E-E & DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, May 13, 2007.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Simple question: Do you wish the Enterprise E would have made at least one show during the Dominion War?

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

Knowing the Star Trek writers. It probably would have been something that undermined the Dominion war.

3. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never heard an official statement of this fact, but there seems to have been an agreement to keep the TNG films & the series separate.

Plus there was no way they would have gotten Patrick Stewart on the series, look at the amounts he got for Insurrection and Nemesis!

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah...it would have felt forced and it would have taken attention away from DS9, imo.

That's partially why I think it was silly that E-E appeared in the beginning of the DS9 relaunch.

5. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it would have been interesting to see IMO.

6. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Agree. Though, I certainly understand and respect the opinions of those who don't agree. One episode, a joint mission between the Defiant and E-E to find the Valiant and perhaps take on the Jem'Hadar Battle Ship (prototype).

Like to see Picard and Sisko work together to defeat a common enemy, knowing their past.

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wouldn't have minded if there were no crew interactions at all. There were plenty of front-line space battles where the Enterprise-E or another Sovreign-class or two could have been dropped in, either using clips from First Contact or Insurrection or all-new ones.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there some issue with the CG model for the Sovereign being property of ILM or something like that to begin with ? I realise ILM did not supply the effects for Insurrection or Nemesis, though.

9. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, the Enterprise-E was the property of Paramount. The story that usually gets told around here is that Paramount insisted that the Enterprise-E should not be used for television. That's why the Sovereign-class never appeared on DS9, but the other ILM-designed ships from First Contact appeared on DS9 and Voyager.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

my answer is the same as always: Sure, it would be great if they would do it right: The situation that brings them together is legitimate, the story is good, the characters are true, nothing in the films or the series contradicts each other.

11. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Why? So that cast could ruin a perfectly good episode like they did the ENT series finale? :p

I'll take a 'pass'.

Nah...if blending TNG and DS9 was so important, they should have written the Dominion War and the DS9 cast into TNG's feature films. :p

What? The TNG fans wouldn't like that?

Imagine that. :rolleyes:

12. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just wanted to see it sweep by when the Federation armada gathered in "What You Leave Behind". That's all.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, for one thing the TNG only fans wouldn't have a clue as to who the DS9 cast were, or what the "Dominion" was, so that may be a reason they weren't included other than few lines of dialogue to explain Worf's presence.

And also, you can't possibly balme TATV on the TNG cast, can you? What stunk was the script, and that it was the series finale. If that had been any other episode and Trip not die, no one would be complaining.

14. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well since the TNG films were made to attract a wider audience (unsuccessfully) I don't think ignorant TNG fans were a factor. :D

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

They could've included it as a valentine for DS9 fans.

16. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Actually Trip dying didn't really bother me that much at all. Jadzia died too, so although Trip dying was sad, it was hardly an anomaly.

But you are darn right I blame the TNG cast, at least in part, for the disaster of the ENT finale.

I thought that the both of them - both Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis - were money-grubbing jerks, to even agree to take part in such a spectacle. All they had to do was READ THE SCRIPT to know that what B&B were asking them to do was take the ENT SERIES FINALE and turn it into a TNG episode.

*And* have the unselfishness, for one brief NANOSECOND of their pitiful non-working-except-in-Trek-lives, to ask themselves how THEY would have felt if the TOS cast had been asked to come in and wrap up THEIR show for them.

There are alot of people who are angry about that episode. And not all of us post in the ENT forum and know...or even CARE what the prevailing opinion is among hardcore ENT fans. So I have no idea what would have had to happen for, as you put it, 'no one to be complaining'. Believe it or not, some of us arrived at our anger about this episode all on our own - including some of us who aren't even particular fans of ENT at all!

I didn't care all that much for ENT one way or the other. But I DO have a strong sense of fairness. And it was brutally unfair to not allow the ENT cast to have their series finale...WITHOUT the same, tired TNG cast members busting in and turning it into yet ANOTHER episode of TNG.

17. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did.

Both the Borg and the Dominion were mentioned as serious threats in INSURRECTION.

18. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Funny thing was, the Dominion was a more threatening enemy than the wussy Son'a and the ridiculous Remans.

I think actually the E-E not being involved worked to the detriment of the TNG films. They weren't able to tap into the Trek zeitgeist and be relevant; INS and NEM struggled to make their stories something people would care about and in the end they largely failed. FC had Earth truly in the balance, GEN had Kirk despit its flaws.

19. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was probably better to keep the E-E out of DS9. While it would have been awesome to see it in the finale, it's better to assume that the E-E was taking care of more important things, like diplomatic stuff and being part of the fleet defending Earth.

I think the Tholians would have been a more interesting race to use in Nemesis. Of course, the title would be different and the story would be different as well. We don't know much about the Tholians after all. They could have drawn people to see it because of the mystery that surrounds them.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but then the problem would be that the casual moviegoer Trek fan wouldn't know who the Dominion were.

And even if they did go to the trouble of explaining the backstory of who the Dominion were and what led up to the war (the opening sequence could be a Federation New Broadcast on the war), they'd get opposition from the DS9 writing staff over what they could or couldn't do with the story.

Ira Behr was PO'ed enough that the Defiant was in First Contact at all, you'd know he'd go nuclear at the TNG crew fighting in the Dominion War.