TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the latest series of "SMH" moments from some people in fandom, someone by the name of Joseph Dickerson used TrekMovie.com as a medium to post up their thoughts as to why "Star Trek is broken." It is actually pretty sad that Anthony has abandoned the site to allow lesser quality posts like this go through and come off as "representing" what used to be a respectable news site.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/09/01/star-trek-is-broken-here-are-ideas-on-how-to-fix-it/#comment-5162026

If you were to read the article, this guy would have you believe that the highest rated blockbuster of the summer and highest grossing film of the franchise is a sign that Star Trek is "no longer popular" and "needs fixing," and the article is based on the Las Vegas "poll."

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The question to be asked is: Do all the articles on the site present that same editorial slant, or do they publish articles on both sides of the issue? There's nothing wrong with giving a voice to someone who has an opinion, as long as you offer the same opportunity to all voices. It's only a problem if a news source adopts a uniform editorial slant and insists that every article or commentary agree with it.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek was already broken. Despite popular belief, Abrams didn't fix a damn thing in 2009, he just made the unwashed masses take notice of that movie. They got bored waiting for a sequel.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, his opinions are his and are not representative of the editorial position of TrekMovie as a whole. Joe Dickerson does write other pieces, but has been referred to on several occasions as their "op-ed guy".

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But few of his opinions are backed by facts of any kind.

So his article reads more like a wish list than an honest critique of where the franchise is at.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't see the problem either way. He presented an opinion on a fan site. I think Orci came across a lot worse (via his words in the comments section) than Dickerson did. Calling people "shitty fans" and telling them to f*** off? Really classy guy, that one.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bob Orci is kind of an asshole.

8. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"kind of"? For awhile now, after seeing enough interviews with him, I don't think there's any "kind of" about it.

9. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

The movie has a high summer movie rating, is the highest grossing Trek movie of all time, has made more money overseas than any other Trek movie, and the poll he references is in no way an unbiased representation of Trek's fan base.

Opinion is one thing. This "article" has no basis in reality.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Bob, Bob, Bob, never wade into the fansites. You're not "one of us" and you'll always be on the losing of a 'net fight. Not saying he's wrong or that he couldn't have been more tactful. I'm not going to hang him for saying what a lot of us have said in the past but doesn't make it a good ideal for him to "slum it". Trek fans are a breed apart at times.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It doesn't need to...it's an editorial.

12. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I used to really like trekmovie, but has waned in recent years. There are often long periods of time with no updates. They used to do science Saturday and discuss non- trek movies. There used to be a lot of interesting content to keep you interested until Trek news popped up, but it has gone down hill. That's not so say that I agree with the guy about STID, though I do think that JJ Trek has its issues.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek has "needed fixing" since they released TMP.

"This one's too boring."
    "This one's too violent."
    "This one's too mystical."
    "This one's too preachy."
    "This one's too cheesy."
    "This one's too racist."
    "This one sucks ass."
    "This one ruined the Borg."
    "This one is.. I kind of forget what was supposed to be wrong with Insurrection."
    "This one is depressing."
    "This one could have used a little more intellectual meat."
    "This one could have used a more original story."(?)

14. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Insurrection was just a one-hour episode stretched into a two-hour movie with yuppies. :cool:

~FS

15. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Uh... no. Into Darkness is not the highest grossing film of the franchise. Star Trek 2009 is (At least domestically.)

Though Into Darkness certainly wasn't any kind of flop, it certainly didn't do as well as it was expected to. And when compared to ST2009, STiD cost more to make, it was shown on more IMAX screens, and was in 3D resulting in the more expensive 3D tickets being sold. It still did worse than Star Trek 2009 did. Especially in this day and age where sequels are supposed to out perform their predecessors, then it is imposable to deny that Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't quite what Paramount was hoping for.

Then again every big budget movie this summer did worse than was expected. Except, Iron Man 3 which did about as well as was expected.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't say it was in the U.S. Believe it or not, it's not "The U.S. or nothing." So yes, highest grossing film.

17. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

I was also quite surprised/aghast at Mr. Orci's behavior towards the fan comments on the site. Has it been proved that that was indeed him writing and not an imposter?

Even before the 2009 film, I was surprised he spent so much time engaging with/listening to the fans. I'd always thought that that was a bad idea - and that professionals and fans should keep a respectful distance but he seemed determined to blur that line.

I knew this would end badly...

18. HaplessCrewman

But it's probably not the most profitable - considering the heavy promotional costs Paramount spent this time around promoting the film overseas. If Into Darkness was a bona-fide home-run, we would have heard news of the third film being green-lit by now.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well he's made himself the story, if nothing else.

20. HaplessCrewman

There's a certain type of fan that has a possessive attitude towards Trek. They have a sense of entitlement and when the screenwriter engages them on an equal level, I think it's bad for both parties.

In a recent interview, Connor Trinneer actually had a really perceptive view on fans and how to treat them. He reasoned out their motivations and desires and adjusted his behavior toward them so that his encounters with them were beneficial to both. (Sorry if this is off topic!)

Shame about Mr. Orci!