DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Picked up today:

Action
    Detective
    Earth 2
    Worlds' Finest
    Dial H
    Smallville

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, some interesting damage to the suit that Powergirl took in this month's World's Finest, don't you think? ;)

Earth2 continues to be pretty awesome as well. This may not be the Justice Society that we know and love, but these new versions of the characters are all interesting and likable enough. Are you reading this Geoff Johns? This is how you tell a team origin.

3. Trekker4747

Heh, yeah, I noticed that.

I also like the look of the Harley Quinn figurine advertised in the DC comics this week.

4. OdoWanKenobi

I hate her New 52 look, but that statue...:drool:

5. Trekker4747

Yeah, she does look particularly delicious in that figure.

6. Trekker4747

So... the whole "Death of Clark Kent" thing is reversed by a reset button?

Nice.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess this mean that the main villain is the renegade 5th Dimensional Imp that the landlady was talking about.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has there been any previous indication that the landlady was more than she appeared? Because in my brain this came out of nowhere.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope...I think way back at the start of the thread I theorized she could be Mxy in disguise...I believe it was House of UIster who suggested someone else from the Fifth Dimension, or something like that. It was a long time ago now we discussed this lol. The Imp definitely seems to be Fifth Dimension.

10. Trekker4747

I never read anything into the landlady as being anything more than Roy Munson's landlady in "Kingpin." But here she's all, well I'll wish your alter ego back to life! Rather than, you know, Superman/Clark having to figure out how to come back on his own. Bit of a cop out.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Her name kind of gives it away plus the stuff she knew about Superman and Clark suggested she had been observing him for awhile.

12. Admiral_Young

Action Comics #12: This was simply grand. Morrison's re-imagining of Captain Comet was fantastic, would have never guess this in part one. Yah it's pretty obvious now that Clark's landlady is indeed from the Fifth Dimension and related to Mxy since she called him her nephew. The imp is most definitely Morrison's "big bad" in this arc IMO. I think we're progressing slowly to what is going to be a grand finale. The Batman appearance/follow up was awesome.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometime this weekend I'm going to read Animal Man and Swamp Thing #12s, prelude to Rotworld.

I'm doing a massive "entertainment budget" overhaul though very soon. I've made up my mind on what will happen with my Marvel choices. When some end in the next few issues I'll not be getting the new #1s. With DC I'm going to cease the bulk of the books at issue #0 and/or until the current arc is done.

The exception book I'm going to continue with, for now, is Aquaman.
    Hate to do it but this comes around from time to time and I really exploded my DC purchases to try the nu52, especially the lower tier characters. TPB time again for most all.

14. Admiral_Young

Grant Morrison discusses Batman Incorporated. The Mutants from "The Dark Knight Returns" are slated to make an appearance. I'm starting to think that Morrison is actually going to conclude his run with the Future Damian Batman now. Everything since Batman# 666 seems to be leading to this point now IMO. I could be wrong but that is what it appears like to me.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40303

Also new details revealed in solicits...including the identity of the new Green Lantern. I forgot Dan DiDio was writing the Phantom Stranger book...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/spoilers-retailer-dc-sept-oct-solicits.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  15. OdoWanKenobi

It's sounding more and more like this fifth Green Lantern is gonna be a major character, possibly even replacing one of the core four. I'd hate to see that happen. I love Hal, Kyle, John, and Guy. I love them all.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm pretty sure he is going to be a major character since he was first revealed in the free comic book day issue as being a part of the Trinity War.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all over some Detective Comics and Batman right now. Can't seem to get into any other of the Batman titles though.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Well, yeah, he's obviously gonna be part of that. I meant that rumors seem to be he'll be sticking around afterwards.

19. Admiral_Young

Oh sorry. I'm sure he's being set up to be part of Johns next big Green Lantern arc.

20. Trekker4747

I'm dropping Detective when the current arc is over and stick with "Batman" as my only Batman title.