The Beaver

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO-GUvznnZg[/yt]

Is it me or does this movie look like it's going to be six-shades of horrible?

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I was thinking more along the lines of 12 shades of suckitude.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I saw a trailer for that today. It's either going to be brilliant or laughably terrible, and I'm not hopeful for the former.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this preview while at the movies with my dad the other day and we both looked at each other and just laughed. I definitely won't be seeing this one.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

When I saw the title, I thought maybe there was a new movie based on the old Leave It To Beaver sitcom.

My initial reaction was, “OMG, is this for real? If that weren’t Mel Gibson on the screen, I would have thought it was a parody trailer. This picture has got to suck major elephant dick.”

But a few people on IMDb liked it, FWIW. Although the tone of the trailer suggests a comedy, they say it’s really more of an offbeat drama with dark humor. So . . . what are the critics saying?

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's an aggressively odd premise. It's either going to be brilliant or really, really bad. With so many talented people involved (including Jodie Foster trying her hand at directing), you hope for the former.

7. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I actually hope this film does well, and that it somewhat revives Gibson's career, but only for Jodie Foster's sake. She's stood by Mel's side throughout his many problems, and that kind of dedication in the face of adversity is a rare thing these days, particularly in Hollywood. Such qualities of character should be rewarded. And, contrary to Captain Canada, she's not trying her hand at directing at all, but is already an acclaimed and gifted director ("Home for the Holidays", & "Little Man Tate"), whom I hope gets the opportunity to direct more in the future. If "The Beaver" tanks, she may not get that chance.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

9. Trekker4747

I dunno, when I saw the trailer for this movie I couldn't help but be reminded of the fake-trailers that ran before "Tropic Thunder" and that this is what would play for Mel Gibson.

It struck me as "Light-hearted movie an actor does to try and win back the audience's good-graces after imploding in his personal life." This is Mel Gibson's "Simple Jack."

I'm not sure what's supposed to be heart-warming or up-lifting about this movie? That Gibson's character went from being clinically depressed to being insane? Look, if you're talking through and to a hand-puppet as if it were a real thing then you're not on the road to being a better person you're on the road to being pumped full of anti-psychotics while sitting in a padded room blubbering your lips.

Is him doing voices/another prersona through the puppet suposed to be charming or funny? Because I find it to be neither. I saw this trailer the other day when I went to see "The Source Code" and afterwards I was just like: :wtf:

I showed it to a buddy of mine this evening and he had pretty much the same reaction. I'm not sure how this little movie is going to make people forget how insane Gibson's acted the last few years including his anti-semitic remarks.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm willing to see it. I think I might like it. The memory of Mel Gibson's past work and my admiration of Jodie Foster will bring me to see this movie. I hope it works.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFOLctDNAgU[/yt]
    This looks like it will be far superior.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As do I, although Gibson being the lead probably means it's DOA. And although it has been some time since she's done so, Foster has directed before. Her 1991 film, Little Man Tate, is quite good, as I recall.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I understand critics who have seen this film think it's very good - however that trailer makes it look like it sucks major donkey's balls.

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

wow....Mel Gibson looks really dried out, like two drops of water short of organ failure dehydration dried out

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The critical buzz on the film is actually quite positive, but I can't look at the trailer without thinking of College Humor's remix trailer that redubs the trailer with his meltdown tape.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wanted to see this ever since I first heard about it. The concept seemed pretty funny. Watching the trailer for the first time though, it doesn't seem to have the offbeat humor I thought it would.

And about Mel Gibson... He's looking more and more like Henry Fonda these days...

[​IMG]

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The distributor has actually moved up/widened the film's distribution recently, after audience polling told them that Gibson's presence seemingly wasn't a drag on the film's prospects, surprisingly enough.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Surprisingly? Most normal people simply don't give a fuck about behind the scenes/yellow press bullshittery and are simply able to enjoy a movie.

I feel sorry for those people who can't leave their political and personal grudges behind when they watch a movie. It's always about "oh now that I know the actor/director/writer is a loser I can't stand his movies anymore" or "this leftwing/rightwing propaganda ruined the movie for me". Well, it's really only your loss, because if it's good, it will be successful regardless.

19. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I know what you mean.

I enjoyed Triumph of the Will so much more, once I got past the whole "Nazi" thing.

It's just a movie, folks.

On the OT--like other people, I've noticed that The Beaver is getting pretty positive reviews. I'll probably go see it, if it opens here, and there's nothing better playing.

20. Trekker4747

There's a difference between just normal all rants and "hate" coming out of an actor and then there's Gibson out-right bile.