Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Arc of infinity - 5th doctor

Next up, Snakedance

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Planet Of Evil, sort of - I was listening to the commentary rather than actually watching it, as such...

3. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The Android Invasion (Fourth Doctor).

The last appearance of Harry Sullivan and Sgt. Benton and unfortunately they had little to nothing to do. The story is good, though when the first alien first appeared I thought it was a Sontaran, but resolves itself too quickly. I think it would have been interesting if the Androids had been able to establish a larger foothold on the Earth before they were defeated. It's also too bad the Brig didn't show up but he probably wouldn't have had much of a role.

The Robots of Death (Fourth Doctor).

Robots gone amuck! A fun story though once again resolved a little too easily.The captain of the mine is a fun character to hate. The idea of Poul and D84 being agents for the mining corporation was interesting but it wasn't developed enough and D84 came across as unintelligent in some scenes despite being programmed for investigation.

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sontaran Experiment.

A good little two parter, shot entirely on location. There can't be many episodes that have no studio shots.

Harry and Sarah are probably my favourite male/female companion team.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The Tomb of the Cybermen - I forget the amount of causal racism in that story - shifty foreign types and... Toberman... yes I know nobody would have batted an eyelid at the time and the past is a distant country and all that but.. Toberman.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"You do not talk to him. He is my servant."

Oh, man that dates the story so bad.

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

"Frontier in Space" and "Planet of the Daleks".

Both pretty decent serials without being anything exceptional. Pertwee is typically fabulous and acerbic, which is always a joy. If there's a third Doctor serial I don't enjoy, I can't immediately recall what it might be.

"Frontier" is of course the last serial to feature the Pertwee / Manning / Delgado trio. They had great chemistry together and always managed to elevate whatever material they had to work with. It's unfortunate that the original plan for the Master ended with Delgado's death.

8. NCC-1701-B

Enlightenment, up to part 3

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Tenth Planet. i'd never seen it before. thought it was really good.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    How do you date a story about time travel?;)

IIRC, "Survival" was shot entirely on location.

This seemed to be an era of aliens that are vaguely reminiscent of Sontarans. I also felt that way about the Zygons in "Terror of the Zygons." And if you look at the forehead right around the eyes, the Draconians from "Frontier in Space" also look a lot like the Sontarans.

11. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The Krotons (Second Doctor).

Robert Holmes' first contribution to Doctor Who and it's a good one despite the fact that that Krotons themselves were so poorly designed by the art department. The concept of a race of creatures, robots?, made of a crystaline material is interesting. It's just too bad they were so ackward. It was also good to see Philip Madoc again, definately one of Doctor Who's players for all seasons. I Liked how his character arc wasn't resolved in the end, it's something that will have to be delt with by the population after the Doctor leaves.

Horror of Fang Rock (Fourth Doctor).

A good old fashioned horror story, shape-shifting monster and all. The confined lighthouse set worked to the episode's advantage. The guest cast also did well but I was waiting for both Lord Palmerdale and Adelaide to kick the bucket. I was surprised however that everybody except the Doctor and Leela was killed off. In the beginning I figured at least one would survive to tell the tale.

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. It's hard to really call this one a win when, although they saved the world, all of the guest stars are dead!

Still, I want the Rutans to come back!

13. NCC-1701-B

The Kings Daemons, Part 2.

Pretty strange story so far, Wait, the Master has escaped, AGAIN? Never saw that one coming.

14. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw "Spearhead from Space" available on netflix. It was pretty dang good.

15. NCC-1701-B

The Five Doctors.

I really like this one, nice to see the his old selves arguing! Quite like the music in this episode too, nice and jarring, but not too much, helps to unsettle you and create the mood.

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Horror Of Fang Rock was based in part on the poem the Doctor quoted at the end of the story, The Ballard Of Flannan Isle. There were no survivors for whatever happened there too and no bodies for that matter.

17. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The Invisible Enemy (Fourth Doctor).

It's the tin dog! The idea of an intelligent virus is tried and true but I enjoyed Doctor Who's take on it despite the fact that in Macro-form it looks like a shrimp. Several of the blue screen sets were interesting when the Doctor and Leela's clones entered his brain. I also thought the choice to kill them both outright was interesting. I would have expected something long and drawn out. I'm not sure about the addition of K-9 to the crew, the so-called cute characters always slow a show down for me, but I've always heard good things from others.

The Sun Makers (Fourth Doctor).

An excellent story by Robert Holmes. There's something for everybody. The Doctor takes down both the evil corporation and the government bureaucracy. I laughed when the mob threw Gatherer Hade off the roof. There was no fight in him at all, just genuine surprise at the way he was being disposed of. I also laughed at how the mob was just laughing and celebrating after the deed. It was also a hoot that the Doctor up and left the workers in the middle of their revolution when only one Megropolis had fallen.

K-9 and Company: A Girl's Best Friend.

It was good to see the return of Sarah Jane. The story was well written but the actors seemed kind of bored with the material. There seemed to be no sense of tension despite the fact that people were missing and Brendan was due to be sacrificed. However had the series been picked up I think it would have been a welcome addition to the Doctor Who universe. Then again, The Sarah Jane Adventures was probably its modern equivalent.

The title sequence was a hoot. A bunch of random scenes of Sarah Jane, sitting with a paper, drinking wine and jogging, coupled with techno music and K-9 saying "K-9."

18. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I found out there is a Doctor Who fan club that meets about an hour away from here, and has been around for 4 years... I had no idea. Well, now I do. I went today and after we chatted and made introductions, the group watched the Seventh Doctor story Silver Nemesis. Always fun to see classic Cybermen.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spent the last couple of days watching The Claws of Axos (been busy, had to split that up and watch an episode per day). It was alright, but not one I'll call a favourite.

Also just finished watching The Ribos Operation this morning. Pretty good, looking forward to the rest of The Key to Time series.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The War Machines