Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's probably her very best angle. :)

2. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my, those look incredible! :drool:

Of what controversy do you speak?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

The Season 2 screencap releases? More and more, I would love to see Season 2 remade by CBS. I just can't bring myself to buy Season 2, regardless of whether or not people say 'it's not that bad'. It's bad enough. Maybe I'll get it used someday...I don't know.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

This is still a VERY scary prospect. Is there any chance of a few screen shots to give us a 'taste' of what this independent post-house is capable of? I certainly hope far closer means indistinguishable.

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Presumably, an S4 trailer will show up soon, if it's included in the S3 set. :)

6. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

If you have been really annoyed by HTV's work and aren't a massive fan of season 2 to begin with then you will not enjoy the blu ray. It's okay if you are prepared to ignore some of the truely managled shots and constant on and off DNR. However, if you are not prepared to be chilled out about those things you will get frustrated at least half a dozen times per episode. The fun and enjoyment of seeing the love and respect that CBS D poured into season 1 is utterly lost when watching season 2. I have tended to come away from at least half of the episodes feeling that a unique opportunity was lost.

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These screenshots are so so good.

If seasons 4 and 6 look halfway between 2 and 3, then I'll still be a happy camper.

Overall, HTV's work is a disappointment, but when I'm watching it without the benefit of screenshot comparisons, I get used to the drop in quality, and it rarely stands out. HTV was mostly just "competent". CBS-D is "above and beyond".

It's a shame they can't get an Emmy or something, because CBS-D deserves accolades for their work beyond just the fans patting them on the back.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sadly I have to agree. With the wild fluctuation in quality from shot to shot, I found watching S2 a much more frustrating experience than watching S1. And it doesn't help that even the live-action stuff in S2 looked far more flat and drab than what we've seen with S1 and S3.

Visually, if any season could have used an extra little bit of love and attention from CBS-D, it was season 2.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never thought the show was "cheap-looking."

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the poster seems to equate age with "cheap"...not by a long shot.

RAMA

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's a great day to be a trekkie today...Empire Mag, Enterprise bluray release, and the continued brilliance of the Trekcore previews for the eagerly awaited season 3 bluray of STNG!

Edit: Finally did a close comparison on my image editor...WOW these season 3 pics are amazing...I'm looking at some of my favorite episodes and they seem like new. We need a few more select images Trekcore!!

RAMA

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  12. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Cheap maybe wasn't the best choice of words there. What I meant was that it looked dated and not up to par with modern production values and that the remastering by CBS D manages to overcome that in a remarkable way.

13. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Care to give an example of where "modern production values" look better than TNG? Most current shows I can think of use a LOT of green screen, which looks cheaper to me than physical mattes, etc.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well the quality was always there, it's just that technology has finally caught up so that we are now able to experience that quality at home.

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Looks great!

4ft model looks great thus far but in episodes like 'The Hunted' the 4ft model looks absolutely awful and no amount of remastering can save those VFX shots, surely?

16. davejames

The 4ft model is a bit chunky, but I thought the effects sequences in The Hunted were cool enough to make up for it. Especially that awesome shot of the little ship bouncing off the Enterprise's shields. Can't wait to see that one on the blu-ray.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's one of the more bittersweet parts of season 2 - it's the last season that uses the 6-footer during its entire run (though they used the 2-footer inappropriately), and HTV spoiled it.

It is nice seeing new shots of the 6-footer in early season 3 (Evolution, Booby Trap), but that all comes to an end in The Defector. :(

The ooooonly time I thought the 4-footer looked good was the overhead shot when it hits the atmosphere in Deja Q. It's ugly from most angles. I understand fattening the saucer rim to make room for Ten Forward, but changing the shape of the secondary hull and the deflector dish made it look too bulbous.

I'd love to know Andrew Probert's thoughts on the 4-footer. Was he ever asked about it?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Man, I wish there was some variation in the ship shots. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that angle for a normal orbit or something.

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well it was insane to rid themselves of the movie quality 6ft model for an inferior one. They should have built a new rig to shoot it on instead :)

20. davejames

Yeah, it's strange. I can understand the need for a smaller model, and the desire to add some thicker aztec plating for extra detail, but it's completely mystifying to me why they ALSO saw the need to fatten up the rest of the ship so much.

At that scale, there's no real point in making room on the model for Ten-Forward. We weren't going to be getting close enough to see it anyway.

My guess is someone at the top simply thought the ship was too sleek and thin before, and wanted to fatten it up a bit.