Halloween III: Season of The Witch (1982).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EmmanuelZorg, Aug 27, 2009.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I liked this movie; it was creepy and Stacy Nelkin was quite sexy. I wish they had continued with the anthology format. I've never cared too much for Michael Myers/Jason Voorhees-type movies.

2. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a little surprised that one of the later movies, which involved a cult in Michael's origin and unkillable nature, didn't backhandedly ref this film, as in the children's deaths were part of some revival scheme for Michael.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ You know that's a good point. In a way though it was somewhat referenced in The Curse of Michael Myers. In Halloween 3 a character is mentioned named Minnie Blankenship, Mrs. Blankenship later babysits Danny.

4. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, although, maybe one of the veteran crew has that name, and it just got thrown in a couple of times.

I see the villain's scheme the same way I see Rorschach's Journal. Its meant to accomplish a wide goal (informing the world, 'restoring' Halloween) but is more likely than not to become(in that fictional world) just another story of Halloween, just as the journal will become the stuff of conspiracy nuts. People in the H3 world will talk with one another (No, these kids really died that way!) but some will say 'I heard they all got severe encephalitis from bad water'.

At least in this one, the villain was mortal. Unkillable killers need not be clever, which causes their writers to follow suit, at least IMHO.

5. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Supposedly in H20, Kevin Williamson wanted to have Halloween III playing on the tv in the girls dorm. A kind of wink to the scenes in Season of the Witch where the original Halloween is playing on television throughout the film. For some reason they used Scream 2 footage instead.

6. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

64 days 'til Halloween, Halloween. 64 days 'til Halloween, Silver Shamrock.

7. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Arrgh, now it's in my head! :p

I'd heard they originally wanted to show a scene from So I Married An Axe Murderer (which of course starred Mike Myers) on the TV, just as a little joke.

As for why Season of the Witch wasn't mentioned in The Curse of Michael Myers, as VR said, the original Halloween was shown on TV throughout SOTW, which would seem to indicate that it's not set in the same universe as the other Halloween films.

Of course, H20 and Resurrection clearly aren't set in the same universe as films 4-6, so who the hell knows, really? :lol:

8. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The movie should have been just called season of the witch. You have too many people expecting Michael Myers.

9. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This film is being shown on the Space channel right now... it does have a certain 80s B-movie charm. And I gotta admit, the final scene is effectively freaky -- I kind of wonder what happened in the aftermath (presuming that Cochran's plan came to fruition, as the ending seems to indicate it does).

Incidentally, there's a completely unrelated movie coming out next year called Season of the Witch -- I say we boycott it for daring to use that title! Who's with me? ;)

I find it more than a little interesting that we're here talking about this mostly-forgotten pseudo-sequel from 1982 when there's a brand new Halloween movie out today. I haven't seen a thread on that one... I guess nobody's that interested. I may go see it in a couple of months -- when it's actually close to Halloween! That's provided I can find it playing somewhere by then, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think I'll be more in the mood to watch it in October, personally.

10. EmmanuelZorg

EmmanuelZorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What do you think of Rob Zombie's Halloween movies?

Anyone thinks this movie had a Cronenberg and Lovecraft feel?