what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, May 6, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I was disappointed by that too...enough to shout WTF in the theater (seriously, I did that).

Getting back though to the future of Marvel's movies, I have stated that I've love to see a "Doctor Strange" film starring Patrick Dempsey and a "Luke Cage" film starring Terry Crews! Zack Quinto as Namor for a "Sub-Mariner" film (although he's probably too busy with another franchise at the moment to do that lol)

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

RDJ would have made such a GREAT Doctor Strange. Too bad he is already Iron Man.:rommie:

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I too was hoping for Man-Wolf in Spiderman 3.

Avi needs to move on from Spidey like Braga needed to move on from Trek. Someone though hasn't realized it yet. The Vulture's apparent name recognition to those outside the SM world wasn't important. You can't tell me Doc Ock or Sandman filled that quota.

I say with Batman going into turnaround it's Marvels best chance to fill the void with Moon Knight. A dream, I know but still.

4. Admiral_Young

Avi just needs to move on period...he must have some kind of iron clad producing contract with Marvel though or have considerable influence.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I think one of the dots on the map at the end of Iron Man 2 corresponds to Namor.

6. Admiral_Young

^ Yes Atlantis was on the sit map screen at the end of the film.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It looked like it was too far south to be Atlantis, but it could have been Namor's solitary place.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Somebody on another board suggested Benedict Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange. Works for me!

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Machine Man should get a shot. Everyone is a sucker for the old I want to be human storyline. Oh and Stingray as well.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dye the top half of his hair black, so then, what about Burt Reynolds as Doctor Strange?

Few guys can pull off newworld sleazy, but Burt is old enough to get a pass on being old world sleazy.

11. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Certainly more popular than Vulture.

Not disagreeing with you. Avi frakked up by forcing Venom into the film, which my understanding of the original story was supposed to be a Sandman/Vulture teamup in addition to the Harry subplot.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Avi Arad's track record certainly isn't spotless, but he was instrumental in turning Marvel around and launching Marvel as a successful movie brand. People should remember that and not dismiss him as if his influence was all negative.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing with Avi/Sony though is that because SM3 still made scads of money, set an opening day record they were thus blinded to the creative missteps they caused with the film. That film could've been even bigger but WOM curbed it's OW record into the final looking just "good" instead of phenomenal.
    It was that ego that wanted to give us The Vultress. That ego that made them confident enough to tell Raimi he couldn't have an extra 6 months. That wanted to rush and do what they wanted. When what they wanted had already yielded creative fruit in SM3.

I'm very cautions about what these egos are giving us for Webb's reboot. I already don't like the hints of Peter being predestined to be Spider-man.

14. Admiral_Young

That's why I dislike Avi so much. His ego gets in the way of allowing the creative people do their jobs. I was excited for "Spider-Man 3" as anyone else, and especially excited to see Venom and Gwen...the movie was just very flawed because of the things that he forced upon Rami and Alvin Sargent and the rest of them did their best with what they were forced with, but ultimately it just fell apart and wasn't a very good finale to an otherwise excellent trilogy.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

So you're content to focus on the negative with Avi and ignore the good films he's been involved in and his central role in getting Marvel to its current position? That doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm entitled to my opinion. I acknowledge that Avi was responsible for helping to form Marvel Studios and help guide it to where it is now, along with the other successful films he has been a producer on, but I don't think it's unfair to issue criticism when it's warranted either. The fact is we don't know the extent of his influence on those other films. We know about "Spider-Man 3" because it's been reported and documented over the years regarding what happened. We also know that he seems to really like Venom :)

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Of course. Just as others are entitled to take issue with it.
    Criticism on particular issues is perfectly valid. I share some of them. It's just a blanket dismissal of him and his efforts that I disagree with.
    We don't know the exact influence of any number of execs and producers on the films they were involved in, but taking one widely reported instance where someone's influence was negative and elevating it to be emblematic of their influence across the board is problematic, just as it's problematic to pin all the blame on one person. Avi was hardly alone in pushing Venom on Raimi. Bear in mind that Avi wasn't the producer who ultimately called the shots on those films.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. It's worth remembering that, before Avi took matters in hand, Marvel couldn't get a decent movie made if their lives depended on it. James Cameron's Spider-Man got tied up in litigation. Captain America went straight to video. And have we forgotten the Roger Corman FF, David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, Howard the Duck and that godforsaken Generation X tv-movie?

Somebody had to get Marvel's movie house in order. From what I understand, Avi got real movies made at real studios, with a pretty good track record of success . . ..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

We're trying to, but people keep reminding us of them! :p

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I actually like the Corman FF better than the big-budget train-wrecks that we got. And the Hoff's Nick Fury movie wasn't that bad. Wasn't that good either, but there you are.