Episode Dragons teeth

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by ajac09, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ajac09

ajac09 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Near the end janeway says "I wish I had a betazoid.." umm what happened to the one from the episode counterpoint? Guess another nameless casualty. But she acted like she never had a betazoid vs one being a casualty.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Chalk it upto another example of VOY not being consistant. Much like the not having a EMH back-up module to having one, to not having one.

3. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

There's a simple explination for the EMH backup. They created one after Message in a Bottle, and then later it was stolen in Living Whitness

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inconsistency is the trademark of Voyager.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Inconsistency is part of the job."

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If they can create one, they can create more. But didn't they use the whole no EMH back-up thing again?

7. R. Star

In Lifeline(season 7) one of the principle complaints by Janeway and the crew for the EMH going back to Earth was they'd be without an EMH for a month.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You mean several years after the back-up module was stolen. Why didn't they build a new one after it was stolen, it would seem the logical thing to do.

9. R. Star

So they couldn't copy the EMH in Message in a Bottle....
    They could in Living Witness but lost it...
    And couldn't again by Lifeline...

Huh?

10. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

off the top of my head the only time they talked about not having a doctor was Message in a Bottle, which would make sense if they made the back up after that. Then there was virtuoso where he wanted to leave to be a singer, and then Life Line where he wanted to go help zimmerman.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

no,
    there was a backup program that was stolen in Living Whitness. I took a guess and said it was probably created after the doctor got back to the ship after Message in a bottle

12. R. Star

Gah meaning Living Witness in the second line. ;)

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This episode will be on H&I tonight.

Tell me the underspace doesn't look a lot like Babylon 5's hyperspace.

14. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Loved the Vaadvaur, and thought they should have appeared again as recurring villains.

15. TonyLeung82

TonyLeung82 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Betazoid from Counterpoint did obviously die in Equinox, where 3 from the crew died. So she was of course missing later in "Dragons Teeth"

16. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, they were great villains. It's a pity that none of the Trek writers used them in future novels, considering their use of wormholes.

17. Voth commando1

I believe they do exist in the relaunch novels and STO

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

To me--I always looked at Star Wars as if they started off with an ability to use the under (hyper)space--and nver bothered with increasing warp factors--and all the tech that went with that.

Something I remembered. The opening credits of ENTERPRISE's episode "In a Mirror Darkly"
    You see a skyscraper hit by the Terran Empire--it was a re-use of the footage from this episode's early minutes.

19. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Note that in "Counterpoint", Lon Sudor(a betazoid) is mentioned also, and that he died in a conflict with the Kazon. So +1 for Voyager continuity. As for her line in Dragon's Teeth, I believe it's a reference to Troy. A fourth wall wink and ultimately throwaway line. It doesn't follow that she will go fetch that betazoid crewman that scrubs plasma conduits, and bring her up to the bridge for diplomatic counsel.

As for the EMH backup module, there's no way he was simply a "copy" of the doctor. He was part of the doc's program, and was lost or stolen. The curator managed to recreate the doc out of that backup module.

The writing staff wanted to do a mirror episode for VOY, possibly a 2-part crossover with DS9. DS9's mirror verse made that impossible(unless you abandon Voyager's circumstances.) What we got with "Living Witness" ended up being a much more meaningful story, while still getting entertaining "mirror verse" moments and characters.

20. Voth commando1

Can you cite a source for Voyager's writing staff wanting a mirror universe DS9 crossover?