"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I agree and that was the point I was getting at. He has made his first step but it's a long journey. I doubt the night he found the cave he goes out in the suit right away. He had no knowlege of Bruce's tech or methods. He will have to explore and understand everything in the cave. No way Bruce would not guide him in some way.

2. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Granted - but at least the story actually dealt with why the police were paralyzed. How many action flicks are there which take place in major urban centers where the entire police force seems to consist of 4 guys who just get shot or wreck their cars within 5 seconds of coming on screen? I mean, seriously - how many cops did you ever see in a Spider-Man movie, even with supervillains attacking large public gatherings?

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I decided to wait a week out respect of what happened in colorodo. Plan to see it this saturday.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

How was Bruce Wayne's "death" explained?

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The suggestion I saw somewhere was that he was supposed to have been killed during the occupation, being a "rich guy".

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Make sense. I thought of that too just now.

I do think though, that the Joker is such an outlandish character that he could be played by a lot of people and impress an audience just as well as Ledger did.

I agree. As much as I love Nolan's trilogy, Bale never struck me as the ideal embodiment of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He did do an excellent job of playing up the lazy playboy image of Bruce though.

Funny, because he's pretty much "TINO". Tony In Name Only. I don't know everything about Iron Man/Tony Stark, but the guy we saw in the movies isn't the one I've seen in the past. Downey plays his own version of the character, but people like his take because he's a charismatic actor.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's true. There seems in superhero films either a complete absence of the police or they are incompetent.

While the underground holding of virtually the entire police force is an implausible plot device it didn't distract from the film generally. I was just nitpicking.

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

FWIW: Robert Downey Jr was also epic as Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder. Another example of him owning a role. He would have won the Oscar, but it went to Heath Ledger that year. He was nominated, though. In any other year, he would have been a shoe-in.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

RDJ has the avantage of being the only the person to play the live action Iron Man/Tony Stark, unlike Christian Bale and Batman/Bruce Wayne.

10. Set Harth

I felt that way about the entire last act of the Burton film.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huffington Post had some funny nitpicks:

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The timing is certainly tight, but it really doesn't make any sense for it to be Alfred's fantasy. We're supplied with two independent verified indications that Bruce survived (the missing necklace and the autopilot patch, which Bruce outright lied about to witnesses to make it look like he was going to die), and, though this is more subjective, Selina's presence with Bruce really makes little sense as an Alfred fantasy. He wasn't around for any of their interactions.

13. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

I think this sums up my most basic problem with TDKR perfectly-- it missed the very essence of the character of Batman. Sure, it had a costume and a "bat vehicle" and a "not-called-Catwoman-version-of-Catwoman" but it really wasn't a good BATMAN movie. Just watch Batman: The Animated Series and you'll see a MUCH better version of the character. A man who dedicates his entire life to protecting the innocent of Gotham because of his parent's murder does not just "give up" over a girl with whom he shared a single kiss and a hand-hold.

Nope. Sorry... don't buy it.

I won't even go into all of the other HUGE logical holes in the film but it is, IMHO, the WEAKEST of Nolan's films. He was closest in Batman Begins-- and even then he was only about 60% of the way there.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And the fact that somebody replaced the Bat-Signal on Gordon's roof.

There's no ambiguity here. All those epilogues happened, including the bit in Italy. And Bruce deliberately went to Florence so Alfred could see him there, just as he had always wanted to . . . .

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I've read that people also had trouble with Gary Oldman's dialogue. He was mumbling some things in his hospital room.

Also when he was at Blakes apartment he said something like

"When you're in my shoes let see how well you handle things"

And yes I had trouble understanding Bane sometimes.

-Prologue

-A few words at the stock exchange

-Sewer fight

16. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Fair

The positives... good ending and Catwoman was much better than I thought she'd be. Talia is hot. The Robin arc I dug. Talia is hot. other than that, there's not much to like.

The negatives... Much like the Dark Knight, the pacing is horrible. I definitely felt like I was in the theatre for 3 hours watching a whole bunch of nothing happen on screen. Nolan has no idea how to make a story flow.

Bane was nothing but a pansy ass, stupid, mustache twirling villian without his painkillers. His voice was also meh. I understood most of what he said, but there were still quite a few times I had no idea what he was talking about. I liked how they tried to work in the Knightfall sorta-back breaking, but Bruce getting back to 100% in 2 1/2 weeks is ridiculous.

Once again, no detective work at all. This trilogy is a Batman series in name only. This is not Batman. It's ninjaman with gadgets to get him out of every predicament. Like the Bat.....

Speaking of which, while getting the Batman Beyond batmobile 70 years ahead of its time was a cool nod, if I hear another person call this series "realistic", my head will implode. Dark and brooding emo does not equate to being "realistic".

The emo was the biggest problem of all. it's nothing but Bruce being down on himself and whining for 3/4 of the movie. even Alfred goes emo.... sweet jesus. and then you don't see him for half the movie. Interplay between Batman and Alfred is integral to good Batman... but alas, as I said earlier, this is not Batman.

The Dark Knight Rises simply is not a fun movie to watch. It's not because it's trying to be a deep movie or artsy, because it's not either of those things. It simply isn't fun. I loved Batman Begins, though TDK was great for the first half, then fell apart in the second half... this movie then continued down that path. The no fun path. I had a glimmer of fun the last minute or two, but that was it.

In closing, I can't wait for a reboot. I think a 4th flick could be cool. Maybe even, dare I say, fun, because of the Batman Beyond-sorta set up... and Beyond is my fav take on Bats. But, I don't trust Nolan and I want a real Batman flick. Actual detective work and using his wits instead of his fists and tech. I'm happy this take on Batman is at an end. next.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

His Comic-Con 2012 enterance was pure Tony Stark

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4OHn77YNZI[/YT]

He should have said "Oh, it's good to be back!"

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it seems like there wasn't one moment when this Batman wasn't tortured and conflicted about something. We never see him become the calm, wise, and confident detective we see in the comics or BTAS or JLU. And as hard as the movies tried, he never felt to me half as mythic or larger than life as Burton's Batman.

Ultimately, as great as the first two movies were, I just think Nolan grounded the character and mythos a little TOO much. They're not Batman movies-- they're crime dramas with a little bit of Batman sprinkled in here and there.

19. Set Harth

Yeah, I'm kind of baffled that some people insist on seeing this as an Inception ending.

Not all Nolan movies are ambiguous, and none of his Batman movies are.

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

On people having trouble hearing the characters talk, it probably partly due to bad sound setup in the theater you went to.