if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annika Hansen of course.

2. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

Then there ya go...

Mr. and Mrs Fred and Annika Chakotay

Although as i said and edited. a previous message to this.

Chakotay, if his name is FRED, that is Sooo uh... GAY...

Chakotay could have had a cooler name than just FRED for an Native American name...

Dakota Chakotay, Cheveyo Chakotay, even Cheyenne Chakotay... Something like that. Sounds more native american than FRED! :bolian:

Wants to know what the hell the writers were thinking!

Nathaniel

3. Captain Gandalf

Captain Gandalf Commodore Commodore

Or maybe a name that rhymes with Chakotay and Seven, like :
    Jay Chakotay and Seven Eleven.

4. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

I think I understand quite well. English comes easy to me now, but I'm actually Danish. ;)

*huggles*

5. Guy Gardener

You know how kids with weird names are teased. Mercilessly. Obviously "Fred" was just something Rob made-up to amuse the fan-inquisition at conventions who kept asking the same damn questions year after year... So, if his name had been "Fred" or something equally Angelic (That can't be right?) and he was raised with the children of the tribe who had much more "normal" and "traditional" native American names, so of course he had come to the habit of not telling people his Christian name to avoid a kicking.

6. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, that's exactly what I meant.

7. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

kimc was correct. Like her, I've never heard the word used in any other way than #1.

So, no insult was intended.

8. Captain Gandalf

Captain Gandalf Commodore Commodore

Well, that's good to hear. I prefer getting along with people.:)

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Okay, for those of you who are relatively new we do have a rule against personal insults that we call flaming. Please try to resolve any personal conflicts via pm. If you feel that a poster has insulted you then by all means hit the notify button and let a mod deal with it. Another option is to put a poster on "Ignore".

Thanks. :)

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I think Fred is an awesome name. Fred Astaire, Fred Weasley, Fred Flintstone, etc.

However, this seems to be a thread less about names and more about words so I have an idea. We all come from a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, jam preferences, etc. If somone says a word like "yanno" or "gay" or "pickles" and you're not sure if the intent is to be insulting or not why not a simple "What did you mean by that?" It could be they meant nothing by it and if it turns out they did then we can go from there.

Now back to my Saturday afternoon nap. :)

11. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

I apologize. I didn't mean it as a flame. I considered my words carefully in order to avoid that, but I knew that it would be borderline as it's always hard to say something like this.

12. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Well after reading this thread, I think I will agree with most of the fan fiction I read, when Chakotay gets married and if his children need last names then theirs would be Janeway.

Brit

13. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Chakotay himself apparently has a real name:
    Amal Cortey (or something like that).
    It was mentioned in S7 'Workforce' episode when he tried to jog Janeway's memory.
    Of course he could have made it up in an attempt to hide his identity from those who might have been listening, but at the same time, he mentioned it after realizing she didn't know what the name 'Chakotay' signifies.

I guess Chakotay is his tribal name and became commonly used because SF had his real name on file but opted to respect his background.

14. Guy Gardener

Undercover subversive insurgent.

15. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Guy have you been over at the Voyager transcripts site? LOL

Brit

16. Guy Gardener

After enough people here call you crazy and full of it and irrational and unbalanced, it helps.

The last 5 times there has been an equinox argument I've found myself putting the old vhs tv recording into the rundown machine to find the evidence necessary to prove who was the psychotic tyrant and who was just trying to make it one day at a time.

It's exhausting.

17. belle paris

belle paris Lieutenant Red Shirt

In "Workforce", it was explained that Chakotay would have to go undercover (new name/face) because the authorities had already spoken to him and would've recognized him.

18. NathanielM

I didn't mean to seem like a Bigot... I am not one at all.

Also keep in mind those names, Fred Astair, Fred Flintstone... etc... are ALL caucasian (WHITE People) NOT Native Americans.

Chakotay is Native American... One thing to know, they are very very proud people... A VERY traditional culture and people... I live in AZ, nd there are many Native Americans in the culture down here in the SW.
    if you would call a Native American a white person... he would be a bit offended. AKA kick the hell out of ya. LOLOLOL

Even in the TREK universe I would think it would adhere to the keeping of the trandtions of families, nations and cultures. Ones that are handed down generation after generations, like the Native American Culture has done even now... I pray that we never forget who we are... The writers kinda moved away from that Roddenberry Envision... All races all nations and all people as one... Exploring space.

Also being an Amatuer writer, I have written articles on the people... It is very interesting to speak with Native American Elders and the people... has done this many times... their stories and traditions are very fascinating (ack used Mr. Spock term)

I myself am 1/16 Chikosaw Indian (arkansas) because of family roots. I embrace my heritage and the Native American in me...

The name FRED is like Tonto's first name being Bob, Ralph, Charles, etc.. The name Fred just doesn't work for me.

The others are good names tho... if you are any other nationality. Don't get me wrong here.

Pop Culture at work!

Nathaniel

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  19. Guy Gardener

What do you mean Fred Flintsone wasn't native American?

The guy was living in America 65 million years ago? How can you get much more native than that? Hell even if America was part of Pangaea at that point, so then obviously every one was American, French, Botswanaian and everything else simultaneously

One would assume that Fred's descendants would either evolve into native American type looking native Americans over the next 65 million years (Yes, Homo sapiens are only at most 400,000 years old, but hush.) or they immigrated off to some place in Europe to eventually be Italian or Greek.

Although this lark, it's not too different from the staple of the Mormon faith being that Jews, white, blond, blue eyed Jews, conquered North America 600 years before the birth of Christ and ruled over the native Americans like benevolent caretakers with Jesus after his resurrection for a thousand years.

20. NathanielM

I don't think that counts real civilizations startd truely well close to 2 - 3000bc or so with Greece and Rome... the ancient civilizations.

As for mormons, its all heresay and unfortunately they are full of themselves most of the time for their history, and deny alot of things already proven by science... also the murder and butchery of other people who were of other faiths... If i were you I wouldn't listen to the book of mormon too much... its the beliefs of sections of the bible they want to hear and removed everything else they didn't like... Homigination of the Bible which shouldn't be acceptable. Nothing more than hipocrites liars and murderers second to catholic religion... yep the one who started the inquisition, the crusades and are thieves, now child molestors... how nice!

Fred Flintstone, the cromagnon really were more individuals althought they spent alot of the time in family groups, mostly to protect themseves from predatory animals. I wouldn't think they built cities like modern civilizations, they were alot of the time wanderers.

Response is In my opinion of course. I am not a very religious man although I believe in god and all that. Never really followed any religion much either. sorry if i seem offended by the Mormon Belief.

A bunch of bigomists... and child molestors too...

Nathaniel