Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. TerilynnS

TerilynnS Ensign Newbie

Well, dipping my toes in again. It's been several years since my first attempt at coming here before being stung.

However, many others have asked me to come back and give this place another try - So I am.

Name's Terilynn - I'm a big fan of all Trek but mostly TNG. I'm also an avid reader of the books and co-host the G&T Show with Nick M on Sunday mornings.

Look forward to a more positive experience this time around!

2. tryan123

tryan123 Cadet Newbie

Ive been a closet Trek fan for years. Its apparently uncool to be black and to like Star Trek, so I never bring it up with any of my friends.

Cant wait to join in!

3. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello tryan123 - welcome to trekbbs :)

4. GlintingFish

GlintingFish Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone, I'm GlintingFish from Canada.
    I thought it was about time I joined in on some of the discussions going on in this forum instead of just lurking. :shifty:

I was introduced to trek by my dad as a young child (I remember TNG as being 'that cool show' that my mom made him turn off whenever I came in the room. I guess she thought it was too scary for a five-year old :lol:) today it is my favorite of the various series.

Recently my sister introduced me to Dr. Who which after an initial aversion has become quite an obsession for me. I also love sci-fi books, British comedy television,anything to do with the Muppets.

I'm looking forward to a great many sci-fi related discussions!

5. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the TBBS, GlintingFish.

6. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! It was the same for me in the late 90's/early 2000's (re-runs). :D
    I remember having nightmares about one episode. "The Game" I think. Worf also scared me.

7. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi! I'm GSnail, you can call me Ollie, Olli, Olly, or Snicklefritz. I came because of the caption contest. I've been lurking for almost a year and a half.
    I was a Voyager fan when I was really little, forgot about Trek for a while, then when the new movie came out, I got hooked on TOS.
    I like eggs.
    Oh yeah and PONIES!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. kirsten187

Hello new recruits to the mad house....oops, not meant to tell you that so soon :)

Welcome to trekbbs.

9. JayOwl

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  10. Carl West

Carl West Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, I'm new here.

I've mostly been a rabid Doctor Who fan for nearly 30 years now, but I'm currently taking an extended break from DW. Honestly, I've felt lately that my preoccupation with Doctor Who has become a bit psychologically "unhealthy" -- given that Trek is another big cult show, maybe some of you can relate to this.

Anyway, I recently watched all of TAS, and I am working through TOS now. I had seen numerous TOS episodes over the years, but several I have never seen. I may move on to TNG, DS9, etc., but I do love old television the most, so the later series (some scattered episodes of which I have seen) may not be as near and dear to me as TOS/TAS.

Anyhow, I wanted to say hello.

11. JayOwl

^That's a shame, there's a DW forum on the BBS. If you ever get back into it (Although maybe not as much 'into it' as you made out you were), it's there.

Anyways, welcome to the board. :)

12. Carl West

Carl West Ensign Red Shirt

LOL, thanks. It was more a matter of being seriously tired of Doctor Who and wanting to devote more attention to other interests. But I started to feel this ridiculous ANXIETY (unusually bad anxiety too) about not having DW in my life anymore. Luckily, I'm mostly over that now, and having an alternative thing like Star Trek helps.

I know, "it's just a TV show." But having something be a part of your life for 25+ years, and then deciding that you're tired of that something and don't particularly like it anymore -- it can just be a strange adjustment, let's say.

13. kirsten187

Hello, welcome to trekbbs :D

14. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been here a while. I got into Star Trek because of Star Wars. I saw Star Wars at 6 or 7 in the theaters. Then I saw Star Trek the Motion Picture. I kept being into Star Wars but kept remembering that other space movie that had a different and better feeling. Saw TWOK and liked it. It wasn't until the time between TWOK and TSFS that I put it all together and realized that it was based on a show. I really got into it between TSFS and TVH due to a friend who introduced me to a lof of Trek related stuff. He took me to see Jams Doohan when he came to a local college as a special speaker. I've been hooked since.

I really only like the the first three movies. There are many TOS episodes I love and a few TNG. The rest is okay and there are some highlights for me but the first three movies are what I really enjoy.

15. SabyLaForge

SabyLaForge Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone! I just joined today :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forums! So excited to have found this place

16. kirsten187

Welcome to trekbbs SabyLaForge :)

17. NickSD

NickSD Ensign Newbie

Hello all!

I just joined. I fell in love with Trek as a kid in the '80s, holding the rabbit ears TV antenna to watch TNG during its original run, then kept watching DS9, Voyager, etc.

To introduce myself, I'm 29, originally from the gulf coast, in Mobile, Alabama (it's a pretty big city two hours straight east of New Orleans) though I've lived in New York City since 2008. I've had a rare form of muscular dystrophy all my life, and I've lived on a ventilator for over 17 years now. Though I have a lot in common with Captain Pike in real life, I do all I can; I spend most of my time online and am a student and wanna-be sci-fi author.

I know it is a lot to take in, but I hope to make friends here, and get to know lots of fellow Trekkers here. :)

Nick

18. kirsten187

Hi NickSD :)

19. James R

James R Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi

I've just joined. I've been a fan of star trek for most of my life.

20. kirsten187

Hello James R. Do you have a preferred series of Star Trek?