Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's more likely that it was chosen because it was an exciting, action-packed scene that would get viewers eager to go to the movie -- while also being SHIELD-centric enough that there was an excuse for tacking it onto an AoS episode. In fact, wasn't the scene of Fury in the car followed by a montage of clips from the movie? So it wasn't about a literal depiction of simultaneity, it was about promotion.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I thought that it worked as part of the episode on a dramatic level because we had just learned that Fury was back and willing to give Coulson answers only to be taken out before he could.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Anyone else feel odd about Ward's character shift? I didn't see him killing the "Clairvoyant" and the 180 love for Skye is out of character. That episode when Ward turned her down to later have sex with May didn't feel like he was actually in love with Skye. I'm almost convinced he's not Ward.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ward building up to following May's end-of-relationship advice?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see Ward shooting the guy as out of character, since we know he's supposedly filled with rage after handling the Asgardian Berserker Staff. If anything, it's odd we haven't seen more violent behavior from him before now. And of course, if he was under orders to shoot the guy, then it's not out of character at all for him to follow that order. It's what he's trained for.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

People are saying it's the berserker staff or he's a traitor, backstabbing his team. I'm the only one suggesting he's not Ward.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking hypnotic trigger, because if he was a traitor, this would out him completely for no reason.

Coulson thinks he's following orders from someone who is not on the level.

He should be removed from the field.

What he did was unprofessional and disproportionate.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If it's supposed to be the berserker staff, they've done a lousy job of dropping any clues for the audience.

Just saw TWS and holy crap if people aren't right. If you can see it, see it.

I don't want to get too specific, but I think it might be possible for the show to spoil some of it without spoiling all of it.

10. Alidar Jarok

Sorry, I thought you meant metaphorically.

I just saw TWS and I agree with The Old Mixer. You absolutely should see it. For two reasons. One, it's a great movie, possibly the best yet. Second, I don't see any way to cabin things. In fact, I'll put it more bluntly, if you don't see The Winter Soldier before Tuesday, you probably should stop watching Agents of SHIELD until you do.

The rest of the post will be in spoilers. The first will just be a quote from earlier in the season, but I kind of want people to tell me if they think it ties into a certain scene in TWS:
    From Seeds:
    Coulson: They changed my memories. Who's to say they didn't change more?

And technically not a spoiler at all, but in tags because of the quote:
    Retroactively, that scene is really interesting. He's talking to May with that quote. She responds with "I say. I know you Phil, and I knew you before. You know I'd be the first to go down that road if I thought it led somewhere. Do you believe me at least?"

In fact:
    The timing of the season, as frustrating as it was, was perfect. I think the movie made the series retroactively better. Likewise, if my theory about that scene is correct, I think there's an added boost that the viewers of the show got that make the movie even better

Now to go back and read all those spoiler tags.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Man, I can't wait to go see TWS on Monday so I can click on all these spoilers! :lol:

12. The Old Mixer

Yeah, that too! It's easily the best of the Phase 2 films...and that may not be saying much considering the competition, but it's said with enthusiasm. This one renews my faith in the franchise.

Even if they manage to play coy with certain details on the show to keep it from spoiling the movie too much, the experience of watching the show should be greatly informed by having seen the film.

13. Guy Gardener

Nah, Thor II was better.

14. The Old Mixer

The first Thor was my personal favorite of the Phase 1 films, but the second completely underwhelmed me. This film brought its A-game.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I forgot to go back a reread the spoilers too. Also, I think people can continue watching the series regardless of whether or not they watched CA:TWS.

I think they'll use Hand (or whoever the Clairvoyant is) to mirror what's happening in TWS to keep the continuity without heavily relying on needing to watch something else to enjoy the show.
    The only movie you really have to watch is Avengers. You didn't have to watch Iron man 3 before watching the series but if you did, you got the Extremis reference. You didn't have to see Thor:TDW before watching it's AoS tie-in. The opening scene of the ship (and one trailer) is all that's needed as the episode shows how Shield handles alien confrontations, then it goes on as its own thing.

It's a stretch but that scene where Black Widow is disguised as a counsel member may make it possible for Ward to not be who he seems.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  16. Alidar Jarok

In response to spoiler 1:
    I can't see how they'd do it without revealing the HYDRA connection and the complete and total destruction of SHIELD as an organization. Both are huge spoilers. Plus, how can you pass up the opportunity to have Coulson and Fury meet as both dead people now?

I just saw your post in the other thread. It's an idea, although I suspect it's unlikely.

I'm going to try and take a stab at breaking down the timeline. I'm sure this will be discussed and hashed out eventually:
    Events in both End of the Beginning and The Winter Soldier happen over a period of days. Because of that, there's room to maneuver, but it's hard to be precise.

The first event is the meeting on the Bus. Sitwell is there and leaves to go to the boat.
    The raid on the boat is next. It also seems to be during the day North America time (night time in the Indian ocean). This could have been the same day as the attempt to find the random people who may be the Clairvoyant.
    The Captain America post-mission events there seem to have a little more space. I'm not sure on the exact timeline, but there's time for both Steve and the SHIELD team to decompress. However, I would suspect that they kill nottheclairvoyant at this point. The reason is they're next instructed that Director Fury is back and will see them at the Triskelion.

Assuming that's true, their events (which are at night) are presumably the night before the attempt to take out Fury (otherwise, I'd imagine they'd hear of the death of Fury). Perhaps the attempt to take out Coulson occur around the same time (in other words, the plane gets redirected to the hub shortly before the fake DC cops try to kill Fury and the Winter Soldier arrives). If that's the case, it would be: Bus gets redirected, attempt on Fury's life, Fury gets shot. Turn, Turn, Turn would presumably take place in the day Steve is attacked in the elevator through to the night with the drone attack with Zola.

I'm also assuming the Bus gets redirected at night in North America. Someone else pointed that out, my memory isn't good enough to confirm. Otherwise, it could be the day he's attacked or even the night he's shot and "killed."

Does that sound about right?

17. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Here's something I don't get. Even if the whole Clairvoyant/Project Centipede thing is indeed connected to
    the HYDRA infiltration of S.H.I.E.L.D and Hand is a HYDRA agent (assuming that this or some other theory is the explanation)
    , I still don't get where Project Centipede got the Extremis from. Gamma radiation generators are easy enough for Marvel supervillains to acquire, previous episodes have showed that numerous unsavory individuals beat S.H.I.E.L.D. to salvaging Chitauri tech, and the pseudo-Erskine formula was probably independently manufactured, but what about Extremis? I thought A.I.M. ended with the deaths of Killian and his Extremis troopers? They didn't collaborate with anyone else, did they?

And on a different note, can someone here clarify for me: is S.H.I.E.L.D. supposed to be a purely United States agency or some kind of international agency?

18. Alidar Jarok

One possibility:
    Wasn't AIM an offshoot of HYDRA in the comics? While we assume it died with Killian, we don't know for a fact that Killian was the only one involved in AIM.

As an alternative, more straight forward approach, I would imagine SHIELD tries to learn of Extremis just like everything else.

SHIELD is an international agency, which is why we've seen the world counsel before and why they were able to assert jurisdiction in Italy. Not every country is involved, though. For example, Malta isn't. I'm getting the impression Russia isn't as well. The Hub wasn't crystal clear on that point, though.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I suppose. I was still left with the feeling that they were misdirecting us with that scene. I'll be surprised if Hand is a traitor or the Clairvoyant-- maybe not Coulson's best friend, but not a traitor.

20. Guy Gardener

Hand could even be playing along like such a ham in hopes that she will be recruited by the Clairvoyant, and then she can turn the tables.