What Should Be Done for Star Trek's 50th

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by CaptainJon, May 25, 2014.

1. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Captain Captain

I don't know how much Trek's 50th has been discussed around here, but here's whatI would do if I was in charge over there.

First, I'd make it a year-long celebration. Each of the modern series would have a reunion television movie penned by various writers from each series.

In January 2016, Enterprise. Bring in Manny Coto to pen a tele-movie that covers the Earth-Romulan Wars and lays the foundation for the Federation. Actually do something with the characters to show what they've accomplished since the show went off the air...don't have them stuck in the same place like in the finale.

In March 2016, The Next Generation. Have someone like Ronald D. Moore write a tele-movie that shows the aftermath of Romulus's destruction. I'd have a story where factions of the Klingon Empire want to invade the Romulans and the Federation comes to their rescue.

In May 2016, Deep Space Nine. Maybe Ira Steven Behr? Bring Sisko back from the Celestial Temple and show what's gone on with Bajor and Cardassia since the series. Maybe even bring in the Dominion and Odo?

In July 2016, Voyager. Maybe Kenneth Biller? Pit Voyager against the Borg...yes, done to death but see where I'm going with this. It's not your normal encounter, it's a prelude to a much worse invasion in...

A 3-part mini-series in September 2016 to coincide with the actual anniversary of Star Trek's first airing. Unite the TNG-era crews in a massive battle against the Borg based on David Mack's excellent Star Trek: Destiny books. I'm sure it would be adapted for all the crews and the pieces would already be setup from the individual reunion tele-movies so you've already got everybody's background. It would be epic and give each cast one last hurrah on Trek's 50th anniversary before...

The big one! What I call, Star Trek Legends (I'd call it Federation but that's already taken by another excellent novel. An epic theatrical movie that unites the cast of the 2009 movie with TNG and ENT as the two future crews are sent back in time to preserve the birth of the Federation. We can learn the true identity of "Future Guy", find out how Trip really died, and finally see the Federation's real foundation. And of course, the story includes a special appearance for Mr. Shatner himself as well as cameos for the rest of the original series cast and with today's technology, you can get both Mr. Kelley and Mr. Doohan in there. I have an original storyline all worked out for Legends and everything.

At least, this is what I would do if I had any say over there at Paramount. 50 years is big and they should follow Doctor Who's example over on the BBC and make it big.

What are your thoughts?

2. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

If you're talking pie-in-the-sky, go ahead and dream all you want. In reality, your plans are far too expensive with insufficient payback to make it plausible. Further, it is rather unlikely that you could get enough key members of the old casts to make this happen.

I seldom watch it and don't follow it much, but does your Trek suggestion really follow Doctor Who's approach? Is Doctor Who planning four TV movies and a mini-series that require extensive set creation and the attempted re-assembly of numerous casts and crews? And a major theatrical motion picture?

In a more practical vein, I would like to see the next Trek movie released in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary. It would be a completely new adventure and not derivative of anything that has gone before. It would open with a splash screen of a terrifically designed 50 year logo. Perhaps a montage of scenes from all of the old series and movies could be assembled and shown as a 'trailer' after the end of the film? I think even that would have some rights issues to deal with.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner appears in the next Star Trek film. Just find a way. I suspect the idea has to come from him.

Ideally I'd like Scott Bakula and/or Patrick Stewart to be in the cast list, alongside Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto et all too.

Archer's not a problem, since he's in the past of this universe. He's either really old, or deader than JFK or Nixon. But part of historical events you can make relevant to the plot. Like responsible for something negative, such as starting the Romulan War (from the enemy's perspective anyway) as well as something positive, like forming the Federation.

Picard is admittedly more difficult to achieve and definitely requires time-travel. If not a universe cross-over.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Captain Captain

Absolutely I recognize it's far too expensive and would be really difficult to get everybody back. Plus, no DW didn't go that far but they did make a big deal about their 50th and it would be nice if somebody made some kind of effort to make Trek's 50th not just another movie but a real tribute to the franchise. Is my idea ever gonna happen? No way in hell. But it would be nice if someone over there at Paramount was trying to do something special and not just another movie. Hopefully the movie they do release is a celebration and not just the same old thing.

BTW, ChristopherPike, you know how they can work a montage into the storyline? The Guardian of Forever.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I loved them, I think we got enough continuity nods in Into Darkness to cover Trek's 50th, 100th and 150th anniversaries. I just want a new adventure with Kirk and crew. Hopefully first-time director Bob Orci won't let us down.

That, and a big novelverse trilogy about the supernova destroying Romulus and Remus, and the resulting fallout.

And a new Starfleet Technical Manual, covering the Enterprise, Vengeance, Kelvin, Newton and other ships from the new movies.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What we'll likely get are a series of interview with the aging stars, some nice marathons on syfy and that will be about it.

:)

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well we already know we are getting a movie for it. As for what else there might be maybe a few documentaries but I can't see much beyond that. Unless by some miracle they announce a new show to premiere in 2018 or something like that.

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek 3 and the four cancelled Abramsverse novels are all I need.

10. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    For me, the best thing would be for NuTrek III to end with the crew defeating / destroying the technobabble anomaly which, in 100 years or so, would have ultimately destroyed the Hobus star -- thereby causing the timeline to reset. The final scene could be a giant flame sliding across the galaxy, completing with the consumption of Ryan Church's Enterprise, and leaving us with Matt Jefferies' 1701 flying off into the distance.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Preventing the destruction of Romulas in the prime universe would be great, while I'm not the biggest Romulan fan, they need to be a on-going presence, ocassionally causing havoc for our heroes in the future beyond DS9's last episode.

Having Abrams alternate universe "un-split" from the prime would be a fantastic way of bringing to an end his three movie pocket universe.

:)

12. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Huge 50th Anniversary celebration down in Vegas at the official ST convention...maybe coax Leonard Nimoy out of retirement for the special occasion?

ST3 release...along with major fan service. I want Shat in it! Or at the very least some cameos from other ST actors.

The announcement that a new ST TV series is in production, set in the Abramsverse, with JJ producing.

These wishes represent my "pie-in-the-sky" wishes, and a realistic expectation. Make it happen, suits!

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

NASA should launch their first warp capable spacecraft.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

• A 50th anniversary TV special.
    • Lots of 50th anniversary merchandise.
    • Star Trek XIII.

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Doctor Who had one 50th special that did bring back a couple of previous doctors. They probably had some tv interviews or whatnot, but on BBC America I remember just the 50th Anniversary Special. Of course merchandise too.

16. Captain Kathryn

YES! :rommie::rommie:

17. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Thing about Doctor Who though is that it's been back in TV production since 2005 and has been really popular, while Trek has really just had the two movies recently.

18. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

CBS/Paramount will do whatever they think will generate buzz for the franchise. I personally expect:

-the next movie, of course.

-some type of merchandising push marking fifty years of Trek.

-maybe something for TV, the best (and yet most extreme) option being a new series, but probably some kind of retrospective. It could even be a series of small retrospectives, one for each series, ala The Captains on Epix.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Would that be The five(ish) Doctors reboot?

Which was actually quite good, it's a shame it was on the Red Button instead of being broadcast on one of the BBC TV channels.

20. Captain Kathryn

Nah I mean the 50th Anniversary special that they aired on BBC (in my case BBC America).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Doctor

Tom Baker was really the only "before new" doctor to be featured. But they showed images at the end of them all if I recall correctly.