Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite adventuress, er, Asaaj Ventress helps to liven things up. Those Coruscant security forces are surprisingly competent and effective. I gotta agree with the visuals, some parts of this I think are genuinely feature quality.

I know you hate the supposed predictability of that action but Anakin's characterization in ROTS already seems off (to me at least) now after watching him in Clone Wars. I don't know if the narrative of ROTS is so precious as to not want to rock the boat.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Took them long enough to think of firing off a stun blast. Come on, guys, you're not fighting Batman. Those guns are for shooting!

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course! That must be it. I was trying to figure it all out... the mystery person who knocked out Ventress and took her blades. It looked like a Clone Wars style adult female body shape. I was thinking it was Aurra Sing but that's too random and out of the story.

Mistaken identity and deception, very Hitchcock-esque.

I'm kind of hoping that if this arc is Ahsoka leaving the Jedi order that she joins forces with Ventress. I really liked the dynamic of them together. Ahsoka's rationalization that they have a lot in common is spot on, especially if Ahsoka is unable to clear her name (and Ventress) because of the council's unwillingness to trust her again.

We know that Ventress will be in the finale since they included the set-up that Baris-as-Ventress attacks Ahsoka and leads to her being captured. Maybe Ventress busts her out and they go on their way together and that's the season 5 finale?

Are Ahsoka and Anakin are going to be pitted against each other throughout season 6? The final look he gives her at the end... it might serve to explain a la retcon whatever 'disconnect' Anakin has towards Ahsoka during ROTS.
    Golly those new Clone Transports are teh sexy!1. Lego, please. :D Those great red windscreens and TIE style wings... very cool!

4. Mr. Adventure

It will be interesting to see if next week ends with restoring the status quo or if they do something like has been mentioned.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Speaking of character designs and shapes... their attempt to conceal Ventress's identity behind the helmet didn't work for me at all, because I recognized the shape of her head right away. Of course, I had heard that Ventress would be in the episode, but I didn't remember that until I saw the helmet with that distinctive shape.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Barriss Offee good for Force-choking Letta Turmond, though? If she is, damn!

7. ALF

So... maybe the nanodroids are 'controlling' Barriss?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Barriss is the obvious (and only) choice as well. I hope there's not a reset button at the end. Lets have some real drama.

9. ALF

I rewatched and I've been thinking this over. There's something absolute about Ahsoka banished/left for dead without revealing Barriss' interference to the rest of the Jedi. Ahsoka may even never figure out whodunnit. Maybe Maul is manipulating Barriss? I can't figure out the motivation but Barriss' character may end not being revealed as the traitor (or the manipulator). But whoever attacked Ahsoka has serious skills.

The finale trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opiRQShjX0

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've not been watching consistently so bear with me with this...is Ventress still around? Could she be in play regarding the arc?

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually didn't guess that was Ventress at all I thought it was just a random bounty hunter character. I didn't see a promo with her in it so I wasn't thinking of her.

I found the hand to hand fight a little ridiculous, personally. Too many instances of a Clone Trooper aiming a gun right at them and not firing, just watching while they take out his compatriots. Why not just set the gun to stun and fire into the crowd? Because the plot didn't dictate that yet? They were using stun last episode.

I was also disappointed they set up Plo Koon looking for Ashoka, but they never had a "Fugitive" scene together.

12. Christopher

They already did the Fugitive thing with Anakin last week. It would've been kind of repetitive.

13. Mr. Adventure

I usually miss those things but the sabers gave it away for me this time.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another great episode. This is a real good arc for Ashoka and the team up with Ventress was great. If she winds up a bounty hunter or dead, perhaps at Anakin's hand, next week, I am okay with that. I would prefer more of a conclusion to her story than the open-ended send off in the comics (which I'm assuming was done to keep her viable for future stories). Though if she does escape death, I wouldn't mind if she survived all of the Clone Wars either. Ventress could be a good villain for the new films. Though I have to wonder if Maul might not be resurrected for the new films, courtesy of the Clone Wars. He too would make a good villain.

I liked the Anakin-Windu exchange, though I wish Anakin had displayed more pique. I also liked how Obi Wan came to Anakin's defense.

I would rather the assailant not be Offee, though she does seem the obvious choice. I like the character and would rather see the CW writers doing a big fake out instead of going with the obvious. For a moment there I thought it might be Maul who attacked Ventress until I got a better look.

15. Mr. Adventure

I think Maul would be hard to explain to those who have only seen the films while Ventress would be a blank slate to those without a history of her.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed the episode. The Ventress/Ashoka team up was fun, and once again we got some beautiful animation. I liked the hand-to-hand fight. I do agree that Barriss Offee does see to be the most likely suspect at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they threw some kind of a twist in there at the end.

17. Christopher

I doubt they'd kill off Ahsoka while the show's still in production. After all, she's the only lead character whose future isn't dictated by ROTS, so she's the only one that can have any real growth or change in her character arc. They'd be fools to give that up. Heck, that's no doubt why they created her in the first place.

For that matter, Ahsoka's the character who's played the largest role in the current season. There have been five 4-part arcs this season: Onderon, the younglings, D-Squad, Maul/Mandalore, and the current Jedi-traitor arc. And Ahsoka's been a central character in three of those arcs, more than Anakin or Obi-Wan. By this point, Ahsoka is effectively the star of the show. Now, one could argue that they're just featuring her so heavily because they know she's about to go out, but I don't think that'll be the case, for the reasons I gave above.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I think if they do kill off or get rid of Ashoka it won't be until the very last arc of the show.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I pretty much said what Christopher did a couple pages ago. Ahsoka was specifically created for the film and the series, as being a POV type character and one we were going to follow until the series concluded. I doubt that Filoni would fool us all by writing her out early. While that would be a surprise "twist" I think that would piss off and alienate a lot of the show's fans going into potentially the final season. We know now that they have her "ultimate fate" sorted out...but I doubt this would be it.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think either scenario is insurmountable. It wouldn't take much to explain that Maul was restored by dark side magic. Plus Maul remains a very visible figure in Star Wars, due to the recent Phantom Menace 3-D, the Clone Wars cartoon, and other media.

With Ventress, being a blank slate for a new movie could be a benefit. Her back story won't have to be explained in much detail anyway. If she does come back, I could see her as Sith Lord in her own right and the other Star Wars films have gotten along fairly well without exploring much history for Palpatine, Maul, or Dooku.