storm and floods in GB - is everyone ok?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

we had the opposite problem in 1999/2000 when a terrible draught followed a flood year. I saw a wonderful cartoon back then: Chancellor standing on a stage in a dry riverbed, proudely claiming: "my government's flood preventing policy works perfectly!"

The last 3 years have been extraordinarily dry in Bavaria. We've only had some 25 or 30 rainy days this year in my district (drizzle included). And about 20 thunderstorms and 6 hailstorms.
    Paradoxely, draughts can cause floods, too: extremely dry soil is unable to suck the water up. It runs off the surface as if it were glazed.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I live halfway up a steep hill so once I was in danger from floods we'd be collecting two of every animal. However, my drive to work has been... soggy the last week, and I spent all Monday night helping a friend sweep water out of his living room in Congressbury.

What a crap winter.

3. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I'm in Exeter, and the River Exe was scarily high a few days ago. The city was last flooded badly in 1960, after which the current flood defences were built. They work well for my part of the city, but on either side of the defences there was bad flooding. Both main line train lines out of Exeter towards London were closed, the Waterloo line due to a landslip near Yeovil, and the Bristol-Paddington line because of severe flooding just outside the main station. The flood water had receded now, but the damage to the track bed will still take several days to fix.

It worries me that flooding this bad has happened so early in the season. Thankfully the next few days should stay dry, but the ground may remain sodden for much longer, so any further heavy rain may be disastrous.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Promisingly, the forecast appears to have switched from 'wet' to 'cold'.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's starting to freeze in this neck of the country, had to scrape some ice of my car before I could leave work.

6. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

Fortunately we live pretty high up and the most that's happened is a couple of hour long powercuts (which have stopped). I really feel for anyone who's been flooded, it must be awful. :(

I hate the rain, so I probably live in the wrong country, but at least it was sunny & dry today.

There have been one or two small ones near where I live but it's only a bit mud/stone etc on the side of the road, nothing serious that I've seen.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the UK basically has these season

A Warmish and Wet Season (spring)
    A Warm and Wet Season (Summer)
    A Cool and Wet Season (Autumn)
    A Cold and Wet Season (Winter)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And apprently back to wet next week :(

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just expect rain or worse in the UK and all you can be is pleasntly suprised if the weather turns out nice.

10. rhubarbodendron

You live in the wrong part of GB, apparently. I've been to Britain pretty often over the last 15 years and it rained only once. For a week, though.

Your rain arrived in Bavaria this morning. Just in time for me to get soaked on my way to work LOL. Atm it's snowing and the forecast predicts more snow and frost for the weekend. The river has already risen quite impressively, but I don't expect major flooding.

My appartment is in a pentouse on top of a shopping mall, so I am quite safe anyway and the only danger is that I might raid the sweets store that's right under my terrace :D

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Britain isn't always this wet, and I still think we have a pretty good climate for the most part, we don't get the extremes a lot of countries do.

12. rhubarbodendron

indeed. And you have these awesome lawns everyone envies you!
    And very handsome men!

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True Britain doesn't suffer the extremes of hot and old that some countries do. But it does have a rather changeable climate, and as in general extreme weather is rare it makes it hard to plan for. Which is why sometimes in heavy snow the country creaks to almost a halt. After all is it worth spending millions to plan for a once in ten year event?

14. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

^There's been at least 3 or 4 times with countrywide heavy snow in the last 4 years though. It's becoming more common, of the top of my head, last winter was the first that we had none since 2008 and that's here in the Southwest. In the north obviously it's much more common.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

This is the trouble, places like Norway and Sweden get the same every winter, and have been used to dealing with it for decades, we don't so we get caught on the hop. And yeah last year was quite mild by comparison to the few that went before it, though we did get some snow. I can still remember not so long ago us going through a period of many years practically snow free for the most part, but I remember as a child it always seeming to snow, so these things come and go.

Which makes a bugger planning for it because too many mild winters in a row and suddenly councils are wasting money. They cut back and we then get a bad winter and suddenly it's "Why weren't you ready?"

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Agreed, another issue is their are quite a few idiots out there that don't adapt their driving to suit the snowy/icey conditons.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh ain't that the truth!

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I loathe driving in snow, and I've crawled along at 10-15 mph (in a 60 zone) which was the limit any faster and you could feel the car losing traction.

19. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

That British storm is here now, I guess. We're getting a bit of wind and snow in the Southern Finland: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1288520351445.html (article is in Finnish, but pictures will tell more than a thousand words)

Funny thing is, two days ago there wasn't any snow on the ground.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The problem is that some parts are more affected by others, in the area where I live, yes we've had a little bit of snow, but no where near as bad as some parts of the country. Some winters you are listening to the news about heavy snow yet outside there isn't even a flake of the white stuff.

So how do you allocate resources? Do you focus them on certain areas? And how do you justify it to the taxpayers that you are only allocating resources to certain areas and not the whole country?