always falls flat because someone will say "God permitted inbreeding for a period of time so that there wouldn't be birth defects." And only once it started to become a problem, was incest finally banned in Leviticus.

That's what gets me the most, is how people concoct assumptions for things excluded from the text. So much for the perfect work. "But if it covered everything, the book would become too unwieldy." :wtf: That's just a cop out for obvious flaws/shortcomings. If the loose ends were tied up, I don't think it would've increased the book by more than 10%. It's clear that there are about a dozen specific "holes" that are raised as imperfections. It's not hundreds. Why not prevent those ambiguities or imperfections to exist in the first place? THIS is a real problem, because if it causes significant confusion or entices people to question their faith, then it's not a perfect work.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, the story also omits how Adam and Eve traveled from the Russia to the fertile crescent. Obviously the Garden of Eden was in the old Soviet Union because where else could two people have no house, no clothes, and one piece of fruit between them and think they were living in paradise?

The Adam and Eve story in the Koran is a bit more interesting because in it Allah made Adam from black mud, obviously the same genetically active bio-material the Ancient Engineers were playing around with in Prometheus.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I prefer the Book of Lilith.