Getting into Star Trek, what should I watch!??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nibbz, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

Hey there, after going to The Hobbit in IMAX 3D and seeing the incredible Star Trek Into Darkness preview, I had to watch the 2009 film and was absolutely blown away. It's gotten me very interested in the Star Trek universe and television series', as well as the other films, and I'd like to begin watching as much as I can. However, there are a huge number of episodes in each series, and I would like to watch them all if I had the time which sadly I do not.

I was hoping someone could offer me an essential list of episodes from each season/series to watch, as I'm sure each series, and each respective season most likely has their filler episodes that aren't compeltely necessary to watch.

Thank you for your input.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NuTrek doesn't well resemble any of the 5 pre-existing series.
    If you enjoyed the characters, try TOS but I have a feeling you're better off with TNG. Bear in mind, the pace is glacial compared to JJ's trek.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, the good news is that the new movies are set in a whole new timeline with its own continuity, so you don't NEED to see any of the earlier series to understand the next movie. But if you want to see the roots of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the gang, you can't go wrong watching some episodes from the original series. Especially the first two seasons, which have most of the classic episodes. (The third season is uneven, to say the least!)

And, if various (conflicting) rumors about the new movie are true, the following may be of special interest.

"The Cage" --the original ST pilot--featuring Captain Pike, who also appears in the new movies.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before"--the second pilot, which introduced Captain Kirk. There are rumors the new movie may be partially inspired by this ep.

On the other hand, there are competing rumors that the new movie may have something to do with Khan, in which case you might want to check out:

"Space Seed"--featuring the origin of Khan
    THE WRATH OF KHAN, the movie about Khan's revenge.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, of course, and doesn't even touch on the later series like Next Generation, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.

4. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

I understand the new movie(s) are a totally different pacing with totally different effects. I enjoy old movies/tv and am not a snob that only watches new stuff. Basically, I'd like a selection of episodes from each series to watch. I like the mythos, not only the blockbuster quality of the new film. I would very much like to watch all the series in order, but would like to watch must watch episodes since there are so many in each series.

5. Greg Cox

Okay, for TOS, the best eps include:

"Errand of Mercy" (first appearance of the Klingons)
    "Balance of Terror" (enter the Romulans)
    "Journey to Babel"
    "Amok Time"
    "Devil in the Dark"
    "Mirror, Mirror" (first appearance of Mirror Universe)
    "City on the Edge of Forever"
    "The Trouble with Tribbles"
    "The Doomsday Machine"
    "Arena"

I'll let somebody else tackle the latter-day series.

6. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

For some, or even most, do you need to watch episode by episode or do they stand alone well by themselves?

7. Greg Cox

For the original series, the episodes are all standalones. They didn't do story arcs and such back in the 60's. There are some recurring villains, like the Klingons and Romulans, but that's about it as far continuing threads ago.

DS9 is really the only Trek series that was heavily serialized, at least in its later seasons.

8. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a pretty perfect list of some of the best TOS episodes. I would add "Space Seed" to the list, though.

As for the original movies, 2-4 is a pseudo-trilogy with 2 and 4 being solid entries and 3 being weaker, but not awful. The 6th movie is pretty phenomenal too and is the last time the original cast appears on screen together.

9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From DS9

Duet
    In The Hands of The Prophets
    In The Pale Moonlight

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost forgot our story, Galaxy Quest :alienblush:

11. Greg Cox

Thanks. I had mentioned "Space Seed" in my previous point, so it seemed redundant to mention it again . . .

12. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, didn't catch that!

13. Creatre

Creatre Ensign Newbie

I would personally start with Enterprise. It's a big jump to go from JJ's Trek to TOS. At least Enterprise looked and felt modern. May not be the best series, but should be a good introduction, and only 4 seasons. Can move on to TNG after that, and really after catching those two series, he'd enjoy any of the other ones he chose.

I would not recommend starting with DS9 or Voyager, they will be too slow and won't make much sense without watching a couple of the other series. You can try starting with TOS, but I fear for you they will seem super boring and straight up humorous and you likely won't be pulled into the Trek world.

Good luck!

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had more success using DS9 more than any other series to convert new fans to Star Trek. :p

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you like new new films, you want The Original Series, of course! It's lots of campy 60's fun. Much more accessable and fun than the later series', which took themselves a bit too seriously.

Also the first six Trek movies, all featuring the original cast. Movies II, III and IV are a loose trilogy, the rest are stand-alone.

Enjoy!

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Greg's list is perfect (though not really a fan of Devil or Arena; just a bit too cheesy for my taste). All the Trek series are dated now and have their problems but they're easy to get into for anyone who has more than a passing interest in character and story. Yes, even VOY and ENT.

regarding series 'tasters', why not watch pilots of each series? All bearable. Though the DS9 one is a bit weird and the TNG one meh.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I might in episodes like

"The Corbomite Maneouver"
    "Errand of Mercy"
    "By Any Other Name"
    "The Ultimate Computer"

18. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm surprised that "The Corbomite Manuever" hasn't come up. That TOS episode is, for me, the beginning, middle and end of all things Trek. A perfect introduction with superior lighting and performances.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Read my post directly above yours.

20. Greg Cox

Regarding the earlier cycle of movies, the best ones are:

The Wrath of Khan
    [The Search for Spock--probably need to watch this one, too, for continuity's sake.]
    The Voyage Home
    The Undiscovered Country
    First Contact