Orci says ST series talk "getting real"

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RAMA, Jul 18, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm not against an animated series...some of the best SF on tv right now is animated.

If I had MY choice, I'd air the ST show on a niche cable network OR preferably as an original series on Netflix or Hulu, or a suitable studio alternative. Even a high profile webcast would be welcome...I watch all my tv streaming already so I could care less as long as the studio gave them a decent budget.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't decide whether Orci is a douche or Anthony Pascal is seriously annoying him with his questions.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Probably a little from column A and a little from column B. :techman:

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You and I would be a douche too if someone was seriously annoying you with questions.

5. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I would guess all the hot lesbian action will look best in the Anime style.

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

If they go the animated route i wonder how long the episodes will be.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If it's going to air on TV, they should be around 20 minutes long (plus 10 minutes of commercials and promos to fill out a 30 minute timeslot).

8. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Just look at the Star Wars animated model. It would also interduce new younger fans to Star Trek. Then you could sample from all versons ie. STNG, Enterprise, Voyager, STO.... Or story tie ins like the logs of DS9 would reveal info on this weeks story line.

9. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

How good animation, would you say near photo-realistic computer animation or do you want the hand drawn stuff? One advantage of animation is you don't need sets. I have for instance the Enterprise D boxed set blue prints, it has the floor plans for every deck. In an animated series, our characters could visit every part of this ship without having to build sets for it.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Animation style really doesn't matter to me as long as it has interesting characters and tells compelling sci-fi stories.

11. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Isn't it interesting that people say that computer animation is expensive when done with a live action show, but cheaper when done instead of a live action show?

Oh I do think animation style does matter, I don't want Star Trek Anime with characters that have big eyes and small mouths. I don't want jerky movement with cells for "open mouth" and "closed mouth" whenever a character talks. I don't want something like "Ed, Ed, and Eddie" and I don't want "Spongebob Squarepants" or "adventuretime" style cartoons either. I think Star Trek animation should be fairly realistic, it shouldn't be crudely drawn or herky jerky as often appears on the cartoon network. Something like the "Clone Wars" would be acceptible.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Squarepants is a winner. Sign me up.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

A lot of anime doesn't fit that description, especially the ones who aren't going for that "Disney-inspired" look.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I think the Batman/Superman animated movies in the past decade lend themselves well to this kind of thing as a potential model for a Trek series. They aren't super-realistic, but the frame rates are higher than most lower-budget cartoons and they've pretty consistently proven to be able to deliver adult-level quality stories. However, I don't think the Samurai Jack model should be used. While I love that series for what it was and the stories and art direction were amazing, I don't want to see such an over-stylized look for Trek.

15. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

I hope XII does well for the sake of the franchise's future but I don't want the trilogy of terror involved in a new series...which is the lesser of two evils?

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The lesser of the evils is that the next movie is a big success, CBS gets interested in doing a new TV series because of it, and they turn it over to a competent team, with anyone who was involved in the movie success getting first dibs, since no one else has any Star Trek related credibility now.

A series is not going to happen any other way, so its either that or nothng. Those who prefer nothing can refuse to watch the next series and lose nothing.

17. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

As long as Rick Berman and Brandon Braga are no where to be seen, I am happy with the idea of a new show. Its been awhile, and I miss it

18. NrobbieC

Huh? Later TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and TNG movies were Trek's prime.

19. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just seemed that the longer it went on, the more dreadful it all became, at least for me. Voyager is absolutely unwatchable to me now

20. NrobbieC

Shame. To each his own.