The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not having read the comics, it seems pointless to compare them in some ways. Basically, both took the same premise and some similar characters...and then explored different scenarios with it. More "what if it went down this way" than better or worse per se.

It's like BSG and nuBSG. The entire premise was taken into a different, but similar, direction. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. Each is good or bad, and one may be preferred or more enjoyable than the other--and in that way may be considered to be "better."

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with propita. I'm interested in the narrative differences not as a matter of preference, but because the two "worlds" keep intersecting: so the plot of the show veers away from the books, but then a couple of characters get conflated (Herschel/Dale) or plots seem to reflect late stories from the books (does anyone else think Woodbury is starting to look more like Alexandria every day?). It's not quite Reed Richards arguing that any moment creates a new time-river; it is more like twin branches of the same river that keep coming together again.

3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe you should, it's neat to see how close they are and aren't.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the some of the changes in certain character's fates--rather, how certain negative events were shifted to supporting or minor characters, instead of what occured in the comics. TWD's producers want drama and shock, but after a time, it becomes a gimmick and sadistic--even in a horror series, when the leads are constantly abused/violated just to show how "gritty" the show can be.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been starting to wonder if TWD isn't a show that would work better if it followed the British system of only between 5 - 10 episodes a season. While, it hasn't been as bad as season 2, I'm starting to feel that some of the Woodbury stuff is starting to feel a little bit dragged out. I read a story a few days ago where one of the people involved was hinting the story might continue into season 4, and I am really hoping it won't. It's barely held my interest for once season, I'd really rather not see them drag it out for two.

6. TREK_GOD_1

With three episodes left in S3, i'm sure the producers will milk every scene of potential death, fighting and tragedy possible right up to the last frame of the season finale.

Many seem to think the governor plot will carry over into season 4, but that's just dragging out a plot that cannot believably continue--even for an audience already suspending disbelief about the central plot of zombies.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I don't really have any feeling for these show characters like I do for their comic counterparts. Outside of Rick, Carl, and Daryl every time a characters gets heavily developed, they die pretty quickly. It is hard to care about a show when the writers don't care about their characters (or aren't allowed/given the time to care).

It is also the reason why I'm not overly attached to Game of Thrones. It is a good show, but not one I feel the need to catch every week when new episodes premier.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I could see the Woodbury plot carrying over to Season 4, but not the Governor plot.

I liked the little bit of dialogue when the Governor mentioned that he was at work "taking shit from a boss half my age and with an IQ to match," and I think Rick has him pretty well sussed out.

As for Andrea, she is a frustrating character but from her conversation with Hershal I think she knows that she belongs with Rick's group. I think she still hopes that she can convince some of the Woodbury people to not go ahead with the attack, she seems to see herself as a peacekeeper.

Regarding character deaths, I don't actually want any of the prison lot to die. Beth is the obvious one to assume, but I'd like her to stick around. They seemed to be setting up a sort of love-triangle between her, Rick and Carl. But who knows what the producers are thinking. I'd like to see Merle stick around for a while longer as well just because it's fun to have an unstable element in the show.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeh, I can see that. But I'm too cheap to blow more money on comics when I have a wall of boxes of them in my basement.

I like Beth. She's not shown much and doesn't do much, but it's like she's this bubble of innocence in a way. Despite whatever issues she has had, there's a bit of purity about her. I think the others want to protect that, more than just because she's one of them, but because that light is rare in their world.

10. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the ratings are going through the roof, so apparently the fans don't agree with you.

I can see the Govenor storyline continuing to season 4 and ending in the season 4 premiere. I wouldn't be surprised if the battle didn't start until the end of the season 3 finale and we find out the Gov's fate (or some other main character's) in season 4. Gotta keep us anticipating and talking about the show in the off season.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Glenn and Maggie's frolic in the prison last week, I'm convinced that since they're happy (well, as happy as a couple can be in the zombie apocalypse) that one or both aren't going to survive the prison. Also, judging by Milton's awkward glance toward the Governor in the same episode, I'm thinking he's going to be the one to off Philip and possibly take Glenn's place in Rick's group.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Milton? take Glenn's place? nah. can't see it.

13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Milton is nothing like Glenn. Glenn can fight. Milton couldn't defend himself from a biter strapped to a bed.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I figured both Glenn and Maggie were safe to make it out of S2 alive, because they wern't a happy enough couple yet, but, I think that invulnernability is gone now. Still, I think Glenn serves a role in the show that there's no one to replace him with, so, I don't see him dying just yet, but, I could see TPB ripping Glenn's heart out by killing Maggie (Though I certainly don't want to see that). Truth be told, other then the Governor (I do think he's toast very soon) and Andrea (I think she'll live to either take over Woodbury or rejoin our group) there really isn't anyone main I want to lose. I would certainly trade killing Milton in order to keep another regular. Merle deserve to die, but, he's good for the show for drama, I believe.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

At first I thought this was one of those statements like, "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!" But it's literally true.

16. TREK_GOD_1

I hope that does not happen, only because as a plot point, its too similar to Lori dying and the effect it has on Rick. Rick & Glenn deeply love Lori and Maggie, respectively, so the only sensible response is Glenn taking the same dive into depression and anger. The series does not need more that so soon after Lori's death, piled on top of Rick still dealing with his pain / drepression.

Milton's death is not a trade-off for the producers, as he's not one of the "heroes," or a genuine, new member (as Herschel's family quickly became in S2). He's being set up as the toadie sitting on the fence, so no matter which direction he turns, he will likely pay the ultimate price in the near future.

TWD's producers love shock and tragedy, so as much as I do not want to see it, Beth, Carol and Judith seem to be walking around with targets on their backs. Hopefully, that theory is shattered by the last 3 episodes of the season.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think after the Day Trip with Michonne and Morgan, and the Camp Woodbury Talk with the Guv'ner, Rick has put Crazytown behind him. If they were to kill Maggie, I think they would do it at a time when the reaction from Glenn could be held off until next Season (IE: Next to last episode of Season, which no time to soak it in until next season or last episode). But, again, it's certainly not what I want to see happen

18. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I'm that far off from the general fan attitude. They still like the show & so do I. In fact, it's my favorite show on tv at the moment. That doesn't mean it's exempt from some valid criticism though. There's lots of accounts criticizing how some character arcs & plot lines are dragged out. That doesn't mean I dislike the show, just that I think it teeters on the edge of making poor decisions, which is true of almost any show

Sadly, if they were to produce the show that most of us really hope for, it would probably be too expensive to last

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to shows like this (heavily serialized drama), the key is to keep them proactive rather than simply reacting every week to outside forces. They need goals beyond the overall arc of surviving. Lost fell into this trap a few times, so did the new BSG. Your characters should be pushing the narrative, not being pushed around by it.

Probably why there was such a positive response to these last two episodes.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm inclined to think they'll keep Maggie and Glenn alive because they're the only couple on the show.

Does anyone think we'll see the cannibals at some point in the future?