So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Sorry to hear that, indianatrekker. :( One way I avoid the fatigue is to alternate series. A little trick I picked up last year and its really kept my enthusiasm for reading Treklit alive.

So, when I was reading the A Time to... series, I balance it out by reading Vanguard and a couple of TOS novels. Now, reading TNG Relaunch, Titan and VOY relaunch I've been balancing it out with reading more TOS novels between each volume. After Greater than the Sum, I picked up Star Trek Log One, then unto Gods of Night, and then next I'll either pick up Log Two, Rihannsu: Swordhunt or That Which Divides I haven't decided yet.

Try it, it works really well. :)

2. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished The Confession by John Grisham.

Now reading an older book by the same author: The Partner.

Will be getting into Forgotten History after that.

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, really is working. I was struggling through Reunion. Wrapped it up, and when i jumped to TOS Black Fire, i found it to be invigorating. So i might do TOS , TNG, TOS, etc etc.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - odd mix. It's extremely slow and boring to start - the first 150 pages are a slog - then is totally un-put-downable from pages 200(ish) to 415, and then the last hundred pages are unnecessarily dragged-out and very bitty, as the plot that the reader actually gives a monkey's about it is already finished, and all the company/corporate stuff is just... dull.

I suspect the film versions must improve on that, so I'll probably like them even more.

I did enjoy it, though, even though I figured out what happened pretty much from the get-go simply because it was the only logical thing, but I do hope the sequels are better paced, and are more like the pages 150-420 of this. If so, I'll love them.

ETA- Hm, not sure what I'm in the mood for next...

5. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night I finished Doctor Who And The Daleks by David Whitaker, the very first DW novelization from back in 1964. BBC Books has started to reprint some of the Target books so fans like me who weren't alive in the 70s can read them (though I've found a local used bookstore that has lots of them). I enjoyed this one a lot, probably even more so because of the many differences from the actual serial. It was only the second story of the show, so Whitaker takes the opportunity to pretend that the first one never happened and has Ian and Barbara meeting the Doctor and Susan in this book--only it's completely different. The other major change is that the book is narrated entirely by Ian, so scenes without him in the show aren't in the book, especially towards the end when the characters split up. The general plot of The Daleks is unaltered, but the novel ends up being a somewhat different experience, which isn't really a bad thing considering how many times I've watched the story on DVD.

Continuing on with DW Target books, I'm starting The Edge of Destruction today. And while I'm still reading A Clash of Kings, it's getting slightly tedious, which may be entirely due to my recent DW craze. I'm not going to put it down, but I am taking it slower.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The novelization of The Edge of Destruction is a good one. The author needed to add a lot of original material to flesh out a 2-parter to novel length, and it expands nicely on the story.

7. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worlds of DS9 - vol 3

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any of you guys read the Iron Druid Chronicles series? I'm very curious to check out the series since it's urban fantasy set in my home region, Arizona.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is another book added to my reading list; another, out of three, I have to read for this particular week.

Of course, procrastinating/killing time on Trektoday isn't helping me with that reading...

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Finished Day of the Vipers (which I found much more enjoyable this time around), and continuing through the Trek books I already own before starting my eventual read-through of everything else.

Now I'm reading Avatar, Book One by S.D. Perry. I actually have the Twist of Faith omnibus, so I'm going to be reading for quite a while. :p

11. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want to risk spoiling you, but FWIW, the sequels have a somewhat different feel to them. The first book plays a bit more like a typical mystery procedural, with our heroes getting involved in a murder case; the second and third books have elements of that as well, but are overall more concerned with the main character's own affairs and backgrounds (though those lead into a plot of significant scale). They're also essentially a two-parter.

I'd say it's worth checking them out just to get a feel for how different they are from the first book. I'm not sure they completely succeed overall, but they're definitely more ambitious, and do have a fair share of colorful scenes.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

^ I've had the whole trilogy for a while, so I'll read the other two at some point. Not sure what I'm in the mood for next - tried to start Coming Of The Terraphiles and couldn't get into it, which means I'm probably in the mood for something non-SF/F still...

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished the fifthth ST:TOS Mere Anarchy novella, The Blood-Dimmed Tide last night. I really enjoyed this one, it was pretty much a stop the bad guy with the super weapon story, but I thought it was very well written. The bad guy was very interesting, and the characterizations for the regulars was outstanding. My Rating: 9/10

14. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished reading "Resistance" by J. M. Dillard and am now just over halfway through "Taking Wing" (Titan 01) by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels. I guess I may have to settle for oftentimes reading books out of order of the chronology. It allows for interesting inferences of meaning beyond the merely chronological.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading Q&A, next I'll be reading Forgotten History.

16. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction yesterday and today I'm on Doctor Who And The Crusaders. And to cap it off the audiobook I ordered of The Daleks' Master Plan (both parts) arrived in the mail today.

I'm thinking of picking up the recent Eleventh Doctor novel The Silent Stars Go By. Has anyone here read it? It sounds like it's worth a purchase.

EDIT: Actually, I'm worried I might suffer DW burnout if I go on like this, so I think I'm going to space out my reading a little bit more and start The Crusaders later. I have some comics I picked up from the library so I can check out some of them in the meantime.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just finished Reefer Madness by Eric Schlosser, moving on to The Wal-Mart Effect.

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Worlds of DS9: Andor: Paradigm last night. Enjoyed it, but something about it felt off until the very end. Perhaps too much padding up front in the story? Not sure.

Now I'm onto to A Time to Sow, which started out pretty well. Wasn't expecting an Enterprise flashback! Though I will say, I've noticed an overabundance of characters tightening their jaws in only 70 pages!

19. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just picked up the Dominon War anthology from the library. I'm mainly interested in the Shinzon and Zak Kebron stories. I probably won't read every story.

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Supernatural: Night Terror last night. I really enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down.
    The basic plot of the story is that people's nightmares are coming to life and killing other people, and the brothers have to figure out what's causing it and how to stop it. There's everything from a car with no driver running people down, to a giant spider, to velociraptors, and even Nazi zombies! That may sound fanwanky, but it's done very well.
    I think this is the best Supernatural novel since Titan Books got the publishing license, narrowly beating KRAD's Heart of the Dragon, and Christa Faust's Coyote's Kiss. I liked the author's style a lot better than those that wrote The Unholy Cause, War of the Sons, and especially One Year Gone. I'm not sure if I like it as much as the first three Supernatural novels published by Harper Collins, Nevermore by KRAD, Witch's Canyon by Jeff Mariotte, and Bone Key by KRAD (anything he write's is good), but it's very close. I was somewhat worried about the quality of Supernatural novels when the three after Heart of the Dragon weren't very good. But then Coyote's Kiss was better, and Night Terror is great, so I'm looking forward to any future novels and hoping they're as good as if not better than Night Terror.
    That was a little longer than I intended, but if you're a fan of the series, definitely check this novel out, it's a great read.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven.