Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:rofl:

You are my hero for the day.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. substituting Buffy character names for Marvel heroes is not very original..

Anyway.. during his TV years it became apparent that Joss liked some shock moments but used them too much. With Buffy it was original.. Tara's death, the break up of happy couples but when he repeated the same thing with Angel it became somewhat annoying and predictable (though Wesley/Fred was done very well and was really heartbreaking).

I have no doubt that if Firefly had a normal run one of the couples (i guess Simon and Kaylee would have gotten together, maybe even Mal and Inara) would have been torn apart pretty brutally as has happened in Serenity (which was a Free for All since it was the end of Firefly in movie/TV form).

It's one of the very few beefs i have with Joss.. he re-used too many shticks for them be original and unpredictable but i didn't see any of these except for the one shocking death of a beloved character (i guess he can't shake his style completely).
    Joss needs to expand his range of writing because it just isn't good writing when the audience just waits for the inevitable death and just knows that the happy couple onscreen won't make it.

Other than that he really is perfect for these kinds of movies.. he strikes the perfect balance between drama, action, humor and suspense and i dare say few would have delivered an equally good Avengers movie.

Despite his flaws i am so looking forward to Avengers 2.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well keep in mind, he's playing in the Marvel sandbox with characters he doesn't really 'own'. Unless he brings some new ones that he personally created in one of his own runs writing for Marvel, then he can't really dick around too much with the way the tentpole characters are written. Now that said, I do forsee Avengers being a bit darker - simply because of what we already know about Iron Man 3 where Tony really just 'into' the whole super hero thing and the others sort of are hesitant to come back, so maybe I can see the first act or so being incredibly dark and depressing. But then it picks up toward the 2nd and 3rd act and hits the right 'fun' 'quirky' Whedon-esque notes.

I would really love to see more of Cap struggling with 21st Century life. I mean let's be honest, things aren't THAT different between how Cap was in the 40s to how he was in 2012, I mean he was still in a military setting with SHIELD, he was still fighting a war against powerfully armed bad guys. He was still part of a unit. Not much was really all that different. Sure there was more tech, sure there's a different 'feel' to things, but I'd like to see him, having had months (or even a couple of years) to get used to 21st Century life and see him sort of struggle with it. I mean would Captain America carry a cell phone? Would he play video games - lol be a hoot to see him playing Call of Duty and bitching all the while. 'Oh that's not how it was like AT ALL. Those lugers have far less range than that.'

I COULD see Hawkeye maybe changing personality-wise. I would love to see him be more like the Hawkeye from the comics, a bit arrogant, jerky, snarky and kind of funny. Maybe as a mask to hide his PTSD.

I COULD see Bruce still struggling with the Hulk side of things - sure he's got some measure of control, but Hulk is still a challenge to control when he's Hulked out. I mean everyone forgets that he DID smash up the SHIELD helicarrier and stalked Black Widow through the ship, fully intending to 'smash' her. So Bruce is far from having complete control of the Hulk. Sure in the last act, it seemed like that finally happened. But its tenuous at best. Sure he can control the transformation, but it's getting the Hulk himself to behave that's the trick.

Tony will be Tony - he'll go between being this great, fun guy to a total douchenozzle and back again. It's his 'thing'.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It probably will. The infrastructure needed to have a higher resolution than HD will take years to develop and implement, if there's even a will for it. The next thing you'll see studios pushing is Blu-Ray 3D, but I just don't see people seriously adopting it. I only have three titles in the format -- one came with the player, and the other two were gifts (that also have the 2D version of the movie).

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Went shopping today and there's a whole shitload of films on bluray 3D.

And since I own a PS3 and 3D blu rays can be watched on 2D screens as well, I'm going to buy 3D blurays of 3D films in the future, even though I don't have a 3D TV yet.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I have a 3D tv which will play 3D blu-rays (obviously) but will also adjust to allow you to watch in 3D movies which weren't actually made in that format. Obviously, the quality isn't as good as it is with movies designed to be watched that way - the tv's just running an algorithm to deceive your eyes.

The best picture tends to be on animated movies (I have 2 kids) - Despicable Me looks amazing.

7. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah animated stuff looks awesome in 3D (or even a good 1080p) I've got a 1080p monitor and when I watch some animated shows it looks just amazing and I totally agree about Despicable Me. I was watching it in a Best Buy a while back in 3d and wow, that's just a treat. I think animated 3D converts much more easily since it's already sorta 3D from the get-go, just a matter of converting the depth field. And Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D omgsh... that's awesome.

Live action stuff really doesn't do it as well, unless it's something heavily CGI to begin with. Now Star Wars Episode 1 in 3D it seemed to add more 'depth' like you were going 'inside' of it more than it coming 'out' at you. Like in the pod race scenes, it felt like you were seeing the stuff in the distance as it would be if you were actually in it. So that was pretty cool. Or even some of the laser blasts. But since it wasn't designed for it, that's about all you can do.

Now I saw Thor and Captain America and the Avengers in 3D and honestly the only one I felt really kind of used the 3D as I expected it was Captain America. Avengers had a bit too much action to really enjoy the 3D imagery. Thor was alright in 3D but didn't super-impress me honestly. I watched it enough times in 2D at home to realize that other than a few times where the 3D added more depth, it's no more than using an IMAX camera added to the realism. Like say in Dark Knight, it almost felt 3d even on a 2d CRT TV which was pretty interesting.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the "window into the scene" effect that you get from Avatar and Prometheus. That's how it should be, and that's how it's going to be in the majority in the future. That "coming right at you" stuff is just the gimmick, just like they overuse color filters or exaggerate sounds or use shaky cam or something.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I can't stand 3D. I hope this fad dies soon. :p

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Blastr, Joss Whedon has started hinting that he might bring Wasp into the MCU in Avengers 2.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Let the Wasp casting rumors begin!:rommie:

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Hoo-Rah!
    :)

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So she won't be part of the Ant-Man movie?
    Kinda sounds odd at face value.
    Does it not?

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, the tendency for people in positions of power to be huge greedheads isn't dying anytime soon.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My tendency to not give a shit on 3D or pay more for it will not be changing soon either.:klingon:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was my first thought too. Maybe they'll go the Hawkeye route and introduce in a smaller role in Ant-Man and then develop her more in A2. It does seem weird that they wouldn't include in Ant-Man in some form, but then include her in A2.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't think Ant-Man is strong enough as a character to have his own movie, at least not without Wasp with him.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I do believe taking Wasp out of the Ant-Man movie would indeed lessen the film in some way. She's been there from nearly the beginning. Plus, not to sound cliche, if she's not the female lead and love interest whose going to fill that roll? Hank needs Jan for balance in many respects.

I think she'll end up in the Ant-Man movie. This is perhaps a misunderstanding of Whedon's intent for her with TA2

19. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Will the Ant-Man flick be out before Avengers 2? If so, maybe they'll sorta do what the Avengers cartoon did and have Jan on the team while Hank isn't interested and sticks to the lab.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

According to the current schedule, Ant-man will be released before Avengers 2. Many people think Ant-man will be in the Avengers sequel.