*~Star Trek Books FAQ 2009 Edition~*

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Marie1, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

Re: *~Star Trek Books FAQ Latest Edition~*

thanks for the faq these are very helpful

2. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the info guys!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry about the list, I was going by the timeline on Memory Beta. But thanks for the corrections, I'll have to keep those placements in mind if I reread like I've been thinking about doing recently.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It marks the change from the Janeway "bun of steel" to her new shorter haircut.

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad it's proving useful... I'm almost done kidnapping all the authors so it will never have to updated again. Dayton Ward is eluding me... for now... :shifty:

Still haven't heard back from Margaret Clark re: Oblivion... I thought having the missing text online might be good for anyone who picks up that first ed. at a UBS...

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I ordered a copy of Oblivion online. Apparently, it's a first printing (with errors). *shrugs*

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quick question about post Destiny reading order. Should I read A Singular Destiny before I read Full Circle? I don't want to run into any Singular Destiny spoilers in FC.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think there are any ASD spoilers in FC. The post-Destiny portion of FC runs pretty much simultaneously with ASD; they're two separate series of events that don't really overlap. However, I do recall one minor FC spoiler in ASD, so if you're spoilerphobic you should probably read FC first.

9. Manisphere

Interesting. Didn't ASD come out months earlier though?

10. Christopher

^It came out earlier, but we all got to see each other's manuscripts and work in cross-references in the revision phase. ASD contains Easter-egg references to all three of the other post-Destiny novels, which serve as foreshadowing because it was the first one to come out.

11. Manisphere

Awesome. Thank you so much.:)

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i have a suggestion: update to include Star Trek XI/Countdown

Will the old TOS books now stop?
    Highly unlikely

Will the books tie into Countdown?
    Not certain. The novelists are not beholden to follow comic continuity any more than comics are to follow book continuity. But since the 24C novels that are furthest forward are currently in 2381, reaching 2387 may well take some time.

Will there be novels based on the film?
    Possibly, but as yet none are scheduled.

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Good call. A lot of people seem to be curious about that, and not just on this board.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Will there be more comics based on the film?
    Two mini-series from IDW Publications have been announced: one concerns Ambassador Spock back in the 23rd century and the other, "Nero", fills in details of Nero's 25 years, stuck in the past.

15. Christopher

^That's not quite accurate. Spock: Reflections is a prequel to Countdown set in the original timeline. It explores Spock's past, specifically his reasons for pursuing Vulcan/Romulan reunification and eventually relocating to Romulus. From the preview pages posted on TrekMovie.com, it apparently contains flashbacks to various periods in Spock's (original) past.

16. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

for the comics list

IDW Publishing
    -- TNG: The Space Between (Jan-Jun 2007, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS: Klingons: Blood Will Tell (Apr-Aug 2007, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS: IDW Focus On: Star Trek (Jul 2007)
    -- TOS: Year Four (Jul-Dec 2007, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS/TNG: Alien Spotlight (Sep 2007-Feb 2008, available in trade pb)
    -- TNG: Intelligence Gathering (Jan-May 2008, available in trade pb)
    -- NF: Turnaround (Mar-Jul 2008, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS: Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment (Apr-Aug 2008, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS: Assignment: Earth (May-Sep 2008, available in trade pb)
    -- TOS: Mirror Images (Jul-Nov 2008, available in trade pb, Mirror Universe tie-in)
    -- TOS: Romulans: The Hollow Crown (Sep-Oct 2008)
    -- TNG: The Last Generation (Nov 2008-Mar 2009, Myriad Universes tie-in)
    -- TOS/TNG: Countdown (Jan-Apr 2009, available in trade pb, Star Trek XI prequel)
    -- TOS: Crew (Mar-Jul 2009)
    -- TOS: Mission's End (Mar-Jul 2009)
    -- TOS/TNG: Alien Spotlight (Mar-Aug 2009)
    -- TOS: The Wrath of Kahn (Jun-Jul 2009)
    -- TOS: Spock: Reflections (Jul-Aug 2009)
    -- IDW is also publishing trade paperback reprints of DC, Marvel, and Malibu Star Trek comics

Tokyopop
    -- TOS: Shinsei Shinsei (Sep 2006, trade pb)
    -- TOS: Kakan ni Shinkou (Sep 2007, trade pb)
    -- TOS: Uchu (Jul 2008, trade pb)
    -- TNG: Boukenshin (Apr 2009, trade pb)
    -- Tokyopop also published a collection of stories from the three TOS books

Wired
    -- Star Trek: When Worlds Collide (May 2009, Star Trek XI prequel)

GIT Corporation
    -- Star Trek: The Complete Comic Book Collection on DVD-ROM, 1967-2005 (Sep 2008)
    -- Star Trek: Movie Comic Book Collection on CD-ROM (May 2009, subset of complete collection)

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity... why can Roberto Orci, who is going to write the next script for a Star Trek movie, visit and engage in discussions on Trekmovie.com, when there are so many story ideas for the next movie thrown out by the fans? Yet in this forum it is not allowed to discuss story ideas, because the writers who are active members here could get in trouble, or at least some copyright issues might arise.

Is there a difference between copyright for "proper" literature and movie scripts?

18. Christopher

I don't think copyright would have anything to do with it, since I don't think you can claim a legitimate copyright on an idea from a BBS post or blog comment. Any plagiarism suits that arose from such an incident would almost certainly be thrown out of court. The issue is that even frivolous lawsuits cost a lot of money to fight off. That could perhaps be a factor; screenwriters and producers make a lot more money than novelists. Still, Hollywood studios and production companies go to considerable lengths to guard against plagiarism suits, so I doubt someone like Orci would really expose himself to that kind of risk.

I haven't been following those comments and I'm not aware if there's really anything in them that constitutes a story idea per se. Something like "I want to see Khan" or "I want to see a followup on the Vulcan refugees" is not a story idea, because there's no plot there, no events or character arcs being described. It could just be that nothing in those posts has actually crossed the line into a story idea.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone ever made a jump from inofficial fan fiction to published tie-in fiction? Creating characters, writing (fan) fiction stories for fun, putting them online, creating a new story with those characters, pitched it to Pocket Books, and succeeded?

I might think that's possible for original literature, but not for tie-ins?

In other words would it be a bad idea to put a story, or excerpt of it, online, see reactions and criticism, and then submit it to a publisher for consideration?

The guidelines say:

But it doesn't clearly state that I can't properly submit something that was already online in some form.

And the submission guidelines are somehow irritating:

How can you tell a story about Picard, that is not set after Nemesis, when the novel series is already way past that time? Or are there still TNG novels being released that take place before Nemesis?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  20. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

^The submission guidelines are designed so that the editors can see you're capable of writing the central characters. They aren't intended to reflect the current novel timeframes and/or storylines.