Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep seeing comments about how ground combat is bad and weak...

Can you folks be a little more specific ? What are the problems with it ?

2. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, apart from race and gender, you can change everything.

3. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I'm actually slowly coming around on Ground Combat. Did a mission to a Gorn world that absolutely ruled. The important thing about GC is to treat it as a strategy game, not a FPS. Just set your gun to auto-fire, select a target, then start thinking about the rest of your crew and how to flank the enemy and use exploits to bring them down. Combat actually gets much more interesting if you start thinking in this fashion.

4. timmy84

timmy84 Commodore Commodore

The problem I guess is that guns don't fare to well when you have the invisible die rolling in the background.

I'm not to bothered by it after playing so many MMOs, but I understand why people are complaining about it.

:borg:

5. Destructor

I know this isn't very specific, but it's hella clunky. What does clunky mean?

Okay, for starters, it's very hard to take cover. If there isn't a wall or a hill to hide behind, crates and plants won't help you. You don't always feel like you're 'there', more like you are floating above the surface.

It's not very deadly. People shoot at each other for quite a while before someone comes down (unless you use strategy to implement an exploit/attack to one-shot them, which I advise). Also enemy AI often means people will run right up to you and PAST you as you are shooting them- not very strategical!

It's difficult to define, but it's definitely clunky.

6. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Earth Spacedock, Admiral Quinn. That mission was ridiculously hard! The ground combat was easy but the space combat... I must have died 10 times. That's more than I died the first time I did the Gorn hostage mission. Probably because I had to do the whole thing with Mk 2 weapons, which is another complaint of mine. :klingon:

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

New patch....

All Sectors open and Level cap is gone :techman: Also Nimoy voice will appear :techman: and other changes like balancing combat for example all of the AI won't target you because your 0.1km closer than rest of your fleet :lol:

I bet they haven't fixed player model crash in space :shifty:

9. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been a player model in space, and a ship model on the ground tons of times and I've never had a crash.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The new patch has given the game a massive makeover and I love it for the most parts :techman: Also many bugs have been fixed, the map is actually worth something and I don't appear in space as model. Did a mission with 4 other lovely people and we kicked GORN ass and now am on the verge of Lt.Cmdr and my new ship to be called USS Kirkby after where I love (current is USS Drake).

Only thing I don't like is the fed trading ships say there always closed and yet spam me with same messages several times when am not near. Also the temp power up bar is gone and they merge into the power up abilities tab, too clunky for my liking.

Oh i came across a freak bug where my ship spammed about 6/7 Quantum torpedoes in a row at an enemy ship :lol: he didn't survive long.

11. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The character creator seems very cool indeed:bolian:
    Here is couple of videos( from the beta) I found from Youtube about it.
    They illustrate the different options pretty well:

Federation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4XzXZZ7obg

Klingon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyUvZfOBlQ

12. chris32482

chris32482 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can you play this game with a Controller, or does it have to be keyboard/mouse?

13. PluckyNinja

PluckyNinja Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

14. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Risa is lovely this time of the year. :D

As far as ground combat and hiding behind stuff, I just get my engineer to setup one of those shield things. I was having trouble with some of the later stuff until I started giving my crew commands instead of relying entirely on their own AI.

What type of computer do you have and video card, PluckyNinja?

15. Destructor

I'm sorry, but this is wrong. You have near total control over your bridge officer's appearance, skills, qualities, the works.

16. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Not exactly. You cannot select innate traits and you can't change gender/species. You can train new abilities for them, but it costs prestige or whatever they call that currency. So basically what you have to do if you want to fully customize your officers is to first pick one with the correct race/gender (of course you can always pick an "unknown" race, but then the innate traits are random), customize their appearance and then unless you got really lucky, go and buy the abilities you want for them. This is all doable, but it will take time and points... and you still never get to pick the innate traits, which amount to passive bonuses.

It's also made a bit dicey by the new feature they added last night where every few levels you get an uncommon or rare bridge officer with better innate traits... but give you no choices as to their race/gender. So if you want to get the bonus from any of those, it looks like you'll be locked in. You can still customize within those boundaries of course... but damnit, Bolians are ugly, I don't want any on my bridge :p

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, if you want to spend the cash to do that, otherwise you get what you get.

18. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Very cool...buy the way McAfee gives your site a yellow rating???

20. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Not entirely sure what that means, but it could have something to do with the web host?

I use 000webhost.com for my site, nice and free, decent amount of space, and I'll stop there before this turns into an advertisment.

Anyway, could that be what McAfee is crying about? Either that or it knows who I am and is making stuff up cause it knows I don't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.