CW Looking For "The Right Hero"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Aug 8, 2011.

1. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I just watched the Smallville episode "Icarus" and it accured to me, that Hawkman is a hero ripe for a sereis.

Quote from here

Given the trends of shows like Twilight, vampire in love with a mortal, Hawkman is a 2,000+ years old hero, who devotes his life to his one true love, knowing that it will break his heart.

It has all the romance quest of How I Met Your Mother with the tragic love story of the type teen girls like these days.

Also he has lived those 2,000+ years, he has seen it all, a man with a rich past to explore.

I am not saying Micheal Shanks should star, im quite happy to start it with Carter as college student, who has an experince remebers who he is and his quest for life, he drops out of his college course to study Egyptain history.

Im not explaining this very well, hope ive done enough.

Other characters inculde, well the woman who turns out to be Shayera in this life, his college professor, who can tell Carter more about him than he knows himself.

I would hit total reset, no Smallville connection what so ever, I dont see what it adds to this series, wiping the slate clean is the best way to go.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Wow, I never knew all that about Hawkman. How far back does that origin story go? (I read a few comics here and there in the 1970s)

Definitely sounds like it hits CW's "formula"

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Yeah...I would love a Hawkman series. :techman: WB was kicking around the idea for a movie...but a series would be better.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

last week there was a crappy new sitcom, "Friends with benefits", and the nerd chicle character is trying to explain his predicament with a comic book reference to his cool friend...

"It's unfair, lopsided, like a fight between Green Lantern and Hawkman."

"Who's Hawkman?"

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The FX required for a good Hawkman series are beyond the constraints of a live action TV budget.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

fair enought i dont know Hawkmans comic book history, however what ive seen on Smallville, I believe is the ground work for the kind of hero Smallville might like, and whoses fits a current trend.

Dont get me wrong, the show I suggest would be for The CW, in that it focus a bit more on him finding Shayera, but his life is so vast, that there is plenty of room for something else.

Advantage is Smallville has not over used him, like say Green Arrow, so its possible to reset without Smalville viewers being to annonyed.

Suggestions for characters welcome.

Im thinking the "experince" I mention when he gets a glimpse of his true life, could simply be him having sex with a woman he loves, and during that he gets flashes of his previous lives, his story is about love, so for those memorys to awaken during that activity is not unbelivable.

First series, is him finding out about his previous lives, and if the woman he is involved with is Shayera, I would say no she isnt.

As for his heroic side, well those wings are very big and you need to be careful redoing anything Smallville has already done, but yeah dont give him his wings till S2, maybe introduce a conspircy to keep him from Shayera, who have his wings. (not sure what the conspircy folks have to gain however) If there is a man who is reborn to love the same woman for thousands of years, its possible there is a reason for that, and if there is a reason someone may want to stop him, (like Tru had an opposite on Tru Calling)

The doomed romance as you know is, if he finds Shayera he is one step closer to losing her again.

further on the hero note, I would not inculde other DC heros, this is the story of Carter and Shayera not Hawkman and a justice leauge.

Feel free to pitch suggestions.

Smallville had the same problem, im developing a show for the CW, not for cable, and not so much for comic book geeks, for CW viewers.

Also for the comic book fans, I have a question.

In my idea Carter does not know his orgin or his destiny until he is older, is this true of the comic books, or does he know who he is in each new life? I am very much with going with whats been on Smallville, and what works better in a TV series.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That would work as a great basis for a television series, I'm not sure if Carter has always remembered his origin in each incarnation.

Also for those who keep bringing up the "CW Formula" one of the points in the article is that they are trying to get away from that sterotype that was something that the former head Dawn Ostroff promoted heavily under her tenure. This new guy seems to want to get away from.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ok if they are looking to move away from the CW standard fare, this series im sure can support any balance of that, the early series are as much him trying to find out about his life, as it would be finding Shayera.

Put in some "There is a legend of a Hawkman..." stories into the shows mythology, help sell that he has been on Earth for 2,000 years and had an impact.

Im still trying to work out what the world gets when Carter meets Shayer, that somebody else would want to stop.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think it is a great idea wamdue. :techman:

If they were going for a hero show with less FX or not being FX heavy...Green Arrow would be the way to go.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's both very old and very recent. It's the original 1940s origin/identity of Hawkman -- Carter Hall, an archaeologist reincarnated from the Egyptian prince Khufu. It was dropped when the character was revived in the '60s as Katar Hol, policeman from the planet Thanagar, although the original Hawkman was later reintroduced along with other Golden Age DC heroes (mainly the Justice Society to which the Golden Age Hawkman belonged) who were retconned into inhabitants of a parallel universe called "Earth Two." After Crisis on Infinite Earths collapsed all the universes together and rebooted the continuity, there were several attempts to revamp Hawkman's backstory, leading to his continuity becoming so complicated that DC pretty much gave up on the character. But he was relaunched in the late '90s as Carter Hall, a man who had been reincarnated not just once but dozens of times, along with Shiera/Hawkgirl. The Smallville version combines elements of the modern Carter Hall and the "Earth Two"/Justice Society Carter Hall.

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I would like to see what kind of show (or movie) Green Arrow could pull off, bu I think we may need to wait a few years until the character feels fresh againl.

Smallville has given the Green Arrow character some time in the spot light that it generally doesnt get, DC Comics should not waste that.

Maybe like Hawkeye he can cameo in a movie (say Green Lantern 2) before he spins-off in to a movie of his own and meets Black Canary etc That or when Batman is all done, just make Green Arrow Begins ;)

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

And the way they got around the problem was to ground Clark. The CW's budget levels would make a Hawkman series especially difficult given that good FX shots of someone flying with wings are even harder to pull off than shots of someone flying without them.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like all of these choices. I know little about Manhunter but from what little I know it could be an action series that could be a companion piece to Nikita.

Supergirl could be a Smallville spin off with more heroics and a flying hero. Vixen could perhaps tie into America's Top Model and use the fashion world as a backdrop and Zatanna could tap into the current interest in magic and the supernatural (Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural). All of these ideas reinforce existing CW shows and could conceivably replace some of them. Really good choices.

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

fair enough, I wonder if the new guy is willing to up the budget ;)

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget inflation.

Even if they up the budget, 2001 dollars went a lot further than 2011 dollars.

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

thankfully as this is only an internet forum, I only need to have the idea not cost it, and pitch it to a network.

I have at most 4 characters in mind for the show, and no villans. I am a long way to go before I start pitching to the network.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Please no. The last thing the world needs is Smallville to get a spinoff that goes on for ten more seasons.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had a chance to do a Supergirl spin off when they had Laura under contract but chose not to go that route if it even was in the cards at all. I've read about no pitches regarding any Smallville spin off series since the show ended or during it except the ones we know about (Blue Beetle).